Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Can't wait! I tried dual shooting with an R5 and an R, but the R just doesn't cut it in that scenario so I've been using an R5 and 5DIV. I'm holding out for this camera before I can be 100% into the RF mount.

(And at sooner rather than later likely leaving behind the EF-M mount and getting a Fuji X100V)
intersting on the move from EF-M to Fuji.. I actually went the other direction, Fuji XT to EF-M M6II

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Landscapes tend to be more challenging when it comes to fine detail. Now any modern FF camera 20mp and up can produce a competent 16x20/24" landscape print. But even at 16x20/24" some compositions may be more immersive with more MP and the right printer/paper combination. As you go larger MP starts to become very important to landscapes for critical viewers at close viewing distances.

Contrast this with portraits which used to scale pretty well to 16x20" with just 8-10mp. Sure there's more detail to record with higher MP and sharper glass. But it just doesn't seem as critical as the fine details in a landscape, so long as there are some sharp details in the portrait (notably the eyes). I felt like 6-8mp APS-C struggled with some landscapes even printed to 8x10. Never felt that way about an 8x10 portrait from those early DSLRs.

Yeah...it's easy to say that until you shoot regularly at higher MP. Then variations pop out at you while in PS or LR and you don't hesitate to crop because you've still got 20-35mp and it still looks good. That's true for all subject matter. IQ and cropping ability soundly trumped higher fps for me to the point that I'm shooting everything, even sports, with the 5Ds now. A 90mp R5s would just bring more flexibility to the table. Your crop might end up at 45-50mp which is still excellent for very large prints.

Didn't want to go down this rathole in response, but your point on cropping is exactly right. In addition, I have had situations where I shot wider because the lens I had didn't zoom enough or otherwise was limited in moving to tighten the composition (standing on a cliff edge) and used cropping to effectively isolate a portion of the composition. Too many examples to cite, but don't want to get into an argument over the point. As I said, and it is not a slight, if you don't need the megapixels don't buy them. There are certainly drawbacks on file size, storage, etc. I, for one, will be buying this body as soon as it arrives. Won't be pre-ordering this time!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Didn't want to go down this rathole in response, but your point on cropping is exactly right. In addition, I have had situations where I shot wider because the lens I had didn't zoom enough or otherwise was limited in moving to tighten the composition (standing on a cliff edge) and used cropping to effectively isolate a portion of the composition. Too many examples to cite, but don't want to get into an argument over the point. As I said, and it is not a slight, if you don't need the megapixels don't buy them. There are certainly drawbacks on file size, storage, etc. I, for one, will be buying this body as soon as it arrives. Won't be pre-ordering this time!
Agreed. In my experience I don't plan to crop, but rather end up cropping by necessity. Flight tour landscapes are a good example - you're not going to want to change lenses with the door off or window open in an airplane if it's avoidable, but sometimes you need a bit more reach and it's a compromise. That extra resolution makes that compromise more palatable.

No doubt 90mp is overkill for many people, but that kind of resolution increase can open some doors in a pinch, especially with compressed raw offsetting some of the storage penalty.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I can compose via OVF with my 5DSR better than with EVF on R5 when shooting Milky Way. There is enough ambient light to see through the OVF. Not so much the EVF. I need to use a flashlight to frame and check my edges on the R5. Not always an option when shooting at night.
Question for you - how does the R5 EVF in low light compare to the live view on the 5DSR? I've been using Canon bodies for a while now, and I'd say one of the things that really impressed me about other manufacturers were their low light sensitivity in live view/through the EVF. I've shot with some friends who use other manufacturers and found that their live view is superior to both my night vision and the live view on my 5DIV - I was hoping the R5 (and maybe the R5s) would improve in that respect, but I've yet to hold one to see for myself! Thanks!

Upvote 0
To me the R5s could become the best of two worlds.

I am primarily a bird photographer. Quite often when I go birdwatching there is a bird that brings my attention, very often at some distance. To be sure to be able to identify what bird we are talking about I take pictures. This means that the picture afterwards need o be enlarged/cropped quite a lot. That means that an R5s set to APS-C mode, i.e. I get a 34 Mpixel "precropped" picture which will be good enough and saves a lot of space on my hard disk.

An other day I might be taking pictures from a hideout that makes it possible to fill an almost complete full frame, i.e. take full advantage of the 90 Mpixel available.

This makes the R5s more interesting than the R5, as the use of the APS-C format in the R5 only will give me 17Mpixel, as compared to the 20 I already today get with my 7D Mk II.

It seems as it as well will be more interesting than a possible R7 with let's say 34 Mpixel, but that being the only alternative.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Hi,
Have you heard confirmations about the fact that we won't see a 5D Mark V? Or is it still a possibility given the fact that NikonRumors now reports as almost a certainty a replacement for the D850?

Thanks
It appears to me that Canon is now all in on the R mount, so I would highly doubt that any new EF cameras will be forthcoming. Especially given how popular the R5 and R6 seem to be, my guess is that the 1D3 was the last new EF camera.

Nikon is in a bit of different situation - their F mount users are very loyal to that mount, and thus their Z cameras haven't taken their existing user base by storm. Now add to the fact that they are struggling financially more than Canon is, they need some quick short term cash, which might happen with an updated D850. If that is the case, I would expect this model to be their last DSLR, as no manufacturer can afford to carry on two full separate lens lineups for very long.

Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019
Have you taken the R5 for a test drive/rental? The lenses are a great step forward. The only downsides for the R5 vs 5Div for me were the OVF/EVF and battery life. Battery life is still substantial but I always carried a spare battery for the 5Div just in case (very rarely used). Using eye-AF in the EVF, the option for exposure compensation in it or not and the option for high refresh rate or not was more than enough for me to move.
The only other issue for me was needing a new underwater housing which was a pain in the wallet. The old one handled 5Diii/iv/SR and would have potentially handled a 5Dv in the same housing. The only other issue associated with it is that the face sensor is (switching the EVF/rear LCD) is now permanently covered so I have to remap the MFn button to switch them.... if the Rate button could be remapped would be a much more ergonomic option!
Check housing from an italian company called Easydive, when my 7D dies I will change my nauticam housing for Easydive to be able to use my 5ds, R, R5 and future bodies

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
intersting on the move from EF-M to Fuji.. I actually went the other direction, Fuji XT to EF-M M6II

The other guy answered it, but the X100V is a fixed lens camera, with two possible attachments for a little bit wider and a little bit more telephoto. It's weather sealed (with filter on, same as many Canon L lenses) and has the built in ND filters.

I have my full frame cameras when doing "real" photography. My M6 I mostly just use when I (pre-covid) would go out to a restaurant for birthdays, or a friendsgiving dinner, or other stuff like that. When I really did want small. But I didn't really need a full suite of lenses.

Plus I just do want to mess around with the controls of another system. I've only ever known Canon. And want to actually take a look for myself at the film presets and other quirks of a non-Canon system. And a X100V is a non-committal way to do that since it's standalone for the most part.

Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019
What is surprising to me is how little the 5Div has dropped in price over the last year or two. One thing is to keep milking as much profit for people unwilling to move to mirrorless but there are more and more second hand ones available from the people to have moved to mirrorless reducing new sales. Great camera but 4+ year old technology.

The question is whether a 5Dv will sell well (or sell enough). Putting a R5 inards into a 5Dv case gives a bit more breathing space for thermal movement but - similar to the 1DXiii - the best AF will be when holding the camera at arms length via the rear LCD. Save some money on the EVF but offset that with pentaprism and AF sensor.

canon Panama is discounting the 5D MKIV like there is no tomorrow you can find it on sale at around $1500 (black friday sale)

Upvote 0
The Apple M1 already has 8 Cores doesn't it so they must be planning more for the M2(?) 16" MBP so probbly double the cores and doube the memory (16Cores/32GB). Oh and doulble the price.
currently 4 performance and 4 efficient cores in M1 with a 10:1 power efficiency between them. Even if they doubled the memory but kept the cores, I think that a lot of people would still buy the 16" version with the single core performance >50% more than the current 16" plus the video goodies. Happy for more cores => more fun :)

Upvote 0
Check housing from an italian company called Easydive, when my 7D dies I will change my nauticam housing for Easydive to be able to use my 5ds, R, R5 and future bodies
Already bought into the Ikelite system. Just needed to change the body as the ports and TTL strobe already match. Still expensive for me... Nauticam is the best but - wow - the price. I'm not making money from underwater so I can't justify that expense

Upvote 0
Especially since it would probably use CFExpress cards, rendingyour CFast useless! lol. But your point is well taken. The cost of CFexpress is one thing keeping me from coughing up for an R5 at this point. I mean, I bought my last camera 8 years ago so its not like I don't get my money's worth. But 3900 camera + 250x2 memory cards + a 200 card reader is a LOT more than just buying an R6 and using SD cards I already have.
Prograde offer a combined USH-II SD card + CFe card reader which is nice but I concur that the memory card costs exceeded my original budget and I only got 128GB.
With the R6 being 20mp, does using a USH-I SD card slow down the maximum frame rate/buffer? It does slow down the R5.

Upvote 0
Question for you - how does the R5 EVF in low light compare to the live view on the 5DSR? I've been using Canon bodies for a while now, and I'd say one of the things that really impressed me about other manufacturers were their low light sensitivity in live view/through the EVF. I've shot with some friends who use other manufacturers and found that their live view is superior to both my night vision and the live view on my 5DIV - I was hoping the R5 (and maybe the R5s) would improve in that respect, but I've yet to hold one to see for myself! Thanks!
I need more time with it to confirm. It is definitely better than live view on 5DSR. It has pros and cons vs OVF but without an OVF you only have one option. I agree with previous poster that the workaround is take a shot and look. The display is amazing for shot review. But at 30 seconds a shot that process can take awhile if you need to dial it in. If you light paint or use spot to focus it is great. Very bright EVF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0