What would you choose as your 2nd Camera Body after the 6D?

I upgraded from the Rebel XTi to the 6D about a year ago, primarily because I outgrew the XTi and needed a camera that could do more. A few months after upgrading, my XTi got wet and died during a trip to Iceland so I've been looking for a 2nd camera body for my wife.

A little about my shooting style, I mostly shoot landscapes, night photography and portraits (also macro but not as much). My wife and I travel a lot, so street photography (and low light) is also part of our shooting style. I do events every now and then, but it's not my focus and is usually done at the request of family/friends. I can't say I don't like shooting fast action (sports)/wildlife because I've never really tried (I'm sure if I did I would like doing that as well). If you're interested to see photos, click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97429425@N05/

A little about my gear, I have a 35L, 17-40L, 100L macro, and the 24-105L (which I'm going to sell to help pay for this new body). The 35L was the last lens I bought, and I realized I liked shooting with primes over zooms. My wife is the opposite, she likes the versatility of zooms.

Anyway, I'm down to 3 different cameras, the 70d, 5D Mark iii, or another 6d. Price is definitely a consideration, but I'd rather spend a little more (or a lot) to get the right camera. I've looked at enough spec reviews and sample photos to know the difference among all 3 cameras. My shooting style screams 6d (and the fact that I really love my current 6d), however my wife's shooting style is suited more for the 70d. She really wants the rotating screen, and I think the new touch screen focus system of the 70d is a major advantage. Also, she isn't into learning the technical side of photography as I am, so having a 70d that has a few advanced features but is simple to use is also a plus. I think the 7fps of the 70d would only get used every once in a great while. For me the 5diii is still under consideration (in that case, my wife would use my 6d), but it does cost an arm and a leg. I'm not going to get into the 5diii specs, but there are times when I'm shooting where I could benefit from some of the 5diii's capabilities.

That being said, I was interested in getting user opinions on real world shooting, not a spec comparison. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

Well, i strongly believe that finding the proper camera involves an irrational impulse, like falling in love. When i got my first DSLR, i was sure i would have got a Nikon D3100. In the shop, right next to the D3100, there was this Canon 550D, priced about the same. I took it and, BAM! love at first sight. It just felt "right": it fitted my hands better than the Nikon, i liked the viewfinder more, and the buttons were right where i would have put them if i had to design a camera.
What's the point of this? I think that ease of use is as important as technical specifications. You like your 6D and you're happy with it, and it looks like your wife, which is going to be the one to use the new camera very often, will like the 70D. So 70D seems the most sensible choice (and it's the cheapest of the 3 as well! ;) ). Have her try both the 70D and the 6D and tell you which one she likes more. If she picks the 6D, then you have a justification to get yourself a bigger toy. :D

Upvote 0
Buy the camera that suits your need best.

Personalty I would go for the 70D or a Sony A7r. While I would love to buy the Canon 5d III I could not afford the lens I would want to go with it for wildlife. The new Tamron 150-600 may change that. The 70D would fill a immediately need for a fast focusing crop for wildlife. I also wished that the 6D had a tilting screen it is the only thing I miss from my 60D.

For some people who shoot weddings and events it is better to have two identical cameras. I do not have this need so I buy cameras to shoot different types of photography.

I bought the 6D for a general purpose/Low light, ambient lighting camera. I do not need a second camera for this. A canon 5d III would effectively replace it. I still use my Nex6 a great deal. A Sony A7r would be a replacement for the Nex6 using vintage lens and a backup landscape camera for the 6D. I only use my 60D when seriously range limited or to use Magic lantern. I have not installed ML on my 6D yet. I plan on buying the new Tamron 150-600mm after the initial demand tapers off a little.

I do have a want for a fast focusing crop camera with a 1/8000 second shutter. I am still waiting to see what is a replacement for 7D.

Upvote 0
I'd go with the 70D as well given that is compliments all of the "weaknesses" of the 6D.

-Crop sensor for extra reach
-Faster FPS and better AF for action
-Articulated screen which is really useful for event photography and general avoidance of laying on the ground.

However selling your 24-105mm to pay for the new body kind of mitigates a lot of those benefits because the lens selection you're left with (other than the extra reach for the 100mm L Macro) isn't really well suited to take advantage of the those complimentary advantage the 70D would get you. Plus you'd have sold the zoom lens that your wife would probably have found the most use out of since she likes zooms better and the 17-40 is probably not versatile enough for her needs.

Plus you say you can find situations where you could need the 5D3's capabilities over the 6D. the difference between the two cameras is AF and FPS which is exactly what you'd get with the 70D as a complimentary body.

If you can keep the 24-105mm and get the 70D i think that's the best way to go.
If the funds were still too tight then if it were me i'd still keep the 24-105mm and get a refurbished 60D.

Upvote 0
I have the 6D, and I intend to buy the 7D2 for my 2nd camera when it comes out, barring any awful surprises, such as a $3,500 price, and/or a lack of meaningful improvement over the current 7D.

I think the two would compliment each other very well. The 6D is a no-nonsense low light killer that is not terribly sophisticated in the fast-moving sports department. A new 7D would (presumably) be good at fast action and would give that extra reach of a crop, but probably won't work as well as the FF 6D in low light.

I figure why have 2 very similar tools in the bag? Get a different tool for different jobs. No one carries a golf bag with nothing but a dozen 5-irons in it.

The OP, however, seems to have minimal use or desire for a sports/action camera, so probably does not want to wait for, nor pay for, the 7D2. I think a 70D would be a good choice for him.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I was shooting with a 5D3 and a 7D as a second body. I often shoot with two bodies. Recently, I replaced the 7D with another 5D3. Note that I still have a 60D. The feature "benefits" of the 7D and 60D -- high FPS, extra reach, articulating screen --paled when compared with the benifits of full frame. And, I reaaly liked the articulating screen. My 5D3 is sharper, has more color latitude, is better in low light, and yields smaller DOF. But, you know this.

The 5D3 is a step up from the 6D for action. For me, this was a must. If you don't find the 6D focus system to be limiting for what you shoot, then get another 6D. Down the road, I think you would find the 70D to be a dissapointment becuase it still is a step down in IQ. Plus, when switching bodies, it is nice that both have identical controls.

Also, keep the 24-105 for your wife. If you were to go with the 70D and you wife wants a good zoom, then you afe looking at the 17-55 f2.8 which is a GREAT crop body lens. But, the 6D/24-105 is a sharper and more versatile kit than the 70D/17-55.

I'm using the 7D and the 60D as "training tools" to help my wife and kids get more comfortable shooting in manual or AV and with back-button focussing. Also, using them to encourage more selective use of ISO. This way, they will be more comfortable shooting with one of my 5D3s if I need their help or if they want more out of their shots. My bet is that the 6D will be just as easy to learn the craft as the 70D is. The only caveat is whether video is a high need. Then the 70D might be more attractive.

Upvote 0
FTb-n said:
Footote. In my experience, the FF body yields sharper images than crop bodies given the same lens. To me, this largely offsets the "benefit" of the extra reach of a crop body.
True, provided you have things in focus. But with an improved AF system on the 7DII, you would control AF much better than with a FF camera. I have the 1DX and a 5DIII, but I will still have an interest in a 7DII for wildlife.

Upvote 0

Sella174

So there!
Mar 19, 2013
Suid-Afrika
slclick said:
1st choice for 2nd body, same as the first.
2nd choice, if using a FF for the first and desire a crop for the 2nd for reach, use the body with the most similar ergonomics and best high ISO noise control.

Yip to both, in that order, as well. And I would add batteries that are the same to the "2nd choice" option as essential.

Upvote 0
FTb-n said:
I was shooting with a 5D3 and a 7D as a second body. I often shoot with two bodies. Recently, I replaced the 7D with another 5D3. Note that I still have a 60D. The feature "benefits" of the 7D and 60D -- high FPS, extra reach, articulating screen --paled when compared with the benifits of full frame. And, I reaaly liked the articulating screen. My 5D3 is sharper, has more color latitude, is better in low light, and yields smaller DOF. But, you know this.

The 5D3 is a step up from the 6D for action. For me, this was a must. If you don't find the 6D focus system to be limiting for what you shoot, then get another 6D. Down the road, I think you would find the 70D to be a dissapointment becuase it still is a step down in IQ. Plus, when switching bodies, it is nice that both have identical controls.

Also, keep the 24-105 for your wife. If you were to go with the 70D and you wife wants a good zoom, then you afe looking at the 17-55 f2.8 which is a GREAT crop body lens. But, the 6D/24-105 is a sharper and more versatile kit than the 70D/17-55.

I'm using the 7D and the 60D as "training tools" to help my wife and kids get more comfortable shooting in manual or AV and with back-button focussing. Also, using them to encourage more selective use of ISO. This way, they will be more comfortable shooting with one of my 5D3s if I need their help or if they want more out of their shots. My bet is that the 6D will be just as easy to learn the craft as the 70D is. The only caveat is whether video is a high need. Then the 70D might be more attractive.

Next to a 5D MkII, the 7D is a disappointment image quality-wise so I sold it and got a 5D MkIII instead. So to the OP I would suggest getting another full frame camera as some others have suggested. (Say 5DMKII).

Upvote 0
I'd recommend a second 6D. Same form factor, great IQ, reasonably priced, and light - so good for travel since you travel a lot. Since it's the same camera, just need to learn one set of controls, simplifies things. The extra $$ you'd spend on a 5D Mark III you can put into lenses. Since your wife likes zooms, I'd rec'd the new 24 - 70 II, which is tack sharp and rivals primes. Doesn't have the reach of the 24 -105 though but better IQ. On the other hand, the resale value of the 24 - 105 is plummeting, might be a consideration to hold it. Then I'd rec'd the 70 - 200 f/4 IS. Lighter than the 2.8.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
btaoka said:
I upgraded from the Rebel XTi to the 6D about a year ago, primarily because I outgrew the XTi and needed a camera that could do more. A few months after upgrading, my XTi got wet and died during a trip to Iceland so I've been looking for a 2nd camera body for my wife.

A little about my shooting style, I mostly shoot landscapes, night photography and portraits (also macro but not as much). My wife and I travel a lot, so street photography (and low light) is also part of our shooting style. I do events every now and then, but it's not my focus and is usually done at the request of family/friends. I can't say I don't like shooting fast action (sports)/wildlife because I've never really tried (I'm sure if I did I would like doing that as well). If you're interested to see photos, click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97429425@N05/

A little about my gear, I have a 35L, 17-40L, 100L macro, and the 24-105L (which I'm going to sell to help pay for this new body). The 35L was the last lens I bought, and I realized I liked shooting with primes over zooms. My wife is the opposite, she likes the versatility of zooms.

Anyway, I'm down to 3 different cameras, the 70d, 5D Mark iii, or another 6d. Price is definitely a consideration, but I'd rather spend a little more (or a lot) to get the right camera. I've looked at enough spec reviews and sample photos to know the difference among all 3 cameras. My shooting style screams 6d (and the fact that I really love my current 6d), however my wife's shooting style is suited more for the 70d. She really wants the rotating screen, and I think the new touch screen focus system of the 70d is a major advantage. Also, she isn't into learning the technical side of photography as I am, so having a 70d that has a few advanced features but is simple to use is also a plus. I think the 7fps of the 70d would only get used every once in a great while. For me the 5diii is still under consideration (in that case, my wife would use my 6d), but it does cost an arm and a leg. I'm not going to get into the 5diii specs, but there are times when I'm shooting where I could benefit from some of the 5diii's capabilities.

That being said, I was interested in getting user opinions on real world shooting, not a spec comparison. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

My suggestion is 6D - same ergonomic and setting. Plus all your lenses are L. No benefits to stay with crop, except reach.

OFF TOPIC: my sister in law recently bought 3ti and she doesn't how to operator the camera. She asked me to show her camera setting(since I'm a Canon expert, shooting with 5D III :p). Well, that didn't go well. I was confused with the layouts for good 15-20mins :-\

Upvote 0
If you were asking for just a second body for yourself, I'd say another 6D without hesitation. I know personally I don't touch my crop body much now that I have two FF ones.....
However, given that it's a body for your wife, plus second body for you, I'm tempted to say 70.

You mention how 70 better suits her shooting style and given it's something you do together while travelling etc. you want to both have the best "experience" you can both can, so you want to aim for the body that she's most comfortable with so you can both be getting the maximum enjoyment out of shooting together. (Hope that doesn't sound too soppy!)
Also, lets face it the 70 isn't a slouch in terms of IQ and features and maybe (playing devils advocate here) spending slightly less now, justifies you looking at a wider range of options to upgrade your 6D in a few years time.

As I say though, personally I'd go with a second 6D. The 5DIII whilst being one of the most capable bodies ever built, really needs you to have a think over whether you need the extra functionality over the 6. Only you can honestly answer that. Are you currently missing shots that the 5 would let you take?

One last thought -
If you sell the 24-105 and did get another 6.....would your wife be happy shooting with just the 17-40 (given that she prefers zooms to primes)? Do you need to factor a standard zoom of some sort into both scenarios?

Upvote 0