Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
With the overheating issue, is the R5 effectively an overpriced stills camera with cool but severely limited video features ?¿?

Same goes for the R6, I can easily buy a Nikon Z6 + Atomos kit with 1TB storage for the price of an R6. And be very close to par without the overheating issues and with extra external storage and an external monitor.

I was excited but my excitement has really waned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
There are a lot more "new" features on this camera for photography though than a DSLR. For a lot of canon shooters, this is the first EVF they'll use full time. The high frame rate modes have more asterisks than a pharmaceutical ad (Lens, battery charge, bit depth, etc). I've yet to see really challenging autofocus that wasn't done by an explorer. How bad is the skew with the electronic shutter? What's the battery life in the real world when shooting with a large(er) stabilized lens like the 100-400.

There's a lot I'd really like to see covered that goes beyond DR@base, High ISO and how strong the AA is.
My 5DSr has the option of still files in small, medium, and large RAW. Does R5 have this? My Z6 has an intervalometer, but it only works for shooting time delay video. Does the R5 intervalometer work with single still RAW? My Pentax K1 records RAW stills in Pentax format or in the universal DNG. What file types and sizes are available with R5? I have lots of questions like this. Canon is keeping such information secret, and the reviewers are not saying a word about it. That's what really blisters me. I preordered the R5 at first opportunity, so I am not complaining about the camera. For sure, the camera will never overheat shooting 8K as long as I own it, but that is the sort of crappy information I am hammered with.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
With the overheating issue, is the R5 effectively an overpriced stills camera with cool but severely limited video features ?¿?

Same goes for the R6, I can easily buy a Nikon Z6 + Atomos kit with 1TB storage for the price of an R6. And be very close to par without the overheating issues and with extra external storage and an external monitor.

That's a very over simplified way of looking at it but ultimately it's your money so go for it and buy a Z6 etc. I am confused though, as you say you were excited but it has waned. Were you excited about the 8k, 4k120p, 4k60, 45mp, 12 / 20FPS, Animal eye AF etc? If so, clearly you wanted that kind of spec but now your going to buy something that has none of those features??

To be honest the Z6 and R5 are not in the same category so cant really be compared fairly, with the R5 having almost double the MP, higher frame rates and numerous higher quality video options so 'an overpriced stills camera with cool but severely limited video features' maybe a little harsh?

Yes, there are overheating issues that Canon have been upfront about and for someone wanting to do 4K120 OR 8K filming it limits them but then as many have said, if that's the kind of filming you need to do then surely a cinema camera would be a better tool?? Although there was a lot of hype about 8K, the R5 was never designed to be a professional film camera.

The R6 is a fair comparison and if the z6 is a better option I'd go for that but not sure I'd want to cart an Atmos kit around with me with the extra bulk and weight.

Everyone should go with what they think is right as no one but you knows what you need and what your priorities are so go for it. :)

Upvote 0

Erm they addressed most of the complaints about the previous bodies (like crop in 4K) AND added a load of video features that didn't seem feasible not long ago. SOME of the most advanced features have limitations, what a surprise. But it still does all the basic stuff its competitors do - how is it "severely limited"? Honestly, online discourse is so poisoned by this sort of attitude. Can you describe what the Z6 does that the R5/6 do not do? And as for price differences, are you comparing a brand new camera's release price with the street price of one that's been on the market over 18 months? Really??

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Erm they addressed most of the complaints about the previous bodies (like crop in 4K) AND added a load of video features that didn't seem feasible not long ago. SOME of the most advanced features have limitations, what a surprise. But it still does all the basic stuff its competitors do - how is it "severely limited"? Honestly, online discourse is so poisoned by this sort of attitude. Can you describe what the Z6 does that the R5/6 do not do? And as for price differences, are you comparing a brand new camera's release price with the street price of one that's been on the market over 18 months? Really??
Z6+Atomos+1TB

You mean other than:
25mp
No recording limit over hdmi
4k30p no premature overheating
10 bit 422
12 bit raw over hdmi
ProRes Raw
Cf express
Boat loads of storage on ssd
The ability to color grade and apply luts via atomos in real time to showcase for clients, and other Atomos features.
For roughly same price of R6!

Discourse please proceed...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read some posts saying that they are not reviews for stills of the R5. It´s a true, there aren´t and I guess it´s because Canon didn´t allow youtubers with pre-production cameras to put stills online. I only saw at the moment some stills...of course we need more to see the sensor capabilities. But....When you see a video review it´s kinda like seing a stills review also. The AF capability is the same thing in stills and video. And that animal eye af...Woaahhh!! Also with the image quality..after watching some videos in youtube i just think that the image quality in still it will be superb!! Of course...we all expect more reviews and more examples...

Regarding for video....So much as been said about his camera....My god! Yes....overheating do concern me....I can´t lie. But unless I do use the camera i can´t say for sure it will be a problem for me! And that´s why I bought the R5...and the R6! :D When overheating the R5 I will pass to the R6 giving R5 time to cooldown. Only thing I lose is the 120fps but I´ll get more 30minutes of 4k60fps

I am a wildlife filmmaker and Yes I intend to use this camera as a primary camera! I want to sell the Sony Fs5 mkII. Because a lot of reasons but the primary reason is portability! To have a camera that can record 10bit 4:2:2 [email protected] this without the need to carry an external recorder...Ohh...and totally weather sealed! Man....this is insane! This means 2 less backpacks and lot´s of less worries with weather!! To add, having this wonderful DPAF II will improve a LOT the possibility off using AF to track animals!!!

Just need some days in the field to test if I can do that (use it as primary camera)! In wildlife, shots usually don´t last too many time and I usually shoot in the Arctic and Antarctica so maybe I think overheating will be less painfull...What concerns me is Africa....

Well....I am just waiting that my retailer calls me and tell me the good news...! "Hey your R5 is on the way!!" I´ll let you know after how it behaves!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Z6+Atomos+1TB

You mean other than:
25mp
No recording limit over hdmi
4k30p no premature overheating
10 bit 422
12 bit raw over hdmi
ProRes Raw
Cf express
Boat loads of storage on ssd
The ability to color grade and apply luts via atomos in real time to showcase for clients, and other Atomos features.
For roughly same price of R6!

Discourse please proceed...

Obviously as a buyer, it makes sense to compare all models currently for sale, but new releases always cost more, so using that against one versus another is disingenuous. Some of your other points might have merit, I don't know enough about video to address that (and my question was genuine). Another genuine question - why is the stills resolution relevant? You're talking about video, and how good each camera is for that purpose.

Upvote 0
Personally, I cannot wait for the moment when Canon sells an RF C100 with a fan so we can finally get over this wannabe cinematographer stuff.

Congrats, you won first prize for Wannabe Photographer, the necessary arrogance of which is fully displayed in your comment. Fortunately there are no genuine creative people who think link you.

Putting tools in the hands of talented people is what Canon does. Bring on the C100 mk III, and ignore the arrogant plodding wannabes who have no vision!

Upvote 0
I am a wildlife filmmaker and Yes I intend to use this camera as a primary camera!

Just need some days in the field to test if I can do that (use it as primary camera)! In wildlife, shots usually don´t last too many time and I usually shoot in the Arctic and Antarctica so maybe I think overheating will be less painfull...What concerns me is Africa....

If I were planning on using an R5/6 as a primary video cam, esp. for 4k/120, this review would worry me a great deal:

https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-eos-...otage-serious-limitation-doubtful-video-tool/

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Congrats, you won first prize for Wannabe Photographer, the necessary arrogance of which is fully displayed in your comment. Fortunately there are no genuine creative people who think link you.

Putting tools in the hands of talented people is what Canon does. Bring on the C100 mk III, and ignore the arrogant plodding wannabes who have no vision!

I have no idea if i am genuinly creative, others should decide that.
My kind of people shoot with whatever they have and make the best of it.

PS. I think you misread my comment ;)

Upvote 0
Meanwhile Jarad Polins video on the AF is worth a watch and is a massive step up from the R.

Autofocus must be quite good, but more importantly he put raw DNG files for download and I must say the dynamic range must be very good. ISO 400 shots look like 5DIV at ISO 100, and ISO 100 shots are much better. Unfortunately there isn't many deep shadows but from what I could see, the dynamic range will be better than 5DIV, probably on par with A7RIV.

On the flip side, it seems the AA filter is pretty strong there and requires quite high default sharpening.

Upvote 0
Not necessary, regarding the photography everything on the R5 Just Works™ :)

Clearly it works but so do my 5D IVs! We want to know exactly how it works and will it work for what we do! Will it be worth the making the switch? How does the higher MP/frame rate viewfinder compare to the regular speed digital finder or the R/R6 lower MP finder? Does it finally feel optical? How well does the new sensor deal with dynamic range, noise.. What new settings are going to make our life easier and our pictures better?

like most of us, I’d need to adapt a lot of EF glass while I build an RF kit. could take a few years to fully make that transition. How well does adapted glass work in a practical setting?

Upvote 0