Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Or if people have guessed right about the third camera being announced this year as an RF video camera, all these anti-R5 videos are actually going to make the RF video camera look even better when the details are released.

At this point it looks like Canon could release an R5c with a fan, double the price, and people would still love it and buy it :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So far, I feel like I am running a gauntlet and am being beaten to death by reviews of R5 video capabilities. For the sake of logic and symmetry won't somebody please review this camera for a photographer, not a videographer.
I have that plan to do so as soon as I get it on my channel “Gaston Shutters” I am a photographer mainly and got this camera for its photo capabilities not video. Although I’m sure I’ll do great with 4K 24fps.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I expect that just like the 5D MK II, studios will be using the camera for scenes where space is limited, and indies on a shoestring may also be using R5's, its cheaper to buy than to rent a high end cinema camera.

I expect that indies will not be using R5s, due to overheating problems when shooting in 4K and better/cheaper options when shooting in 1080.

EDIT: And if you don't need a full-frame image (and why should you? The most popular cinema camera in the game, the ARRI Alexa, only has a Super 35-sized sensor), you could just as easily shoot 4K or 6K on a Blackmagic URSA or Pocket, each available in EF-mount for $1K to $2K less than an R5.

My point in bringing all this up is just that there are much more capable cinema cameras than the R5 that don't have overheating problems. If I had an R5, I would use it for BTS/wedding video, but never on a movie production.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Wow - near the bottom of the 2nd page of comments before the overheating furphy emerged ...

The camera overheats when shooting 4K video. No one in their right mind would shoot a movie on it, given that we routinely work 12-14 hour days making movies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The camera overheats when shooting 4K video. No one in their right mind would shoot a movie on it, given that we routinely work 12-14 hour days making movies.
Sigh - the camera has limitations (the same as all other cameras do) in certain 4k and 8k settings and has built-in safeguards to avoid overheating. Do we need to go through the voluminous replies on other threads again about standard practices on shoots around the use of multiple cameras, or the length of individual shots etc? So yes, it is a furphy, and will continue to be so until there are proper reviews that deal with these issues.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
No one in their right mind would shoot a movie on it, given that we routinely work 12-14 hour days making movies.
That's the point though, isn't it? Because that's not what it's for.

But if you insist on such folly - here:

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Sigh - the camera has limitations (the same as all other cameras do) in certain 4k and 8k settings and has built-in safeguards to avoid overheating. Do we need to go through the voluminous replies on other threads again about standard practices on shoots around the use of multiple cameras, or the length of individual shots etc? So yes, it is a furphy, and will continue to be so until there are proper reviews that deal with these issues.

The R5 is not a practical cinema camera. On film sets, time is money, and no one in their right mind will hire/buy a camera that will, under predictable conditions, require a 10-20 minute cooldown period before the next take.

Simply not going to happen.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
That's the point though, isn't it? Because that's not what it's for.

But if you insist on such folly - here:

Yes, I'm aware. I was responding to a post claiming that studio and indie features would be clamoring to use the R5.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Yes, I'm aware. I was responding to a post claiming that studio and indie features would be clamoring to use the R5.
Not really. You responded to Jethro's:
Wow - near the bottom of the 2nd page of comments before the overheating furphy emerged ...

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
No - you were responding to a post (and you quoted it) saying "Indies on a shoestring may also be using R5's, its cheaper to buy than to rent a high end cinema camera." Which is obviously correct. You're not very into accuracy on any level, are you?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

Most hybrid 4k cameras overheat. The X-T3 will overheat. The X-T4 will overheat faster. Sony bodies will overheat. The FF Panasonics...except the one with the fan...will overheat. Yet these cameras still get used to produce footage for professional productions. Filmmakers like Armando will work around the limitations...even if it involves a leaf blower. Armchair reviewers will cry about it.

If you've only got the money for a single workhorse camera, then BMPCC is likely your best bet. Although we have yet to see how the R5/R6 perform with an external recorder. If that fixes the overheating issues then these are two strong contenders even standing next to a BMPCC.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
At this point it looks like Canon could release an R5c with a fan, double the price, and people would still love it and buy it :LOL:
Or just stick one of these on the back?
(No idea how effective it is, but the point is that solutions are already emerging, and something will work...)

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
No - you were responding to a post (and you quoted it) saying "Indies on a shoestring may also be using R5's, its cheaper to buy than to rent a high end cinema camera." Which is obviously correct. You're not very into accuracy on any level, are you?

Indie and studio features are not going to shoot any film primarily on the R5, no matter how much certain forumers would like this to be true. For a shot or two? Perhaps. As a crash cam? Why not, they used to do that with the 5D mk. II back in the day.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Most hybrid 4k cameras overheat. The X-T3 will overheat. The X-T4 will overheat faster. Sony bodies will overheat. The FF Panasonics...except the one with the fan...will overheat. Yet these cameras still get used to produce footage for professional productions. Filmmakers like Armando will work around the limitations...even if it involves a leaf blower. Armchair reviewers will cry about it.

If you've only got the money for a single workhorse camera, then BMPCC is likely your best bet. Although we have yet to see how the R5/R6 perform with an external recorder. If that fixes the overheating issues then these are two strong contenders even standing next to a BMPCC.

I would be curious to see that! I don't think I've seen a test yet of whether the R5 overheats less when using an external recorder.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018

Bruh, I don't know how many indie films you've worked on, but if given the choice between a camera that overheats when recording 4K and a camera that doesn't, indie filmmakers will choose the one that doesn't (like a BMPCC, if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, this is not rocket science.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Indie and studio features are not going to shoot any film primarily on the R5, no matter how much certain forumers would like this to be true. For a shot or two? Perhaps. As a crash cam? Why not, they used to do that with the 5D mk. II back in the day.

You are responding to a video post where a videographer is using the cam exactly in the way that you are saying cannot be done... :p

There will certainly be folks that make it work for their purposes. There will be others that cannot work around the limitations. The latter folks will have to get dedicated video gear bc. non of the "hybrid" stuff eclipses the R5/6 by a reasonable margin, if at all (no, S1H is not a "hybrid" cam due to its AF).

Bruh, I don't know how many indie films you've worked on, but if given the choice between a camera that overheats when recording 4K and a camera that doesn't, indie filmmakers will choose the one that doesn't (like a BMPCC, if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, this is not rocket science.

As far as it is known, it does not overheat in some 4K modes and we don't know the extend of overheating of the modes that do.

Personally, I cannot wait for the moment when Canon sells an RF C100 with a fan so we can finally get over this wannabe cinematographer stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0