The Canon EOS R6 is still scheduled to be announced in May [CR2]

Mar 18, 2020
But it still does not make sense from that standpoint. Every single other camera maker's entry level FF non video oriented body has higher MP sensors typically between 24MP and 36MP. Entry level shooters are probably the largest group that cares about sensor resolution. Every YouTubber will tell those entry level shooters to stay away from the R6 because of it's "low" resolution not to mention the bar to entry for Canon mirrorless FF is a lot more expensive than it used to be due to RF lens costs.

CanonRumors even reported that Canon was working on a video oriented body and to me that's the only reason they would have chosen a 20MP sensor. Another counter to your logic is that they already have the RP which has higher resolution than the R6 yet is sub $1K. Why would they possibly add features that entry level shooters do not care about like dual card slots yet take away the one thing every Reviewer and YouTubber will complain about; sensor resolution?

I agree with your comment about uneducated buyers wanting more megapixels.

Thankfully, I have just enough understanding to not want more :) I am happy with 20 with better noise and DR.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
I agree it is confusing times but we only have two numbers to go off of right now; not enough to see a pattern. So far we know the R6 is not as good as the R5 and we know the R5 is the 5D replacement. But we also know the R6 has a 20MP sensor which makes no sense except for video and the 1DX of course for sports; so if they are trying to keep some familiarity with the DSLR lines then the introduction of the R3, the repositioning of the R6, and the numbering scheme makes sense.

I know this is a lot of concjecture but hey...that's what is fun about rumors sites.

It makes sense if you look at the fact that they stated the R5 was meant to be a 5D IV replacement and the next number in the sequence R6 is not as good as the R5 but way better than an entrylevel FF.

Here is an updated list without the R3 since it doesn't seem to fit:

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless Replacement
R5 - 5D Replacement
R5S - 5DS Replacement
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5
R8 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II)

I skipped R7 since that would be too confusing with so many 7D users.
I agree it is confusing times but we only have two numbers to go off of right now; not enough to see a pattern. So far we know the R6 is not as good as the R5 and we know the R5 is the 5D replacement. But we also know the R6 has a 20MP sensor which makes no sense except for video and the 1DX of course for sports; so if they are trying to keep some familiarity with the DSLR lines then the introduction of the R3, the repositioning of the R6, and the numbering scheme makes sense.

I know this is a lot of concjecture but hey...that's what is fun about rumors sites.

It makes sense if you look at the fact that they stated the R5 was meant to be a 5D IV replacement and the next number in the sequence R6 is not as good as the R5 but way better than an entrylevel FF.

Here is an updated list without the R3 since it doesn't seem to fit:

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless Replacement
R5 - 5D Replacement
R5S - 5DS Replacement
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5
R8 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II)

I skipped R7 since that would be too confusing with so many 7D users.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

" ... The EOS R6 will NOT use the same sensor as the EOS-1D X Mark III. .... "

OK, some miracle solved (would have been strange to get the same sensor in a body that cost a fraction and has same or better video and FPS capabilities.

Anyway: I do hope that the R5 does have the same sensor technology as the 1DXII i.e. high DR!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I 100% agree with you on the actual functional difference between 20MP and 24MP....the problem once again will be the marketing. There is no way Canon will live down a 20MP sensor in a non video oriented body. Marketing hype is a real thing...especially at these price points. Now one other scenario that would make perfect sense is simply that the Canon Rumor is wrong and the sensor is indeed 24 or more MP.

YouTubbers were even complaining about 20MP in the 1DXIII a body which is well understood and for a niche that is well known; and not one of them will probably ever own it or shoot a sporting event yet they still complained. Imagine if this thing releases as anything but video focused with a 20MP sensor.
There is some confusion here: It is very much a video oriented body among being a great stills camera.
Just not as high-end for video as a few other Canon cameras, which are much more expensive, obviously. But is is still one of the best, there are only three other Canon stills cameras that shoot 4k60p (and one hasn't quite released yet), the 1DXII 1DXIII and now the EOS R5.

The slightly lower MP count won't be a problem in the slightest, the A7S was by far the most popular line in the original Sony lineup, and it was much more compromised at 12MP and very lacklustre auto focusing.
The A7III is the most popular FF mirrorless at the moment and this camera could very well surpass it in many ways and it is in the Canon ecosystem, IBIS working and autofocus perfectly with Canon lenses, whether those are EF or RF-mount, which on its own is very attractive, with the adapter on the Sony, it is a far cry from this level of integration.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon was always "special" in the past, separating products and product lines by hardware, even if a reasonable R&D cost calculation would recommend a reuse of one part (sensor) in a parallel product line (not to mix up with reuse of old parts).

I don't see that. To the opposite. Canon used its 18 MP APS_C sensor in about 15 different camera bodies from Rebels to 7D to EOS M models. And the 6D II sensor also appeared in EOS RP and the 5D IV sensor also used in EOS R. etc. etc.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
" ... The EOS R6 will NOT use the same sensor as the EOS-1D X Mark III. .... "

OK, some miracle solved (would have been strange to get the same sensor in a body that cost a fraction and has same or better video and FPS capabilities.

Anyway: I do hope that the R5 does have the same sensor technology as the 1DXII i.e. high DR!
I think it will come with Canon Log as well, so the DR will not be limited and the ISO will be great as well, the readout speed and the internal codecs will be more likely compromises.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
R6 with rumored specs makes zero sense to me. Definitely not interested in a crippled 20 MP FF camera in 2020. Even if it came at USD / € 999.
The R6 is a huge step down. 20mp sensor? 90D has 32.5 mp sensor.
The rest I can live with and was considering until I saw the 20 mp sensor.
At least make it 32 mp or sell the camera at T prices like $599.00 with a kit lens.

And so it continues....

Panasonic GH5 - 20MP
Panasonic GH5S - 10MP
Sony A7SII - 12.2MP

What do they all have in common? They are all video oriented, all 20MP or less, and all pretty legendary in their video abilities.. In the video world less is more. If this debuts with a 20MP sensor, 4K60FPS, no recording limit, XLR module, video recording to both card slots, 4K raw over HDMI, DPAF at 4K60FPS..etc etc...no one will say this is a "huge" step down.

My hope is that this will be a great video oriented camera that can also take fantastic 20MP stills. Fun fact the average Instagram image is less than 2MP, full spread magazine shoots only need 20MP...how often do you even print any of your images?

How many MP you Need

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
At least make it 32 mp or sell the camera at T prices like $599.00 with a kit lens.
What people struggle to get a grip on, is that everything, and I mean, literally everything is a compromise.
Yes the 90D has more megapixels, but the noise level is also higher, which is not the best for cropping (that's why some people who tried both and regularly use higher shutter speeds and crop, still prefer the 7D Mark II with - you guessed it - 20 megapixels)
Same with the video capabilities, no 4k60p and the uncropped 4k is too soft. This will be in a different league compared to that.
So it is actually less of a step down overall. There are two more cameras in the R family with more megapixels (yes, the EOS R does not have quite a few things, but its pricing is also low for what you are getting) so just make a choice according to your preferences.
No camera manufacturer will ever make a camera, that will have the exact features (on all aspects) and price as the users want, that's why all the Kermit the Frog style typing is generally pointless - I guess it is just something that makes feel people better, more important or something...

• Love
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

That's my issue too. In my mind, wondering if this is worth buying, it's not competing against a Sony. It's competing with my M6-II. Yes, I know that's a crop sensor. But this thing will have an absolutely abysmal pixel pitch compared to the cameras I am used to (I've never owned a full frame, it's not "normal" in any way for me--when I start doing full frame I will put a 100mm lens on one and think of it as a 62.5mm equivalent because it will have the field of view I associate with that focal length on my prior cameras). I can't imagine the low light performance making up for it.

And as has been pointed out 20MP will be a marketing disaster, regardless of its low light performance.

Honestly, a hypothetical R-II without the doggone touchbar would be a better fit for me--at least at these price points. But such is unlikely ever to exist, so it's pretty much going to be an R5 (more than I need, but no deficiencies), unless I can't afford it, in which case, probably nothing--or an RP, since it will at least be cheap enough to be worth the tradeoffs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Canon used a lot of weasel words for the R and RP sensors, when they only seem to have changed the microlens arrays on them. So it could very well be the 1dx3 sensor with a new microlens array and ibis.
That's where my thinking is.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
And so it continues....

Panasonic GH5 - 20MP
Panasonic GH5S - 10MP
Sony A7SII - 12.2MP

What do they all have in common? They are all video oriented, all 20MP or less, and all pretty legendary in their video abilities.. In the video world less is more. If this debuts with a 20MP sensor, 4K60FPS, no recording limit, XLR module, video recording to both card slots, 4K raw over HDMI, DPAF at 4K60FPS..etc etc...no one will say this is a "huge" step down.

My hope is that this will be a great video oriented camera that can also take fantastic 20MP stills. Fun fact the average Instagram image is less than 2MP, full spread magazine shoots only need 20MP...how often do you even print any of your images?

How many MP you Need

I do print a lot and print them as large prints, 16x20 or larger.
If for video and stills secondary, then fine.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That's where my thinking is.
It fails in that they are not in similar product categories (the other mirrorless-DSLR relationships are much closer to each other)

This camera is not related to the 1DX Mark III (or 1DX Mark II) in any way, apart from being similar in pixel count, being able to offer 4k60p at a much lower cost (I think it is probably not in FF mode) and also having 1080p 120fps, or 20fps with electronic shutter, although the skewing effect is probably much worse.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
What people struggle to get a grip on, is that everything, and I mean, literally everything is a compromise.
Yes the 90D has more megapixels, but the noise level is also higher, which is not the best for cropping (that's why some people who tried both and regularly use higher shutter speeds and crop, still prefer the 7D Mark II with - you guessed it - 20 megapixels)
Same with the video capabilities, no 4k60p and the uncropped 4k is too soft. This will be in a different league compared to that.
So it is actually less of a step down overall. There are two more cameras in the R family with more megapixels (yes, the EOS R does not have quite a few things, but its pricing is also low for what you are getting) so just make a choice according to your preferences.
No camera manufacturer will ever make a camera, that will have the exact features (on all aspects) and price as the users want, that's why all the Kermit the Frog style typing is generally pointless - I guess it is just something that makes feel people better, more important or something...

At FF for stills, 32mp is a sweet spot.
For video if the 20 mp is what is desired and this camera is for that just fine then.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
At FF for stills, 32mp is a sweet spot.
For video if the 20 mp is what is desired and this camera is for that just fine then.
While I don't think there is an absolute sweet spot per se, the R5 45MP sensor is much more of a sweet spot for the R system itself, the majority of the native lenses can resolve far beyond that resolution as you can see on opticallimits, for instance. (And it is still tracks at 12fps mechanical, so it does not hurt speed either)
Since all pixels on the sensor are have the DPAF capability, it might also have its advantages in terms of tracking AF, subject recognition, etc. depending on how the sensor is being utilised in that state.

Upvote 0