The Canon EOS R6 has shown up for certification

May 11, 2017
As upgrade options we have had the following:

6D MKII - Good resolution bump but a dynamic range and video downgrade/no progress. Also no IBIS.
EOS RP - Mirrorless version of the 6D MKII so all the same issues.
EOS R - Good resolution upgrade, fair dynamic range upgrade but frustratingly sub-par video features. Also no IBIS.

I want a meaningful upgrade to my 6D and Canon so far are not interested in offering it.
Well, the R5 or the 5DIV would be meaningful upgrades, but I‘m guessing is that they are more meaningful than you want to pay for. Rumors say that the R6 will have IBIS, so there is that. You might want to see how the R6 sensor actually performs before you write that option off. Anyway , the 6D is not a bad camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If R6 and R5 were same price I'm guessing almost everyone would take the R5, 20MP does not cut it these days especially when you need to crop in a fair bit
First, we know the R6 is going to be less expensive than the R5, so I don't know why you'd phrase your question that way.

Second, I understand your concern about 20MP not being enough to crop from. That's a valid concern, and clearly it's much easier to crop from a 45MP sensor. I can tell you that 20MP is still a very good size sensor, and a 20MP Full Frame sensor is even better yet. I happen to currently have a 2x crop EM1mk2 20MP sensor, and I crop from it as often as I need to, and the resultant image, after careful care and interpolation in post, can yield photo prints of 32" wide or more that look beautiful and sharp up close. So for me a new 20MP Full Frame sensor, and a lens like the RF 24-105 f4 L IS USM, would be a step up for me and one to be quite proud of if that's all I could afford.

With that said, I will be stepping up to the R5 or future R5s and even better lenses which will be not just a step up for me, but "one giant leap!" for me. :D

I'm very thankful for the lenses and new bodies Canon is providing, and for the two different price points of those bodies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The R6 does look to be a better over all value. All be it i need to see the IQ first particularly when it comes to accuracy since the recent cameras i have tested have far too much software processing and i don't need my images too look cartoonish sooc. So much so that i went back and bought older models to avoid all the "auto bling!" that you cant' shut off with many modern cameras even the 5000$ ones (hint hint Nikon).
I did test the EOS-RP and it's decent . Not quite as accurate as the 7dmk2 on some details but not bad over all. However if the R6 can put out roughly the same as the Nikon D5 i would be more than willing to buy it with a decent multipurpose RF lens and ef-rf converter. Just enough to start out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I too would prefer a 32mp camera especially for landscapes and cropping.

Sometimes when composing a landscape image in the viewfinder then taking image back to computer I find that what looked good in viewfinder had too much sky or foreground etc on the big screen. So cropping latitude is very important for me when making large prints.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Sometimes when composing a landscape image in the viewfinder then taking image back to computer I find that what looked good in viewfinder had too much sky or foreground etc on the big screen. So cropping latitude is very important for me when making large prints.

Totally agree needs 32-36 mp sensor to make sense.
This R6 looks like a mirrorless Rebel series camera.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

If you're doing landscape from a tripod IBIS is not a consideration, so what is wrong with the EOS R?

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Well, the R5 or the 5DIV would be meaningful upgrades, but I‘m guessing is that they are more meaningful than you want to pay for. Rumors say that the R6 will have IBIS, so there is that. You might want to see how the R6 sensor actually performs before you write that option off. Anyway , the 6D is not a bad camera.
The R5 so far sounds amazing but it's in a different category. It's a £3500-£4000 camera whereas the 6D was a £1500 camera. The 5DIV had all the same drawbacks as the EOS R but with a much higher price. It's a great camera for sure but I was expecting a lot more given the price and competition at the time of its release.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

At which point I'd say learn to take pictures, composition is just about all the camera manufacturers leave to us now and you want a safety net for that too?

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If you're doing landscape from a tripod IBIS is not a consideration, so what is wrong with the EOS R?
If you're doing your shots from a tripod, then IBIS is not a consideration. (and I'm not commenting on the R by itself, by the way)

But once you have a camera with good IBIS (and dual IS) and start handholding shots that look like you used a tripod, you'll (IMHO) never want to settle for a camera without IBIS.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If you're doing your shots from a tripod, then IBIS is not a consideration. (and I'm not commenting on the R by itself, by the way)

But once you have a camera with good IBIS (and dual IS) and start handholding shots that look like you used a tripod, you'll (IMHO) never want to settle for a camera without IBIS.

There's no substitute for a perfectly stationary camera. Not IS, not IBIS, not both combined. They buy a few stops, but they do not give the same total lack of movement that a solid platform with wired or wireless remote release does.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
At which point I'd say learn to take pictures, composition is just about all the camera manufacturers leave to us now and you want a safety net for that too?
Like AEWest, I often decide to crop pictures in post. That in no way means that I need to "learn to take pictures" or "want a safety net for that too". I also grade my pictures, and the good ones are all converted from raw through careful post processing to a nice image - Does that mean I should have taken a better shot in the first place so I didn't need to do that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
There's no substitute for a perfectly stationary camera. Not IS, not IBIS, not both combined. They buy a few stops, but they do not give the same total lack of movement that a solid platform does.
If the subject is not moving, dual OIS & IBIS of (tested & verified) 6.5 stops can and will stop motion to look just like a tripod for all "reasonable intents and purposes". That reduces shake by a factor of 90 to 1! My EM1mk2 with 12-100 f4 and 300mm f4 pro lenses do exactly that. I also have a tripod, and use it when I do panoramas to get perfect repeatable position registration between pictures. But I also can take the same panoramas handheld with 6.5 stop dual IS and they still are as sharp and stitch together fine. If you have never seen real (tested & verified) 6.5 stop dual IS then you should. And a few makers have even gone beyond that now.

I'm looking forward to the R6, R5 & R5s IBIS with optical IS at the same time. It's harder to stabilize a FF sensor than a MFT sensor due to the increased mass, but if they can get it above 6 stops (verified) then it'll be spectacular.

My only comment about IS claims, is that they have to be tested & verified to be believed. I have seen some makers exaggerate them or say "up to" so many stops. If it's not verified, including on the particular lens you use, then "buyer beware". :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0