Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/this-that-2/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/this-that-2/"></a></div>
<strong>From Germany

</strong>I received a price list from a German dealer today, omitted on the price list was the 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark IV. The dealer is a pro dealer.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark II Crazy Price

</strong>Best Buy dumping 5D Mark II’s for what appears to be below cost.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=5808106782158323045&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=canon+5d+mark+2&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960">Visit Best Buy 5D Mark II Listing</a></p>
<p><strong>Canon Australia bug or more?

</strong>The 5D Mark II is listed twice on the Canon Australia web site, it wasn’t like this a little while ago. A placeholder or a mistake?</p>
<p><a href="http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras">http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras</a></p>
<p><strong>*UPDATE*</strong> It was pointed out to me that if you click the second 5D Mark II link, the URL says “6D” at the end. <em>*thanks Mike*</em></p>
<p>Nothing else too crazy today.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Mar 25, 2011
I'm always wary of stores that advertise low prices on out of stock equipment. The price has a way of jumping back up wen it gets in stock. They may do this to attract traffic to their site. (Bait and switch).

Here is a good example of a camera that you will never see at the listed price. Check out nikon's advertised price for a refurb D3S which is never in stock, of course. its cheaper than the D3 which is in stock!
http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/list/Refurbished_Cameras/parentCategoryID.43896400/categoryID.43896500/?sortBy=high&resid=Ti2LHAoBAlUAAEVjANEAAABH&rests=1312945998467

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
It was pointed out to me that if you click the second 5D Mark II link, the URL says “6D” at the end. <em>*thanks Mike*</em></p>

i'm sure i'm not the only one who played around with the endings of the URL.
1DS, 1Dmk4, 5D, 6D (the second link from 5Dmk2), 7D work.
but 1DSmk4, 1Dmk5, 3D, 4D, go to a 404page.

damn. i hope it is a placeholder and not a bug. but 6D (split of 5Dmk2 line perhaps?) coming before 1Ds4/1D5? unfortunately i don't think so...

Upvote 0
J

JasonM

dr croubie said:
damn. i hope it is a placeholder and not a bug. but 6D (split of 5Dmk2 line perhaps?) coming before 1Ds4/1D5? unfortunately i don't think so...

Can't be a typo... someone in the web dept created the "6D" page and replicated the 5Dmk2 info. I'm not saying it's a 6D put definitely a placeholder. Or someone at Canon putting out some fodder for us to chew on.

Upvote 0
Heres hoping that they do split the 5D line and the 6D becomes the "video focused" FF DSLR that people want the 5D3 to be.

That way the 5D3 will not be bastardised with Video for the puritans and the 6D can be a whole new line of primarily dedicated video DSLRs.

Actually the 6D kinda makes sense too because we have had the 60D and the 600D.

I wonder if this means that they could eventually can the 7D?

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
AG said:

Can the 7D for what?
putting all the features (fps, afma, 19ptaf, sealing) that make it better than the 60D, with APS-C, into a 70D? possible, but then it's just a 7Dmk2 with a different name. leaves too much price room between the 600D and 70D too. more price points at the lower end make people spend.

take the FPS and AF, put it into a FF camera? then there's no 'sports' APS-C for a start, and it would rip sales from under the APS-H 1Dmk4 unless it's similarly priced to the 1D4 (then it becomes a 'ff+8fps+19ptaf' vs '1.3x+10fps+45ptaf' decision, i think all but sports pros would take the FF).

If the 6D is going to be anything, it's going to be video version of the 5D mk2. maybe same 21mp sensor with raw video? or 5D3 is built more like the 7D, 30ish MP and 5-6fps with same video as now, 6D is then same 30ish MP, 2-3fps, bult like 5D2 now, with a pellicle mirror for video AF (or somehow better video AF)?

or maybe an APS-H sports camera, maybe same specs as 7D, lower fps than the 1D4 but gripless body and not a 1-series tank. (that's just 7Dmk2 with a different name so people realise you can't use EF-S on it.) doubtful.

Upvote 0
W

WarStreet

The D700 has decreased in price too on best buy while in stock, due to a sale.

Sale: $2,267.99
Reg. Price: $2,699.99
You Save: $432.00

I doubt that a 5D split will be video related as I don't think it is feasible for Canon such a split. If the split occurs, might be more like we used to see in the 1Ds and 1D differences.

Is it possible that the surprise will be the split, and that we might see one version announced soon, and the other a bit later next year ? Diversification, is a powerful tool for increasing sales.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
zhap03 said:
It's not just Best Buy that has dropped the price of the 5d2. Futureshop, Vistek, Camera Store...

Canon may have dropped the wholesale cost. If so, why?

FWIW, Best Buy has done this before - although then, the 5DII was not actually in stock anywhere, it still led to lots of speculation here. They also previously listed the 5DII as discontinued.

Upvote 0
S

surfing_geek

thenickdude said:
The duplicated page is back up at Canon Australia's site. It remains identical to the 5D Mark II page, however.

except that the URL stills shows it as the 6D:

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/6D

Probably just a typo.....Would be nice to think they're getting the space ready for an imminent announcement, though I can't see that they would do it like that.

I still think we'll be waiting a good few months for any substantial announcements.

Upvote 0
Redreflex said:
hambergler said:
I don't get why they would drop their price even if there is an announcement because wouldn't their replacement be 3-6 months away?

And the price appears to be back up to the regular 2499
Right. I thought I got rickrolled for a minute there, $2.5k didn't sound like much of a deal.

BB does this all the time (makes price, listing errors). Depending how big of the mistake, and how much time you have on your hands, if you can show a local store manager realtime, you can sometimes get a deal. This has not been *MY* experience, but what I have read from others online.

Personally, I hate BB; I think they make WalMart look like a straightforward retailer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Regarding the 6D "typo"...

FYI: According to NL an indian site had mentioned last December the possibility for a 6D. But maybe, it is obsolete stuff by now anyway. As it is a pre-Fukushima post:

"Canon may name the next product in this dSLR series, as either the EOS 6D or the EOS 5D Mark III. This product would succeed the current Canon EOS 5D Mark II. It may offer a 24 Megapixel sensor and dual DIGIC 4 processors. The 3-inch display may be an articulated LCD screen with 1.04 million dots. What is more, it may be touch sensitive, making it the first full-frame camera with such technology. When it is expected: This model from Canon's stables is expected to be available before the first half of 2011 ends."

Or would the articulated LCD touch screen stand for forementioned surprise in an earlier CR post??? Seems unlikely. Well, accodring to newer rumors, a 5D update would consist of one DIGIC V rather than dual DIGIC IV...

Here's the link to it: http://www.pcworld.in/news/5-most-awaited-cameras-2011-43492010

Regards, Pedro

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dstppy said:
BB does this all the time (makes price, listing errors). Depending how big of the mistake, and how much time you have on your hands, if you can show a local store manager realtime, you can sometimes get a deal. This has not been *MY* experience, but what I have read from others online.

I've had that experience - BB online listed the Vixia HF M41 at 15% lower than MSRP ($680 vs. $800), when it wasn't yet commonly available, and online retailers (B&H/Adorama) had it for full list price. The BB website indicated stock available in my local store, so I went in - it wasn't even on display, but they did have the three units in the locked cabinet under the display case - and told me it was $850. I mentioned the online price, and they sold it to me for that price without batting an eye.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

AG said:
Heres hoping that they do split the 5D line and the 6D becomes the "video focused" FF DSLR that people want the 5D3 to be.

That way the 5D3 will not be bastardised with Video for the puritans and the 6D can be a whole new line of primarily dedicated video DSLRs.

Actually the 6D kinda makes sense too because we have had the 60D and the 600D.

I agree with you 100%. I hope the 6D is the video-centric DSLR because you cannot make both camps happy as we all know by this forum. Maybe the 6D will be like the Nikon D700, a lower 12 mega-pixel but higher ISO performing camera with kick butt video features and codec.

Split line is the way of the future. Nothing worse than a watered down camera to please everyone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.