Workflow vs MP count. Wedding Photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
At dpreview somebody talked about workflow in relation to MP count. According to the photojournalists the 1Dx would provide fast workflow, so the nikonians hope for a D4 at 18 MP.

What is the wedding photographer's perspective on MP count vs workflow concerning the 5D3?

Here's an excerpt from the thread over at dpreview:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=39927496&page=5
"bobn2 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Obviously, from canon's 1DX spec, 18 Mp is the max (currently) for high iso IQ.

For Canon, very possibly, but they have different constraints.

I do agree if the D4 was 24 MP and 1080 HD, and the high iso IQ was as good or better than thr D3s, it would bury Canon and bury the 1DX. But it's not going to be 24 MP and even in a dreamworld it would never be 2 to 4k, it would be $8,000+.

There is no evidence or reason behind those statements. Since 24MP will 'bury Canon and the 1D X' that's a very good reason for Nikon to do it.

Bob, generally, I agree with most of what you are saying about the D800, but there is one sidepoint where I disagree somewhat: D4.

I was talking to a group of fellow PJ shooters just about a week ago (during a longer break in a TV show). Usually among those people there is very little gear talk (and if so, most often about things like better batteries for flashes or some useful cabin bag for hauling around your gear). But we ended up talking about the announced 1D X. Mind you, over here, almost all of the bigger magazines and agencys working with news and/or sports photography has switched to Nikon in the past three years. While freelancers on a budget for the most part has remained with Canon - switching is expensive.

Of those (two) present using Canon, they were happy for the transition to 24x36 in the 1D X, was longing for Canons 200-400 (Nikons 200-400 is a beloved lens among sports and PJ shooters) - and were more or less relieved that Canon had not upped the MP count any further (they both had 1D Mk4 with 16 MP). And among the (five, aside from me) present Nikon shooters several expressed worry that Nikon would go overboard in the MP departement, the common ground seemed to be that 18 MP was a nice number. And these people were not (as so many in these forums) worried about noise levels - it was all about workflow. I have said several times before, and I am aware I am a small minority in this, but I personally would actually prefer a 12 MP D4 for that reason alone ... One of the others sort of agreed to that, but 16-18 MP seemed to be where the others felt was a good level. I mentioned 24 MP and that evoked very little enthusiasm, one guy said (and he does not follow rumour sites ) he rather had "a high res small body, like a 5D on the side" - this seemed to match others opinions pretty well. After that the discussion drifted away for a anecdote about a 5D dropped into the ice of a nearby hockey rink while rigging roof mounted cameras - PJ shooters never tire in telling such stories

Ok, this was a small group of photographers, and I am aware there are other audiences for a D4 then people like these, but ... I am not all that convinced a 24 MP D4 really would be such a 1D X killer - at least for that particular reason. Other things seem to weigh heavier on press photograpers minds: One of the features of the 1D X which received most attention during our chat - and this I have heard from more working photographers - is the Ethernet socket. That is a feature which seem to capture the interest of PJ photogs a lot more then higher MP count. (It sure captures my interest!)

The other big issue discussed was if Canon finally would include the in-camera image editing Nikon has had for a while, and how this functionality could be improved. Many people send images straight from the camera these days. Again, it is so much about workflow, that truly is the big issue in this world. One recurring subject among pro sports or PJ shooters is the frustration - and there is a lot of it - about the clunky WIFI solutions - this summer I heard one Mark III shooter exclaim in pain and frustration that he did not care one bit (ok, he used other, non-Dpreview-compatible words ...) about a new camera, just give him a smoother, more reliable and more useful WIFI setup ...

I have no problem seeing a 36 MP D800. I was sceptical of that rumour at first, but after thinking it through, it started to make a lot of sense to me. But as for MP count in a D4 - I for one really do not want it to be a 24 MP camera. Possibly 18. Actually rather 16. And quite frankly I would be very happy with 12. And this from workflow alone! It is not about noise, I have no doubt a 24 Mp camera could be as good or somewhat better then a D3s, but I really, really, want a fast workflow. The main stress of todays sport and press photographers is not image quality constraints, it is workflow constraints, or simpler put: stress connected with delivering images fast enough.

Things like in camera editing, camera connectivety weighs heavy on many photographers minds. Imgage quality in general is of course important, but most often even there from a workflow point of view - one recurring opinion about the D3s I have heard is applauds of its "workable" files. Many love it because you can get so much IQ out of those files with so little post processing effort - resulting in a fast workflow."

B

briansquibb

J. McCabe said:
briansquibb said:
Simple - if you want a smaller files size shoot in mRaw. Why do you think Canon bother with it when cards are cheap?

Some softwares, e.g. DxO, don't process mRaw or sRaw.

If files size is such a key issue then the choice of the software must handle that. Personally I do most pp in DPP which is like greased lightning in comparison with DxO which is soooooo slooooowwww.

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

I Run with 2x 5D2's - and I have often said that the 16-18mp is more than adequate for me, given what I do with my pictures.

As much as I love the 5D's, I am seriously thinking of trading them in for a single 1DX and cheaper back up camera because of the very reasons mentioned.

And I do have Photo Mechanic to download pics with, but why when LR3 or Aperture3 is meant to make the whole process a 1 stop shop.

The Ethernet port is a real bonus as well - so I'm with workflow.

Ps, just returned from Vegas with an accumulator on of some 3000 images - my nice Mac still coughed at processing that much...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
File size was never an issue, even on my five or six year old computer. A larger CF card is needed, but prices are dropping on them. (I remember buying a 85MB CF card in 2000 for several hundred dollars)

However, there is really no point in MP sizes more than about 21-24 MP as far as image quality, lens diffraction becomes visible even at f/2.8 with pixels of about 4 micro-meters.

I'm sure 36 mp cameras will sell, many still think that more MP is better. Thats good for the whole industry, larger CF cards, faster computers, bigger hard drives, etc boost the economy, so all the accessory makers are on board with higher pixel counts.

Upvote 0
B

branden

Agree with what everyone's been saying. When covering events, I shoot with a 5D MkII and a Rebel T3. I'm not certain what the megapixel counts of either camera are, as it never comes up (and yet, that's the number one question people ask me while covering events...?). My photos 99% of the time are shown at maybe 1000 pixels wide, on monitors, via the internet. On the rare occasion something of mine reaches print, it's on a flyer or pamphlet that's maybe 8.5"x5.5" per page, on the large size -- usually smaller. Megapixels are important for large-size prints only--something I don't do. Otherwise, they're just eating away at my disk space.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I remember buying a 85MB CF card in 2000 for several hundred dollars
My Digital Rebel (the EOS 300D) came with an 8MB flash card (in 2004). I keep it around just to remind myself where we came from.

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

Mt Spokane Photography said:
File size was never an issue, even on my five or six year old computer.

I don't think it's the file that makes my Mac cough.
When i bought it, i had just bought my first 5D2, but i was running with a total of 8gb in CF cards at 2gb per card.
These were what i used with my 30D and 40D more than adequately.

I now run with 40gb of CF cards, best will in the world, a lot of current computers are going to say "you 'avin a larf?" when you download those in one hit and start processing. Imagine what it, and LR3 said when i offered them thousands of pictures?

Good job i run with 2Tb EHD's as external back up!

Upvote 0
J

J. McCabe

briansquibb said:
J. McCabe said:
briansquibb said:
Simple - if you want a smaller files size shoot in mRaw. Why do you think Canon bother with it when cards are cheap?

Some softwares, e.g. DxO, don't process mRaw or sRaw.

If files size is such a key issue then the choice of the software must handle that. Personally I do most pp in DPP which is like greased lightning in comparison with DxO which is soooooo slooooowwww.

AFAIK, DxO does things DPP doesn't, though not everybody would need that.

Haven't used DPP much, but my main issue with DxO is it's a memory hog.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

I shoot weddings with a 5D original as I love the files that come out of it. Skin tones are simply beautiful. It has a 13mp sensor and I have never EVER had a problem or desired more. Best things I have done to speed up workflow is to get 8GB of RAM and an SSD in my computer. It has made everything SO much better.

I am getting a 2nd body next summer and it will likely be the MKII as the added low light performance will come in handy and having a body capable of video would be nice. Can't imagine the 21mp will be too much of an issue. I have plenty of HDD space.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
alipaulphotography said:
I shoot weddings with a 5D original as I love the files that come out of it. Skin tones are simply beautiful. It has a 13mp sensor and I have never EVER had a problem or desired more. Best things I have done to speed up workflow is to get 8GB of RAM and an SSD in my computer. It has made everything SO much better.

I am getting a 2nd body next summer and it will likely be the MKII as the added low light performance will come in handy and having a body capable of video would be nice. Can't imagine the 21mp will be too much of an issue. I have plenty of HDD space.

If I am getting your comment right, it says: wedding photographers don't need an 36 MP beast to do their job? If so, there is hope for my FF price range 8) I'd say: gimme a 3500 USD low light genius fit for candlellight wedding receptions and other dificult task which do not require high fps rates

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

J. McCabe said:
AFAIK, DxO does things DPP doesn't, though not everybody would need that.

Haven't used DPP much, but my main issue with DxO is it's a memory hog.

I have DxO too - but I use it on the individual tweaks from the output Tiff files.

DxO is too slow to process 1000 files at a time whereas DPP can manage without an issue.

I am not saying dump DxO I am just saying that it is worth considering using DPP to do the majority of pp changes on the RAW files.

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

I never had any issues with wedding pics on my old 5D. Getting the 5DmkII helped for low light work as well. MP wise, I find the 5DmKII perfect, I use it on RAW for the portraits and the rest of the time I switch down to mRAW to conserve on card usage and have less processing time when I download to Aperture (at the venue). I make big prints from the portrait sessions, the rest goes in books and on disk so no real need for massive files.

Will say though that my 5D cameras were/are not great when it comes to the bride tossing the bouquet. Maybe I shouldn't have sold my 7D...

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Coming from fashion and commercial photography, I have several big prints
hanging in the aisles of our studios, 140x200cm wide (little under 5x7ft).
Half of them have been shot with a canon 450D at 12 MP, the other with
a 5D MkII at 21 MP. Side by side, 99% of the viewers have to guess which
ones are 12 and which ones are 21 MP.

So, 12MP are enough for most print sizes, 16 or 18 leave some room for
cropping, more is luxury but not really necessary for my application. YMMV.

A smaller file size gives me less card changing, less interruptions, less
points where handling errors can occur, and the most vulnerable times in the
life of a camera are with card bay open or lens removed while changing.

Some of you might have exerienced the dramatic increase in IQ when
comparing images straight out of the camera to images with CA and
distortion fixed in DPP.

The 1D-X can now fix this in camera! I expect enormous things from this
monster, and the low light capabilities will be a new milestone if reality
can match the paper form.

Yes, for wedding photography a lower MP count at increased image IQ
and better low light capabilities is a gift.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

My only gripes with the 1DX is the built in grip (and the price!) I do enjoy the flexibility to remove the grip, such as in the reception just to lighten things up and make the camera a little less massive. Can put off my subjects from time to time when trying to get a candid shot and the camera is pretty hard to miss.
I wouldn't use the fps - but the camera is a wedding photographers dream otherwise.

I'll stick with what I've got for now.

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

bycostello said:
the only slow aspect to my workflow (5dmk2) is when i import into lightroom... but i do that 1st thing when i get back, and usually having a tea and a rest so not an issue...

When I'm importing into Aperture when I get home I have time as well, if it's afternoon I'll also have a tea and a rest, but at night it's usually a beer and/or a nice whisky. Nothing better than a wee dram after a fun days work :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.