The rest of 2019 for Canon will be about updating dated product lines [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Late 2018 and early 2019 have been pretty busy for Canon, mostly with the launch of the EOS R, EOS RP and 10 new RF mount lenses. It doesn’t look like the 2nd half will be quite as exciting.
We’re told that the 2nd half of 2019 will be more about updating older product lines and launch some new lines such as the ZV-123 instant print camera.
This is what we’re told to expect.

Three new G series PowerShot cameras. The PowerShot G7 X Mark III has been a bit of a unicorn around these parts, but it’s obvious that it’s coming. We can also expect a PowerShot G5 X Mark II and a PowerShot G9 X Mark III.
As far as DSLRs, we’re told to only expect amateur level cameras such as Rebels and the EOS 80D replacement.
The Cinema EOS lineup will see an update, along with new camcorders and a new camera...

Continue reading...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would consider an update to the 80D to be a pretty big announcement. Let's just hope it isn't nothing more than an increase of 2-4mp to the sensor and 1 fps to shooting.
I'm curious, other than 4K, what would you be hoping for?

Upvote 0
I would consider an update to the 80D to be a pretty big announcement. Let's just hope it isn't nothing more than an increase of 2-4mp to the sensor and 1 fps to shooting.

Your post above reminds me of the time my very young son opened up a gift while uttering, "I just hope this isn't a sweater." He got a sweater. You're getting a sweater. We're all getting sweaters.

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I've heard absolutely nothing about the EOS M lineup. It makes sense they'd just ride out the M50, it sells really well and doesn't cost a lot.
What's up with that? I thought this rumor pretty much confirmed we're getting replacements for the M series:

From all those certified cameras, the EOS R (Edit: meant the RP) was the only one released so far. There's a bunch of M and SLR on that list. Especially the 32 MP 90D sounds really interesting. And you mentioned a rumor about the upcoming 24MP sensors beeing new designs recently. So those M6 and M5 upgrades could be quite interesting as well.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
What's up with that? I thought this rumor pretty much confirmed we're getting replacements for the M series:

From all those certified cameras, the EOS R (Edit: meant the RP) was the only one released so far. There's a bunch of M and SLR on that list. Especially the 32 MP 90D sounds really interesting. And you mentioned a rumor about the upcoming 24MP sensors beeing new designs recently. So those M6 and M5 upgrades could be quite interesting as well.

Those certification guesses can change over time. There have also been a few times that a "certified' product never actually gets released.

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I'd call the total of 10 lenses launched a "paper" launch a la computer components. Yes, they launched 4 and announced 6, but none of the 6 announced will be available for awhile. Only the 4 launched/announced with the R are available for order (or were for pre-order). They haven't even shown real models to anyone of the next 6 yet, just mock-ups. Yes, the lineup looks awesome, but at this time, that's all it is - "looks". I'm really hoping to see some awesome quality out of these new lenses. This year seems to be more of a "calm before the storm" for Canon, and I'm really hoping that it builds to a raging one rather than something that fizzles out instead of hitting like we hope.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I've been wondering if the faked G7X Mk 3 render that looked so amazing made Canon push back the real one because it looked so boring and incremental compared to the fake design.

It's far easier to create a rendered image when you don't have to care about whatever is inside the shell to create a real product...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Not terribly surprised, coupled with CEO Fujio Mitarai's statement regarding their view of the market in the next couple of years. I am waiting on the M5 II (or whatever replaces it) but I've thought about what would make me buy it and frankly there's not a lot other than IBIS or BSI or a variable angle screen that are just must-haves (and even I might need two of those must-haves to reasonably think of paying full price). Mind you I'm talking realistic upgrades, not pie-in-the-sky BS. But that's the world makers and buyers are in - unless there's a breakthrough or they decide to make good with Kasey of Camera Conspiracies, Tony & Chelsea and everyone one of us and deliver a friggin' camera with all of the options that should be on a camera.... there's not a whole lot that's really, really compelling to pay full price. The environment around photography is changing rapidly while the technology is stagnating. The makers are likely going to sit back and ponder their moves towards profitability. And that might mean waiting for the world to figure out if still cameras have major seat at the table or become a 2nd tier citizen to some form of video cams or other media equipment or smartphones simply eat the marketplace.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
OK now i am confused.. I thought the song was that the 80D and 7D mark II successor would be fused into one..
:unsure::sneaky:

It's all about points of view. "Merged into one" may mean that the 90D moves upmarket and subsumes the 7D's role, and "no new professional camera" may mean that the 90D doesn't reach the heights of the 7D line, or what Canon (or this source) considers "pro". So it could be that the 90D is released, no 7D3 is ever released, and it's not a "pro" camera. This may mean that the 90D still has tilty-flippy and no joystick, but acquires even more speed and AF prowess.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's all about points of view. "Merged into one" may mean that the 90D moves upmarket and subsumes the 7D's role, and "no new professional camera" may mean that the 90D doesn't reach the heights of the 7D line, or what Canon (or this source) considers "pro". So it could be that the 90D is released, no 7D3 is ever released, and it's not a "pro" camera. This may mean that the 90D still has tilty-flippy and no joystick, but acquires even more speed and AF prowess.
I'd be 100% ok with this. Especially if the MP count is making a significant jump too, for better sports cropping.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I'm curious, other than 4K, what would you be hoping for?

I'm curious too, the 80D is only 3 years old, and it's not lacking much (other than possibly 4K). Give it a resolution bump, maybe the better AF system from the 7d Mk II, I'm not even sure what else. A few FPS?

The 7d mark ii is 4.5 years old, I wonder if there still is a chance that these lines get merged?

Upvote 0