More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

Well, I prefer looking through the 5Dmk3's viewfinder as well, question is why would you like to change the viewfinder's angle?

I understand looking forward through an E/OVF, I understand waist level viewfinder (= screen facing up), I don't understand having to face down and have the camera against one's face.
I think there is a some value in a tiltable viewfinder. Basically any time the back lcd won't do it and you don't want to get down to the camera's level. Using a camera at waist hight on a tripod in bright light is a good example. The evf can be really useful for reviewing images when you can't see the screen (too bright out or too much glare), or maybe don't want to mess with your composition, and the tiltable lcd screen would be distracting to others (i.e. shooting nightscapes with others). I think two of Fuji's medium format mirrorless cameras can use it: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1311711-REG/fujifilm_16536922_evf_tl1_evf_tilt_adapter.html

I would definitely use that feature often, but I can see how some wouldn't bother with it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So if people are thinking the R is the 5DIV equivalent are we thinking of a whole new Canon product cycle before we see a mirror less technology jump aka the R II to see some real advancement in a 5Dish line?

Is the thought that there won’t be a 5D5 DSLR next year?

I love the idea of more MP but 70–80 but not my preference as I would prefer a lower light and hand hold capable camera. IBIS I can’t imagine would be good enough for that.
No one except Canon has any idea. My speculation is that if Canon releases a high mp camera and a flagship mirrorless sports/wildlife camera, they will have four full frame mirrorless bodies, making a fifth body unlikely in a shrinking market. I could certainly be wrong. And, since we don't know what those two rumored new bodies are like, we can't really know what gaps if any might be left in the lineup.

A 5DV remains very likely in my view. I doubt they will abandon that segment and many people prefer the DSLR form factor. But who knows about the timing? If they release the 1D X III in early 2020, they may wait until 2021 to release a new 5D V. They could also shorten the refresh cycle on the R and release an RII sometime in 2020-21. No one knows and it's best to just take the speculation as entertainment and base buying decisions on actual products that are available.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
the camera still has to be good enough to be used without a tripod. who wants a bunch of motion blurred details that defeats the purpose of having extra resolution.
The 80D already is equivalent to 61 mp and the 90D will be like 83 mp on full frame, and no one believes you have to have those cameras on a tripod to shoot sharp pictures.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
No one except Canon has any idea. My speculation is that if Canon releases a high mp camera and a flagship mirrorless sports/wildlife camera, they will have four full frame mirrorless bodies, making a fifth body unlikely in a shrinking market. I could certainly be wrong. And, since we don't know what those two rumored new bodies are like, we can't really know what gaps if any might be left in the lineup.

A 5DV remains very likely in my view. I doubt they will abandon that segment and many people prefer the DSLR form factor. But who knows about the timing? If they release the 1D X III in early 2020, they may wait until 2021 to release a new 5D V. They could also shorten the refresh cycle on the R and release an RII sometime in 2020-21. No one knows and it's best to just take the speculation as entertainment and base buying decisions on actual products that are available.
Unfocused, may I ask what type of shooting you use your 5DSR? In your experience, is the keeper rate reasonable handheld?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The R II will likely follow the 5DV by a year or so in 2022, just as the R-X will follow the 1DX III in 2021.
They are not likely to shorten the life-cycle, as they also need to focus on lenses beside the bodies.
If one really wants to upgrade from the R, he can shell out the extra cash on the R-X with newer technology when it gets released. It will be also interesting to see when these firmware updates will come to a halt.

Whatever it might be, the main point is: Canon is probably not going to rush things and there is no point in complaining about it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Another example: The Chevy Nova, in Latin America ("doesn't go").
Bad example.

"Nova" means the same thing in English and Spanish, an astronomical event resulting from the light of a 'new' star reaching earth. Now, if Chevy had called the model "No yendo" that would have been a problem, but they didn't. The Nova sold just fine in Latin American countries.

Also, "Nova" ≠ "No va." Think about it, if I tell you that an 80 MP sensor would be a notable feature of Canon's upcoming mirrorless camera, do you think I told you that having 80 MP means there's no table in the camera (nor any chairs, either)? I hope not...

Myth. Busted.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Bad example.

"Nova" means the same thing in English and Spanish, an astronomical event resulting from the light of a 'new' star reaching earth. Now, if Chevy had called the model "No yendo" that would have been a problem, but they didn't. The Nova sold just fine in Latin American countries.

Also, "Nova" ≠ "No va." Think about it, if I tell you that an 80 MP sensor would be a notable feature of Canon's upcoming mirrorless camera, do you think I told you that having 80 MP means there's no table in the camera (nor any chairs, either)? I hope not...

Myth. Busted.

Thanks for the education, and mea culpa.

It looks like you're right on the key point, with one nit that makes no difference: It appears you could say "no va" but it would be very unidiomatic. And it would sound different from "nova" (though that might not stop a punster from making the pun).

"Nova" gasoline, mentioned in the link, is of course the telling point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And those who think a quadrupod would be even better.

(edit--not "quadruped," dang you autocorrect.)
Well, technically a tripod has three feet, but also three legs. So, maybe quadruped is ok?

Hold still, Fido!

g770DOGM001-o_dog3.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The specs only make sense with dual CFExpress cards - not dual SD cards. Even UHS-II SD cards can only write to cameras at 150 MB/s. An 80 MP camera will have a 14 bit compressed file of 100 MB. So writing to two cards will take 1.3 seconds for a single file - the balance going into the buffer. When the buffer is full, you get one frame every 1.3 seconds. CFExpress will be in the 450 MB/s range or better and production was announced by Sandisk. At that speed you can write 2.3 fps to both cards or one frame every .4 seconds.

Upvote 0
It is not a matter of patience, but excitement, for me anyway. I have been using my 5D3 since the day it came out. I did not upgrade to 5D4 as it did not make sense for me. Than the whole mirrorless trend started so I decided to hold out until a full frame one that is in 5D league. But I am excited about getting a new Canon camera after using the same one since 2012. I need to wait longer as this one is likely to be a 5DS/R upgrade not 5D4.
I think in the 11 months since the R release, Canon has introduced a nice amount of glass plus a 2nd body. However, reading here, you would think it's been around 5 years and Canon is lagging. Some of you people are unrealistic and downright impatient. It will happen, it just isn't magic or knee jerk reaction R&D. Do yourself a favor and study up on product cycles in the imaging industry.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Unfocused, may I ask what type of shooting you use your 5DSR? In your experience, is the keeper rate reasonable handheld?
I don't own a 5DSR. I do own a 7DII, which has the same density when scaled up and my wife owns an 80D. Any problems with the keeper rate have far more to do with focus and my own shortcomings than the pixel density.

Upvote 0