There may be a higher-end APS-C mirrorless announced in late 2020, early 2021 [CR2]

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I sometimes run out of reach with a 500mm f/4 Mk II mounted to my 7D Mk II via my 2x converter - 1600mm of effective reach before taking cropping/Pixels Per Duck into account.

There's no such thing as too much reach, and anything which helps obviate being focal length challenged is welcome to me.

Is your work posted some where? I'd love to see images taken with that combination.. I want that lens and it is one of the few I've seen that can produce decent images with the 2X.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I kept saying a full sized (not full frame) RF mount APS-C camera was inevitable... Canon is diving way too deep into making RF glass for them not to. The M series will stick around I suppose for the foreseeable future, but no reason not to add APS-C RF models as well. The desire for those WILL be there for the guys looking for a legit 7D line RF replacement

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You all might be missing the real opportunity here: 800mm f/11 + RF-S speed booster on an RF-S body. Ratchet that image circle down to 1.6 crop, and you now have an effective 1120mm f/8. In fact, that might be the primary reason those f/11 lenses exist.
I don't see how one is able to get a lens with a 140mm entrance pupil from a lens with a 73mm entrance pupil

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
This rumor contradicts a previous rumor on this site from a few weeks ago of two upcoming M cameras (rumored M50 Mark II and M5 Mark II). And today's further rumor of the M50 Mark II means this "high level" APS-C mirrorless camera is more then likely the M5 Mark II, and not an RF based APS-C camera. An M5 Mark II with IBIS, weather sealing, and at least M6 Mark II performance can easily be the successor to the 7D Mark II. Or, will Canon simply make an M5 Mark II and an RF based APS-C camera to satisfy everyone?

Upvote 0
This rumor contradicts a previous rumor on this site from a few weeks ago of two upcoming M cameras (rumored M50 Mark II and M5 Mark II). And today's further rumor of the M50 Mark II means this "high level" APS-C mirrorless camera is more then likely the M5 Mark II, and not an RF based APS-C camera. An M5 Mark II with IBIS, weather sealing, and at least M6 Mark II performance can easily be the successor to the 7D Mark II. Or, will Canon simply make an M5 Mark II and an RF based APS-C camera to satisfy everyone?
All I want is that M5ii to match with my M6ii and M100. I have the glass, Sigma Primes, Laowa Macro, Canon 22, Tamron 18-200 - now I just need that M5ii so I can have a flash and EVF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I'm struggling with the idea of an RF-S lens. The distance to the sensor from the bayonet would still have to be the same as the RF lens, since the mount/sensor relationship is the same as you'd need in order to maintain compatibility with the full frame lenses. I suppose the rear glass could still come in to the body farther on account of needing a smaller image circle. It would even still mount on a FF variant although it wouldn't cover the whole sensor. I guess you'd be somewhat limited in the size savings as the RF mount is bigger than the EF mount, so the smallest RF lens will still be bigger. But maybe it could work as an ecosystem. Will be exciting to see.
I seriously doubt there will be RF-S lenses developed. How many lens mounts could Canon have in the current marketplace? Now there are EF, EF-s, M, and R. Now adding another one? They want to reduce the number of mounts, not increase.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
All I want is that M5ii to match with my M6ii and M100. I have the glass, Sigma Primes, Laowa Macro, Canon 22, Tamron 18-200 - now I just need that M5ii so I can have a flash and EVF.

I'm waiting for everything to trickle down into the M300/M400, 32MP, Digic 8 or X and maybe IBIS. I enjoy the M6II, but often it's just slightly to bulky to take with me. Good eye-AF and HEIF would cover most of my use cases for it.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
If they are doing this, why not give it the R5 body and weather sealing. Forgive me is I am mistaken, but a high end APS-C body would mostly be for wildlife guys with a 100-500mm lens permanently attached and having a wee wade through a humid environment or even a swamp.

I would be happy taking a 7dII or 1D body into the wild, but one with (in Canon's words suggesting inferior) 6 series weather/environmental sealing.
I liked this just for the 'wee wade' comment :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
I'm waiting for everything to trickle down into the M300/M400, 32MP, Digic 8 or X and maybe IBIS. I enjoy the M6II, but often it's just slightly to bulky to take with me. Good eye-AF and HEIF would cover most of my use cases for it.

As great as that would be, I don't see Canon putting all of that into an entry level MX00 camera for a LOOOONG time. The M300 may get the 32MP sensor, but that depends on which sensor the rumored M50 Mark II gets.

Upvote 0
I think the R7 (R5/6 sized body with an APS-C sensor) makes the most sense. It's for the 7D2 crowd only. They already use EF lenses, so using RF lenses on a crop sensor shouldn't really be a stretch.

RF-S lenses I don't see the market. EF-M has that covered. I think the EF-M platform is going to gain in popularity eventually replacing the "Costco crop DSLR" crowd. Those are people jumping from phones to ILC cameras to get better quality images, but without having to lug a 20# backpack around with them for lenses.

Yeah, there's no upgrade path from EF-M to RF, unless you count people using EF lenses with their EF-M cameras, in which case they're an RF-EF adapter away from moving over. And people already owning EF lenses are really the only ones that are going to jump to full frame to advance their hobby. I don't think people who replaced their phone with an ILC EF-M camera are going to jump to FF just because.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Please forgive what is likely a stupid question....

But rather than a dedicated crop sensor camera, could Canon not have a "crop mode" setting for say, the R5 and have it do the same thing a dedicated crop sensor camera does?

Seems that would be the route to go....give you everything you'd want in one body?

C
I prefer dedicated crop sensor as I feel the camera and lenses can be lighter and cheaper.

• Haha
Upvote 0

JayLT

EOS 90D
Jul 8, 2020
45mp+ would be a a lot sweeter...

Sure, as long as you don't mind your DLA running around f/2.8 (I didn't do the actual calculation to get the DLA of a 45MP APS-C sensor, but considering the 90D 32MP sensor has a DLA of f/5.x I can only imagine what the DLA would be with a pixel size a 45+MP APS-C sensor would have!) ;)

Upvote 0