What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

tl;dr but no, I don't admire that. Whether or not it was a deliberate strategy on their part, Sony trolls bring down the level of discussion on this forum and sometimes make it an unpleasant place to be. I'd rather everyone discussed the pros and cons of products, their desires and hopes, their techniques, etc, rather than the juvenile name calling we see so often online. If that's the model to ape, then count me out of forums in future (thankfully, usually this is just temporary, I'm sure it'll all die down in a few months' time).

True, for the most part. But they're all doing it now, if you've got less than 100K followers on Instagram, you've got no marketable voice. Take Canon's launch of the R5, did they get the R5 into the hands of https://viiphoto.com or any Magnum/AP/Reuters shooters? All I saw where Social Media Influencers. Nikon got slated for doing the very same thing too. It's a different world, as Sony have successfully proven with their mirrorless marketing campaigns.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
64gig SD card is candy to this monster.

I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I may as well ask what is the advice for an amateur still photographer who never owned more than a 32G card, and never seems to have filled that? With this, it's more data per image and more per second.

Will I be happy with 64G or get 128G if in doubt?
Is it sensible to have the card sizes match each other?
Should I worry about better that 90 write speed on a SDXC UHS-II? If not that's a cheap one.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
With all the talk on overheating, firmware updates & recalls, Armondo's video was interesting, along with some other reviews that said when the camera was warning it was overheating and about to shut down, it actually didn't feel hot and neither did the battery or the CF / SD cards???

I do wonder if an issue could be, that the overheating warning is linked to a timer and not directly to a temperature gauge and the warning is actually happening way before the camera actually gets to a critical stage, meaning in reality record times could be significantly longer than the warning says? Maybe this is what will happen with the firmware update to change the parameters, or perhaps add some form of temperature sensor that will mean the warning comes up only when it is actually relevant??
with my older 7D I used to get warning.. outside felt fine, but the battery and CF card were hot. It wasn't good at transferring heat, mostly because it was built like a tank.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
with my older 7D I used to get warning.. outside felt fine, but the battery and CF card were hot. It wasn't good at transferring heat, mostly because it was built like a tank.
I remember those days. A days shoot was like a workout lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

Well, I'm not blaming anyone but I ordered R5/Grip/CFE Memory Card/Battery. Got the Grip and Memory Card.

- warranty is ticking on my grip and I have no camera to stick it n.

- 30 day no-questions return on the grip expires in 30 days.

- because I ordered on launch day I now only have 68 days remaining to add a Canon Care Plan if I choose to.

- if I choose to return everything they shipped me and wait for better availability, then I have to pay the costs and I lose my place in line.

- not going to open memory card because it might to be returned and I can't test it anyway.

- not going to open the grip because it might need to be returned and can't test it anyway.

Just luck of the draw, but these are little bits that came up along the way.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm not blaming anyone but I ordered R5/Grip/CFE Memory Card/Battery. Got the Grip and Memory Card.

I feel you. Sitting on a RF L Glass without the ability to test it, because of that R5 shipping times. But it is all under warranty, so not that an issue.

Upvote 0
I live on the west coast and this was my first pre-order. My order was timestamped 8:08am. I was told that I had missed the cut but then to my surprise the camera showed up yesterday and the grip today. I am keeping the packaging because despite my early tests and happiness, I am truly wobbled by everything that is going on. It would not take much now for me to return the items. I have cancelled the 100-500 and 800 lenses plus the CF EXpress card. Guess I have 28 days for some clarity?And for those who are thinking of returning their R5s now, mikeanthonyphoto on ebay is offering an R5 body for $5,750. I think gouging is horrible but between now and November maybe somebody other than B&H would like your camera. Do the right thing and sell it for what you paid please guys.

Upvote 0
I live on the west coast and this was my first pre-order. My order was timestamped 8:08am. I was told that I had missed the cut but then to my surprise the camera showed up yesterday and the grip today. I am keeping the packaging because despite my early tests and happiness, I am truly wobbled by everything that is going on. It would not take much now for me to return the items. I have cancelled the 100-500 and 800 lenses plus the CF EXpress card. Guess I have 28 days for some clarity?And for those who are thinking of returning their R5s now, mikeanthonyphoto on ebay is offering an R5 body for $5,750. I think gouging is horrible but between now and November maybe somebody other than B&H would like your camera. Do the right thing and sell it for what you paid please guys.
Did you buy it on B&H or somewhere else? My order went in at 6:00AM and I missed the cut.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
ive had this happen

- because I ordered on launch day I now only have 68 days remaining to add a Canon Care Plan if I choose to.

- if I choose to return everything they shipped me and wait for better availability, then I have to pay the costs and I lose my place in line.

- not going to open memory card because it might to be returned and I can't test it anyway.

- not going to open the grip because it might need to be returned and can't test it anyway.

Just luck of the draw, but these are little bits that came up along the way.

Ive had this happen to me on another shipment, i asked them about it and BH told me i have the option the ship everything at once if i requested it. Might have saved you here.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
ive had this happen

Ive had this happen to me on another shipment, i asked them about it and BH told me i have the option the ship everything at once if i requested it. Might have saved you here.

They told me this too, AFTER I called them this morning to talk about it. They never mentioned it before that.

Double edged sword. If the camera came in but the grip was backordered, the camera might have shipped or it might have gone to someone who ordered body only.

He said it was confusing and sometimes the way they did it made no sense. I know people who got their camera but no grip, and others that got the grip but no camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I feel you. Sitting on a RF L Glass without the ability to test it, because of that R5 shipping times. But it is all under warranty, so not that an issue.

Your glass warranty is ticking. If this really goes until November, that's a long time to tick with no use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
My real customer overheating test. Bought my R5 through BH Photo on 7/9 @ 6:05am and it arrived here yesterday.

SUMMARY: R5 video test w/ 24-105mm F4L mk 1 on the control ring RF adapter. In direct sunlight @ 85 degrees ambient with low air flow, 5000kft altitude, moderate humidity. Camera mostly stationary. I was able to get the R5 to do the following, back to back:

1. 30 mins 4K60P
  2. 30 mins 1080P
  3. Took a couple stills, no issues
  4. 30 mins 4K30P
  5. 8.5 mins 4K60P. The thermal warning started flashing right away when this recording started.
  6. Automatic Thermal Shutdown @ 8.5 mins into second 4K60P
  7. 20 minute cool down in 75 degrees with airflow (normal AC house)
  8. Restarted with no thermal warning for 4K60P
  9. Ended test
Compared temp at various times against powered off 5D4 and 6D both also in the direct sunlight. At end of all tests, R5 was 10-15 degrees hotter than powered off cameras.

DETAILS:

Worked from home today and ran this test to see if the R5 meets MY needs. Here was the procedure and results in more detail:

Let a room in my house warm up with hot outside air for an hour (84 degrees outside right now, elevation 5000 feet, mid humidity). Thermostat outside room stated 82, but warmer in the room by the window. We'll say 85 degrees is the approximate ambient air temp.

Set the R5 in direct sunlight next to my 6D and 5D4 bodies (both powered-off) on my large windowsill in the warm room. The window was raised and wide open to let the sun hit the bodies directly; no breeze or air flow today.

Loaded off brand LP-E6 (not the new type) into R5 at 95% charge.

Filmed 30 minutes of 4K60P (IPB).

About 12 minutes in, picked up and moved the camera swiftly, zoomed, and did some focusing and hand holds to make the IBIS work hard for about 1.5-2 minutes, then put R5 back in the direct sun, still filming. At recording time limit of 29:59 the recording was stopped normally. No overheating warning. The body was slightly warmer than the powered off 6D and 5D4 right next to it by the end of the first 4K60P shoot at 29:59.

Quickly switched to FHD 1080P and ran 30 more minutes still in direct sun. Nothing but slight increase in warmth as the camera ran in the sun. Temp. at end of this run was warmer than the 5D4 and 6D (both still powered off) but still not hot. No overheating.

Too a couple stills just for the heck of it. No issues.

Immediately switched to 4K30P and started another 30 minutes, still in direct sun. 9 minutes in, the battery was down to about 15% so I decided to stop recording and quickly swap it with a fresh one. Ran 4K30P for another 20 minutes in direct sun and stopped the recording. I'd estimate the body was now about 10 degrees hotter than the powered off bodies. I used a super cheapo thermometer and measured 101 degrees on the inside of the grip.

Switched back to 4K60 and temp warning started flashing. Recorded for 8.5 minutes and the camera hit auto thermal shutdown. At the end of the test it was certainly warm, like any object left in the sun, but not alarmingly hot. Estimate now about 12-15 degrees hotter than the 5D4 and 6D that were powered off throughout test.

Carried shutdown camera to room with the AC going and let it sit for about 20 minutes. At the end of the cooling period, I powered on and checked 4K60, and was able to start recording with no thermal warning. Did not record for long as I was satisfied with the test.

For MY needs, this is going to be just fine. I am sure I could have recorded 1080P or 4K30P for much longer. I will rarely shoot for long with video above 90 or 95 degrees ambient in the sun, so I have no worries. This is a stills beast with competent video. If you are a wedding or event photographer, this camera behaves about exactly as Canon says or slightly better: I got the 35 minutes of 4K60P promised in direct sun plus all that other lower rate shooting. You can be mad it is not enough, or you can buy a video camera. Most similar small form cameras are not going to run that much longer in these tiny bodies, it is just physics. To me, I heard what was said about the camera and didn't let hype let me think it could do it all, and I think I am going to be very happy with it.

I appreciate different needs exist than mine, but hope people can learn to be constructive and objective and DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH instead of watching endless talking heads or listening to marketers. Learning a little about electronics, thermal transfer, and how cameras are constructed can go a long way to help you know for yourself what a camera is designed for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Where I ordered they had 30 (pre)orders and received 4. I wasn't in the first 4.

I don't deal with the biggest store in town, I deal with the best shop in town :) , a small shop where the owner is still on the floor and loves photography as much today as he did when he was a kid. He had 16 pre sold and only got 4.

4 seems to be the magic number for the smaller shops.
I got mine, so I am happy.

Given all the talk of the coming delays, where there is smoke, there is fire, maybe you want to wait!
Come a few months from now, maybe I will regret being the first guy to get the camera!

Upvote 0