Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

the video cr*p we have to see first all fine print. DP-AF in 4k?= crop in 4k? Codec, etc. ? no FHD/120 fps. I am not interested in video, but even on that front it looks underspecced.

for stills:
- severly underspecced for shooting moving subjects. fps+Servo AF only 5 fps = no go.
- no IBIS - others have it all
- no Eye AF
- measly single UHS-I SD slot
- 2 out of 4 RF lenses are "tiny niche exotics" - not really matched to underspecced body
etc.

Fail.

It's half hearted attempt from Canon to enter FF mirrorless. They are the last to join and didn't deliver some of those features mention. They could have deliver a feature rich camera such as just adding eyeAF from M50 and adding dual card slot, but it would encroach in sale of their DSLR.

I wonder when they release their professional FF mirrorless camera 6-12 months from now, it would add dual card slot but certain feature will still be omit (IBIS, eyeAF) to make future iteration of the camera more attractive to consumer. They will continue to gimped it someway and charge ~$3500 for it.

It's always the same story with Canon. Always holding back to protect their other camera lines.

I wish Sony deliver A7RIV/A9R with high resolution EVF and better ergonomic to deliver the knock out punch to Canon arrogance.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's half hearted attempt from Canon to enter FF mirrorless. They are the last to join and didn't deliver some of those features mention. They could have deliver a feature rich camera such as just adding eyeAF from M50 and adding dual card slot, but it would encroach in sale of their DSLR.

It's always the same story with Canon. Always holding back to protect their other camera lines.

True. The rumor is that Canon will never release another camera. No more DSLR. No more mirrorless. No more crop. No more full frame. What we have now is what we will have forevermore. Canon wants to protect everything from anything new. :rolleyes: No more new lenses either.

Canon is doomed. Without eyeAF and a second card slot... this camera is also doomed. EyeAF has been on everyone's shopping wish list, it seems, for the last 8 months or so?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
Isn't the real problem that all those spec-sheet warriors have stopped printing pictures. You can print really large i
It seems that the following is the

Spec-sheet warrior picture work flow:
1. Take a picture [without understanding the exposure triangle] in RAW+max resolution
2. Open in LR, click the auto-exposure button [that adjust the picture by 2+ stops], export to jpeg.
3. Zoom to 1:1 in a dark corner -> If there is any visible noise, then complain on [forum of your choice]
4. Upload the full-res picture to the internet -> If the resulting image is soft [due to poor down-sampling and/or lack of sharpening], then then complain on [forum of your choice] about the camera.
Spec-sheet warrior video work flow:
A. Take a video [in an arbitrary location + using AF] in 4K and at max framerate
B. Open in blender, click auto everything, export to native resolution
C. Play back on a HD monitor/laptop. If it looks "soft" complain about rolling shutter on [forum of your choice]
D. Upload to youtube, check if there is the 1080p option -> brag about your new 4K video.

:p

Discusion Group Warrior:

A. Join CanonRumors
B. Get mad.
C. Post that Canon never listens to customers because they didn’t include x feature that they demand in Canon’s first mid-range offering.
D. Announce to the world that they have decided to leave Canon because a new camera that virtually no one has even seen omits some feature that will never make their photos better.
E. Nobody cares.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Love how the mirrorless value proposition is defined by such a narrow set of musts -- many of which weren't even considerations until Sony started offering them. :rolleyes:

So I've got a few more reasons to go mirrorless, and Canon (and Nikon) will nail these:

Ability to shoot without mirror slap = yes​
Ability to get a histo in the VF = surely​
Ability to show stopped down DOF in the VF = surely​
Ability to amplify light in the VF in dark rooms = not listed on the sheet, but surely this is possible​
Ability to manually focus in the VF in the era of focusing screens dying off = sure​
Ability to adapt other lenses = surely, but not immediately at launch (need 3rd party to help)​
Ability to use the glass I already own = surely​

For those reasons, the idea that EOS R or Z6/Z7 is a fail b/c of some vital feature or two being missing is nuts. These cameras will work well, sell well, and flourish (provided there's not a day one quality disaster on their hands, adaptors work as intended, etc.).

Remember, this first gen isn't aimed at accomplishing parity with Sony, stealing immense market share or allowing Canon/Nikon folks to be 'proud of their company like they used to'. Their goal is to sell their own people something that looks / feels familiar, unlocks the opportunity to pitch the mirror and get smaller, etc. I think both will largely succeed at that goal.

- A
You seem to have a low level of requirement from your Canon gear except for a 50 1.2
Canon would produce a camera as good as Sony if they were able but they are not at this point.
This is concerning because Sony are not taking the foot off the pedal which Canon did while it has had market leadership.
Now they are on catchup on mirrorless.
For me to buy a Canon mirrorless there are things I want and Canon is not yet providing.
I hope they will provide them in the future.
I've no objection to people buying this Canon mirrorless. I"m sure it will sell quite well as there is a pent up demand.
But its given plenty of scope for it to be criticised including a single card, lack of IBIS, low AI servo FPS, new mount.
Some of these like the mount I could have lived without but not all of them.
Its not an attractive proposition for me. It's not a disaster of a camera its just not interesting me.
I'll wait another 6 months to see if Canon produce something more to my requirements.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, Canon may shock me and offer a $2k rig here. It's a hybrid of a 6D2 and 5D4, but Canon historically doesn't dole out the FF sensor goodness on the cheap. They protect the price of cameras that have the good stuff.

If you could get a 5D4 sensor and image quality and a tilty-flippy for $2k instead of the $3099 5D4 asking price, I'd imagine Canon would lose a lot of 5D4 sales.

Perhaps that's okay if everyone buys 2-3 new RF lenses, though. That might cover giving these bodies away at a much lower margin. We'll see.

- A

I agree with your statement, particularly because you used the word "historically". The market has changed though, don't you agree? They can charge premium prices, sure, as long as their camera sets the standard for premium. This one doesn't, from what we've seen. It would be a very competitive and attractive option to me, personally, at $2k or thereabouts. Indeed, I will buy one for that price, or even a few hundred more.

If it is $3400, absolutely no possible way! I can get a PREMIUM FF camera for that price!

Upvote 0
People are incapable these days to take pictures without IBIS and Eye AF.

LOL. This is precisely what I was thinking. Here I am, managing to get tack sharp images using a single point on the eye of a running toddler with the much "loved" 6DII. I must be a photography savant or something. /s

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
B-roll for vlogs? I'm not really into video processing and I don't care much about video features. I realise it's for slowing 4x down? That is, many people so desperately want 4x slowdown instead of just 2x that they won't buy an otherwise suitable camera?

Yep, you got it.

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
LOL. This is precisely what I was thinking. Here I am, managing to get tack sharp images using a single point on the eye of a running toddler with the much "loved" 6DII. I must be a photography savant or something. /s

We live in a world where the “Decisive Moment” is selected from a 20 frame per second sequence and is captured by sheer ass.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
the video cr*p we have to see first all fine print. DP-AF in 4k?= crop in 4k? Codec, etc. ? no FHD/120 fps. I am not interested in video, but even on that front it looks underspecced.

for stills:
- severly underspecced for shooting moving subjects. fps+Servo AF only 5 fps = no go.
- no IBIS - others have it all
- no Eye AF
- measly single UHS-I SD slot
- 2 out of 4 RF lenses are "extreme niche exotics" - not matched to underspecced body
etc.

Fail.

- If the AFservo is good, 5fps is enough to shoot anything (the buffer is not bad either). I hope nobody expected a dedicated sport cam..
- there are initial reports that the nikon ibis is not that effective (on pre-production models). I'd rather have fratures that work, especially the AF. Eye AF will sooner or later come to Canon ML.
- no, there is a UHS-II mention in the spec sheet. If 480MBps is internal, it will even be UHS-III (but unlikely imo)
- 2 lenses are to demonstrate what is possible with the new mount. I know people that will get it for these 2 lenses alone (assuming they are half decent).

To summarize, i dont understand the complains. If this camera has Canon pedigree (=it does well what it promoses), i it will sell well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That is exactly my question. 1080@120p may be used for adding effects (slow motion of ducks in a pond, etc.) but does not contribute to better quality video, so what is the hype?[/QUO
That is exactly my question. 1080@120p may be used for adding effects (slow motion of ducks in a pond, etc.) but does not contribute to better quality video, so what is the hype?

same hype as for those that need eyeb AF, IBIS, for a few of us is the only way to make the proper slow motion scenes.

Upvote 0
Again same question here. For B-roll, you need multi-camera setup, and doing so, you need cameras with time code in and out, which is something that most of photography oriented cameras are not capable of. Furthermore, editing is time consuming because of precises insertion the scenes between takes. Therefore, it is definitely not for a one-person-show vloggers and not for everyday photographers.
I do not care about editing time, etc, I have enough

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon would produce a camera as good as Sony if they were able but they are not at this point.

Nonsense.

That implies Canon's in the 'best specs' business. They absolutely are not. They are in the profitability business, and that requires picking where your investments go, what features to offer (or not offer), etc. They've just realized that other things command a solid price than just spec-per-dollar.

- A

(I'm not saying nonsense to Canon not being able to cram all the tech into a tiny package -- that might actually be true. I'm calling nonsense that they'd deploy it if they could.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0