I just wanted to clarify things about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 from yesterday’s report

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There have been a lot of visceral posts from a couple of web sites that have either taken things out of context or clearly just want to appear relevant.
Yesterday I wrote about a lot of reports of long delays in the second allocation of the Canon EOS R5.
I also wrote:
New firmware is definitely coming, but will there be a hardware solution/recall too? It’s starting to feel that way. But let’s wait and see what Canon has to say about the issue and get further confirmation about the second allocation being delayed until November.
I regret using the word “recall”, but I did write it in a responsible way, as in we should wait for confirmation from Canon Inc. themselves.
Let’s be honest, this launch is quite unusual, and a...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 12, 2016
Wish they could put a piece of black tape to suck the heat out.
They can, just don't expect your IBIS to still work afterward. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I think the Camera is Performing as Canon stated but they should have clarified that the record times are from a cold unit. I took my R5 out last night and shot 249 images full Raw, and was able to switch to 8K IPB and had 15mins showing, which I think was the SD cards limit:) cfexpress card should be here today.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I think the Camera is Performing as Canon stated but they should have clarified that the record times are from a cold unit. I took my R5 out last night and shot 249 images full Raw, and was able to switch to 8K IPB and had 15mins showing, which I think was the SD cards limit:) cfexpress card should be here today.

The cooldown times for internal recording aren't accurate, even in a climate-controlled environment. I generally only listen to the positive guys that do real work, and even they have shown that it isn't working as claimed. I don't want to open that can of worms again, but it's pretty unusable if you do the recommended cooldown time and end up with 4 minutes of recording before you have to cool it down again.

They'll do something, the perception around the camera for video is quite negative.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The cooldown times for internal recording aren't accurate, even in a climate-controlled environment. I generally only listen to the positive guys that do real work, and even they have shown that it isn't working as claimed. I don't want to open that can of worms again, but it's pretty unusable if you do the recommended cooldown time and end up with 4 minutes of recording before you have to cool it down again.

They'll do something, the perception around the camera for video is quite negative.
Yeah the cool down is bad, I think Canon being Canon insulated the camera so well that it defends itself better in direct sunlight but like a thermos once the heat is in it that heats stays in the camera for a long time.

I will say the 3 hour Youtube stream Gerald Undone did where the R6 overheated when sending the signal externally at 60P pretty quick into the chat but just would not die running 30P should be a sign the the high bit rate writing internally is a least part of the issue. So a firmware update could be a simple and fast fix.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

Wish they could put a piece of black tape to suck the heat out.
Black hole tape should work

As for the article: sounds reasonable. I also wouldn't expect anyone at Canon to confirm a recall other than through an official press release, regardless of whether that branch was in the know or not.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Just saw the Sony Northrup (borrowing this amusing moniker from someone who posted it elsewhere on these forums) that was very positive on the R5 stills capability. Makes we wish I could convince the wife we need one.

The video overheating is an issue, and not being a video guy I'm having a hard time finding sympathy or empathy for those crushed by it. I just don't understand. No one watches youtube at 8k, at least that I know, or often even 4k. I just have the impression people's expectations got too hyped up - like they went from not being able to record 8k at all to defining this instrument as garbage because it can only do 15-30min at a time. Similar for some of the 4k modes. But again, I freely admit I don't work in that space so I don't know what I may be missing here.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, Canon decides to do in terms of a fix if they really can't perform to spec.

-Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For my 2 cents, it would be hard to recall and fix the R5 body to radiate more heat away. The R5 is sealed and beyond bolting it to a block of ice or running EF lenses with a cooling adapter seems to be the only way to cool the unit besides going back to the drawing board. It's hard to have a sealed unit that will radiate heat. I would assume they will do something like Sony and turn the shutdown temperature up to let the body get hotter before it clicks off. Of course, you could always just take pictures with it as I think that's the original intent.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

[...] I just don't understand. No one watches youtube at 8k, at least that I know, or often even 4k. I just have the impression people's expectations got too hyped up - like they went from not being able to record 8k at all to defining this instrument as garbage because it can only do 15-30min at a time. Similar for some of the 4k modes.

Without going into too much detail, the issue is that heat builds up and never goes away. So I could be out taking pictures for an hour or so, causing the camera to accumulate heat. That heat never seems to go away due to the insulation of internal components.

So what that means if I ever want to use the 4K120fps or 8K modes at all, I have to do so at the start of my day. But being an event shooter I can't control when I need slow motion recordings, and I can't just leave the R5 off and in the bag the whole day just to be able to use one of it's basic functions. :)

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
This is why they must do something, no matter how many people defend Canon and say they don't care about video etc Their market valuation is what the people at Canon will be going to bed and waking up thinking about. And its a nightmare.

Their Stock has been slammed since launch, and trading at 21 year low on very high volumes. Not since 1999 have we seen these valuations. Which means that analyst with alot more information than us, that have both industry and company specific data see this launch as a failure, that will negatively impact financials.

With valuations like this, they will do something, and the market is already pricing some of that in. These are the kind of things that lead to layoffs, I don't want to see people lose their jobs, I hope they solve it.

Screenshot_20200731_143019.jpg

Screenshot_20200731_143225.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
I think people have overheated the problem way more than the actual cameras do. Canon is going to fix it, period. But, I'm not sure who's going to fix people's awful habit to focus on the negative! Instead of cheering for Canon for making serious attempts to break the conservatism barrier and come up with something that really pushes up the bar, most of the people went bonkers overnight because of the OH. And, if one doesn't see the bigger problem, they're most likely a part of it.
So, start prepping, for the end is nigh... :devilish:

Upvote 0

Canon themselves recommended using an external fan to cool it down - why? I ask why because it seems fans and even placing it in a fridge does not help much at all since the thermal insulation that prevents heat from entering the camera body will also prevent this type of cooling to become effective. This I conclude from watching a few videos. But I really hope I am wrong.

I am taking a wild guess here, but I think since Canon has a cooling patent (?) design (CR presented it recently), I think the R5/R6 is "already designed" to easily accept the patent's implementation (hardware side). I think that Canon may have prepared themselves for this perceived overheating issue (made by the public and reviewers) before releasing the cameras. Thinking if it (the outcry) does get out of control, it will be easy to update/recall by a rather simple (relative to a redesign) "plug and play" and that would calm people down. Maybe they didn't do it from the start because it would cost them extra money, or parts were not available (Covid). Maybe they released far fewer units than expected this 1st batch to see what actual buyers had to say about it? Then again, why take a chance with their reputation if they new this could be a PR problem from the start?

I'm just speculating.

Upvote 0

NoFilmSchool has done the most thorough R5 overheating test so far:

https://nofilmschool.com/testing-canon-r5-overheating

However one of the biggest deal breakers for us videographers was a tweet by Gerald Undone that after one hour of shooting stills the camera gave ZERO seconds of 4K HQ / 8K / 4K60p.

Other reports have said that just having the camera in standby overheats it.

Would be great if you could test this yourself and report back to us as those tests were all done on pre-production cameras.

Upvote 0

Darrell Cadieux

6D, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 35, 85, 200 1.8
I have read several rather nasty reports that the R5 is overheating while shooting stills. I want one primarily for wedding photography where I am going to shoot 2000+ frames in a day...many in rapid succession. Has anyone else heard of these problems?

Upvote 0