Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
It's not fair and probably not the best way to distinguish one brand from another but it's especially true when it comes to technology.

And yet somehow Canon stubbornly keeps being #1 in spite of ignoring internet "wisdom" like that. Demonstrates how much internet opinions matter in the real world.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
If I handed you an Elan 7e with b/w panchromatic film and a 40mm stm lens would you take a photograph or start down a long list of gear head diatribes?....If you need and cannot live without x and y features, you really are more interested in forums than photography.

I have an Elan 7E. :)

It is not about "you need and cannot live without x and y features". It is about Canon unable and or unwilling to put features into their cameras that are or should be pretty much standard in 2018. Even when those features cost little to nothing and consists of just a few lines of already written software code - e.g. looking at Auto ISO implementation. Just take the "really right" software from 1DX II and presto, its done! But no, not even such tiny items. Or why no UHS-III SD slot or two of them .. in 2018? Cost difference would be marginal.

It is this kind of behaviour that many people here are so sick and tired of. And it causes Canon a lot of lost goodwill in their customer base. Rightfully so!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Focus peaking. That is, highlighting the focus plane (area of greatest contrast) in the viewfinder image. An OVF can't do that (and Canon DSLRs don't have focus peaking in the live view either).

...and even if they did, holding a mirrorless camera up to your eye while you are doing that (presuming you're not on a tripod) is far far far preferable to 'iPad photography' of handheld Liveview.

- A

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
Its not an attractive proposition for me. It's not a disaster of a camera its just not interesting me.
I'll wait another 6 months to see if Canon produce something more to my requirements.
The problem with all the teeth gnashing and statements of doom and gloom isn't a conclusion like yours. Not every product is going to appeal to every potential customer. Not every product is going to be so good or so bad as to pull people from other brands or push existing customers them away. Evaluating a new product against your needs and deciding on whether or not to purchase it is rational way of doing things.

What is crazy to me is how product announcements bring out people who say Company X is DOOMED, DOOMED I SAY! Clearly that isn't the case here or really with any one product announcement. I don't really understand the purpose of such comments.

Personally my Canon body journey has been 10D, 1D Mark II, 1DX. I want something lighter I can take hiking but so far I haven't been tempted by any offerings, from Canon or otherwise. I use to take a point and shoot--I carried an S100 for a year or so. Now I just use my phone. Eventually I'll find something to take with me. A mirrorless R offering might be the ticket. I can hike with it with a lighter lens yet other times I can also use anything from my EF collection on it and the 1DX. That's something I can't do with the M50.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Nonsense.

That implies Canon's in the 'best specs' business. They absolutely are not. They are in the profitability business, and that requires picking where your investments go, what features to offer (or not offer), etc. They've just realized that other things command a solid price than just spec-per-dollar.

- A

Agreed but Canon is also a conservative innovator. They bring features to the market when they are well-tested and work (at least in the FF and cinema lines).
Sony is the opposite (in my experience at least), bring things to the market and let the user test. Then, bring out a new model.
Both approaches get you eventually somwhere but only one has a track record of reliability.
Just my 2cents.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I currently use the Olympus EM1-2 and mainly shoot with only 2 Oly lenses: 12-100mm f4 (24-200 f8 EQuivalent) and 300mm f4 (600mm f8 EQ). I want to buy into a new FF system so that I can get a larger sensor and a good portrait lens with large bokeh (larger than I can get with the Oly 45mm f1.2 (90mm f2.4 EQ) ) at a reasonable size (not a huge & heavy brick). Access to other great lenses to expand my collection in FF instead of M43 is a plus.

Currently the best choice for me for this is the Sony A7R3 with the Sony FE 85mm f1.8 lens. It's light weight, lightning fast AF and I'm happy with the large bokeh. But I shoot half of my pictures in portrait mode at waist level with the LCD screen pulled out in portrait mode - the Sony A7 series can NOT do this. So I'm waiting for a FF camera that can.

The new Canon R lens can! This is really important to me (but I rarely see anyone else care about it). However, if it is true that the Canon R does not have eye AF and does not have IBIS then I can NOT consider buying it. I rely on eye AF as well as IBIS (coupled with lens OS) which on the E-M1 2 with both of these lenses is truly incredible! I won't lose that ability and will wait until a FF system comes out with it to make me happy.

So, I will wait to see what the 3rd player (Panasonic) has with their introduction of FF soon. If it has the fully articulating screen, eye AF and IBIS then I will see what else it has. Maybe it will be the right choice with no other deal breakers. FWIW I really want a big beautiful EVF, and would love to have a 105mm f1.8 lens at a moderate weight. Other FF lenses would be great, but nothing will match the 300mm f4 (600 f8 EQ) lens with the IBIS & OS at a weight & price I can affort - it's truly amazing). I would also like to have more easy to use dials (for aperture, shutter speed & exposure compensation) and a simpler & more intelligent menu system (both the Oly and Sony menu systems are very poorly written). And if you really want to solve the issue of how to focus, then put a sensor in the EVF to track the user eye so that they can look at the image and push a button to indicate what to focus on and track it while I recompose the image and then take the picture.

So I'll be a 2 brand shooter when something better comes out. But, sadly, it won't be the Canon R system with this camera. I really wish it could have been. OK, Panasonic, maybe you'll read this and consider it.

What are you shooting? I don't see how you can replace you the EM1 300mm with a 7r3 85mm. You could get the Sony and one of the many 150-600 zooms but there will be no comparison size wise. I don't know the benefits of eye af especially at 600mm, but with your wide ranging needs I don't see a one body solution. I would keep the Olympus then choose the best full frame for the generic needs.

Upvote 0
It can't go lower from a7iii/z6 I suppose in lineup comparison. These standards I mentioned are already standards for a lot of brands except our BRAND! Is it so bad that I was expecting much more that critical time from Canon?!?! And its really ugly! So many times I say it I can not even get comfort with it! OMG really UGLY!! With the specs also I care and for the style also! Don't you? Nevermind now I saw that piece of shit of technology at the near end of 2018, I love much more my 5d4 and c100ii!! did I mention? its fucking UGLY!!

I would probably relax and go take some photographs. There are likely 100's of camera bodies to choose from. I am not interested in this model, but to me it looks like it will fill a void. I think this may be a vlogger's camera. I am a bit stumped about the lenses however, so I suspect another body will be announced sooner rather than later. It will probably be a bit more advanced.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I’m bored with forum trolls complaining about everything trivial and ignoring the fact that a camera is just a lens holder with an interface for our minds as photographers.
Bitching about yet-to-be delivered cameras is the realm of non-photographic trolls whose actual camera is their phone doing selfies.
Lens quality and manufacturer support are more important than single specs. My experience after 60+ years of shooting is that Canon and Leica support you long after the warranty is over. Sadly, two manufacturers loved by these trolls have failed us miserably.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sorry Don. EOS M (1st gen) did NOT capture the market. It was seriously underspecced and had to be firesold for 299 including kit lens. What saved Canon's ass were the EF-M lenses. Decent IQ, small size, very affordable price. RF lenses are exactly the opposite on the last 2 items. And EOS R looks underspecced as well, now that we see more of the caveats and fine print. So I don't think it work as well for Canon FF mirrorfree this time.

Looking forward to see what Pana brings to the table. Then we got 5 FF mirrorfree suppliers and about 10 different new/current bodies. I like. :)
And just like the M, I expect that there will be several models before they get it right....

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Nonsense.

That implies Canon's in the 'best specs' business. They absolutely are not. They are in the profitability business, and that requires picking where your investments go, what features to offer (or not offer), etc. They've just realized that other things command a solid price than just spec-per-dollar.

- A

(I'm not saying nonsense to Canon not being able to cram all the tech into a tiny package -- that might actually be true. I'm calling nonsense that they'd deploy it if they could.)

Absolutely. Just like those who think Canon can’t engineer uncropped 4K in a 5DIV or 1080 120p in a mirrorless camera without overheating.

Canon can engineer what they want, but what they want centers around protecting profitability, product lines and dependability, mostly the former two motivations.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If I handed you an Elan 7e with b/w panchromatic film and a 40mm stm lens would you take a photograph or start down a long list of gear head diatribes?....If you need and cannot live without x and y features, you really are more interested in forums than photography.
The real trick would be to find a camera made in the last ten years that you can not use to take great pictures.....

Upvote 0