What non-canon lenses do you use and why do you love them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

photophreek

I rented the Zeiss 21/2.8 recently and was blown away. I'm looking for a wide landscape lens and the choices are the Zeiss 21/2.8 or the Canon 24/3.5 TS-E II. Both are manual focus with corner sharpness going to the Canon slightly. The price difference is almost $600 more expensive for the Canon. Given the color, contrast and sharpness of the Zeiss, I'm leaning toward the Zeiss.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
photophreek said:
I rented the Zeiss 21/2.8 recently and was blown away. I'm looking for a wide landscape lens and the choices are the Zeiss 21/2.8 or the Canon 24/3.5 TS-E II. Both are manual focus with corner sharpness going to the Canon slightly. The price difference is almost $600 more expensive for the Canon. Given the color, contrast and sharpness of the Zeiss, I'm leaning toward the Zeiss.

Well I happen to have both. First I got the Zeiss and then the CANON. Had I bought the TS-E first I do not know if I would have got the Zeiss too. Having said that the Zeiss is wider and in many cases it can be used instead of a 16-35 zoom. The TS-E 24mm on the other hand needs company (a TS-E 17mm? :) )

Anyway you cannot go wrong with either so don't worry :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
photophreek said:

I haven't used the Zeiss...but the TS-E has tilt to it's advantage for landscapes - the ability to have a deep DoF without a aperture so narrow that you lose sharpness due to diffraction. If you shoot architecture in addition to landscapes, I'd say the TS-E is a better choice.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
My only non-Canon lens is the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX.

When I bought it (over 4 years ago), it was a toss up between that and the Canon 10-22mm. Reviews indicated very similar sharpness, (in general Sigma slightly sharper in centre, slightly less sharp at edges - but that is noticable only while pixel peeping), moderate levels of CA and decent handling of flare. :)

The Sigma's build quality is higher (more sturdy, smoother zoom & focus rings) - whereas the Canon focuses a bit quicker (not usually important for ultrawide zoom lenses, and particularly not for how I use them). So I tested the Sigma lens and was very happy with the image quality - and there was only a very minor difference in colour cast between the Sigma and Canon.

My Sigma 10-20mm is particularly sharp at 10mm, corner to corner. It has a slight focus and decentring issue at some focal lengths / focus combinations - again only noticable when pixel peeping. I can overcome both these issues by manual focus (I keep it on manual focus). With manual focus for some reason it seems to over-expose about 1/3 EV, but again, I just turn my 7D's rear wheel to compensate, so basically all is good. ;)

The main reason I went with the Sigma was that it was about $400 cheaper than the Canon! Also, it came bundled with the lens hood. The Canon lens hood needs to be purchased separately, and it is annoyingly huge. I bought a cheap ($5) 'pinch / snap' lens cap to use when the lens hood is on (I always have the lens hood on).

I'm very happy with the Sigma 10-20mm EX. I use it often. It's very portable - and produces high quality ultra wide images. I use it a lot for landscapes, sunsets and sometimes architectural shots (indoor and outdoors). 8)

Paul

Upvote 0
D

DrHiluluk

photophreek said:

The Canon TS-E 24/3.5 II is $1859 at adorama (directly or via amazon) and B&H. The Zeiss is $1843 so they're about the same price (while the canon rebate is in effect). I'm leaning towards the Zeiss but I'm thinking of getting the TS-E before the prices go back up...

Edit: Adorama dropped the price to $1799. -4% with a cash back site ~$1730. Very tempting! Why doesn't the Zeiss ever go on sale?

Upvote 0
I mostly use vintage Leica glass

these lenses are cheap and sharp, but the reason I love them is because of the mouth watering bokeh, specially these three:
Elmarit-R 35mm f/2.8 (1978)
Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 (1976)
Elmarit-R 90mm f/2.8 (1966)

http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/lenstestsa.html
http://www.similaar.com/foto/lenstests/bokehtests.html

Upvote 0
J

Jedifarce

willrobb said:
This is kind of continuing on from another post where I asked about the canon 50mm 1.4 versus the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the opinions really were divided.

Rather than compare canon with other lenses and thrashing out the differences, I'm interested to find out which non-canon lenses (Sigma, Zeiss, Tamron etc) people own, what they are using them for and why they love them.

I own the following Nikkor primes -

20mm 3.5 AIS
28mm 2.8 AIS
35mm 2.8 AI
50mm 1.8 AIS
50mm 1.2 AIS

The 20mm I haven't really found a use for because it tends to vignette on a 5D. I love the 28mm 2.8 for landscape photography, it's very sharp and puts out beautiful images. The 35mm and 50mm are great for video.

The great thing about these old primes is they are cheap and very well built, metal housings, with aperture rings. Although I believe the achilles heel of these older lenses is moisture. The seals may not be up to the standards of todays Canon L series lens. It's not uncommon to see these lenses selling on Adorama specifying 'mold or fungal' damage.

Upvote 0
J

Jedifarce

NormanBates said:

these lenses are cheap and sharp, but the reason I love them is because of the mouth watering bokeh, specially these three:

I'd love to try out Leica glass sometime, can you only use the 'R' lens with an Leica to EOS adapter?

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Jedifarce said:
NormanBates said:

I'd love to try out Leica glass sometime, can you only use the 'R' lens with an Leica to EOS adapter?

Leica R (I think all types/versions) you can use on a Canon, but not Leica M (except for uber-macro, if you can even get an adapter that doesn't involve bellows). Leica S you can use on your canon in theory, but I don't think there are adapters yet (but then, who can afford Leica S glass that wouldn't just buy a Leica S2?)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.