Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
What the rumor source meant to say was that the advent of the M7 will mark the end of treating the M line as a step child. The M line is being taken over from the Powershot folks at Canon by the big boys and girls who run the R (and formerly D) shop. The first evidence will be the M7 which will check all the boxes for the 7D folks. And then will come the M5 MkII, which will be the all - arounder. And, don't forget the coming speed booster so you can mount your R glass on your M. M glass will be limited to the wide side. Long stuff will be via RF (or legacy EF) lenses. And, the M50 line will be continued and expanded. Think of this end of the M line as the mirrorless Rebel series.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

FilipDP

Eos M50
Apr 17, 2020
My point was with what is available the M series is massively smaller than ff cameras with ff camera lenses. I personally believe the vast majority of people here underestimate three things, first is how much money the M series actually makes for Canon. Obviously none of us know an actual figure but seeing as how the Rebels used to be the cash cows and the M is a similar success I'd guess quite a decent percentage.

Second, Canon see the M as a size thing, they see it as a major selling point for the mass market that want better than phone quality images but not the size and price nor ultimate system flexibility of the ff cameras and lenses. We will never see Canon EF-M f2.8 zooms, never. Canon do not see the core customer base for the M series as giving a damn about f2.8 lenses, yes some people here might like them, but Canon do not see them as representative of the M mass market.

Third, the vast majority of people who buy into ILC's don't actually buy any more lenses, they get the kit lens, maybe a two lens kit, but most don't give a damn about how big or small other lenses are because they are not going to buy them anyway. But if they do get another lens, a macro or a prime, they don't want it to be the size and weight as the camera and zoom lens they already have.

Personally I don't see Canon as needing to do anything at all to continue dominating in the APS-C ILC space, no more lenses and little but minor updates to the 6, 50 and 100 series, sure I personally would like an M5 II, but truthfully I am not the M series primary market and I understand that simple point. Every camera doesn't have to be attractive to every customer even if we are GAS addled camera freaks.
I would like an M 2.8 zoom.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Honestly, I know everyone wants smaller and lighter cameras, but I'm fine with bigger cameras because the ergonomics are MUCH better and intuitive. Was never a fan of the M line. And I gave it a chance. I own the M, M3, and M50. They are decent cameras but don't work well enough for me. Let the line die I say

They may not work well enough for YOU, but they've been working for a heck of a lot of people over the years. The M6 Mark II is an incredibly capable little camera, and the M5 Mark II/M7 will even be more-so. I say let the line LIVE! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
What the rumor source meant to say was that the advent of the M7 will mark the end of treating the M line as a step child. The M line is being taken over from the Powershot folks at Canon by the big boys and girls who run the R (and formerly D) shop. The first evidence will be the M7 which will check all the boxes for the 7D folks. And then will come the M5 MkII, which will be the all - arounder. And, don't forget the coming speed booster so you can mount your R glass on your M. M glass will be limited to the wide side. Long stuff will be via RF (or legacy EF) lenses. And, the M50 line will be continued and expanded. Think of this end of the M line as the mirrorless Rebel series.
M7 to 7D folks? How is that going to look ergonomy wise? Probably will get never the same grip...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
This rumor and list of specs make no sense. 12 FPS with no AF?? The M6 Mark II can do 14 FPS WITH AF. Slow SD Card slots, "Cheap EVF"??? Sounds far more like a list from a Sony fanboy then a reputable source :p. And killing off the line in 2021?? That would make no financial sense as the EOS M series is one of the best selling mirrorless systems on the market.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
M7 to 7D folks? How is that going to look ergonomy wise? Probably will get never the same grip...

I keep hoping for an Olympus E-M1X type body. But after buying the RF100-500 I'm not so sure what a 7D-like M7 would give me over my current M6II and R5. If it weren't for the R5 I'd be preordering the M7.
And I'm still hoping for an Mxxx with eye-AF in servo mode and decent fps. The M6II is too big to easily take it anywhere, which I did with the M+22mm. On the other hand, with large lenses the M6II is too small :)

Upvote 0
Except there is a view that the earth’s rotation limits the max ibis to 6.5 stops and hence why Olympus and others never went further unless you do some really clever stuff. I posted a link to that article in another thread or you can google for it

But they could improve the amount of movement that it compensates for once they reach the limit of time/stops that are possible.

Also, the stops of stabilization are designed toward the test that measures them, not necessarily real life where 8 stops becomes 4-5 in practice. I still think they have some room to improve performance before hitting the theoretical limits, at least with full frame and APS-C.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Im afraid they won't be able to compete with Sony or Nikon in the high performance APS-C market
without a system with clear update path.

You're confusing overlapping sensor sizes with overlapping markets.

High performance APS-C is in the same market served by the EOS R system.

That's not the same market served by the EOS M system.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Except there is a view that the earth’s rotation limits the max ibis to 6.5 stops and hence why Olympus and others never went further unless you do some really clever stuff. I posted a link to that article in another thread or you can google for it

If you go back to the original interview, it is not entirely clear if he was being serious or not. The interview contains some banter, which makes me think he could've gone for "account for butterflies flapping their wings across the ocean" as well to describe that doing more than 6.5 stops is very difficult.
And I also don't know if those 6.5 stops were CIPA stops or actual, real world stops.

Upvote 0
No compatibility between RF and M. That cant work. Not sure if the registration distance would allow an RF-M adapter of any kind (doubt it?) or maybe an RF speedbooster to M.

But it is a shame Canon has pulled such a shortsighted move, if the rumors of its demise are true.

With m43 declining, maybe the compact MILC is on the way out.
Much like M43, the EOS M line sells very well, and yet, pundits keep wishing it away for some reason. Canon never intended M to be a professional system. That seems to bother people.

And no, you can't put an M lens on an RF body, but you could never put an EF-S lens on an EF body either. Sure, you could put EF lenses on EF-S bodies, but that was only rarely useful. And you can still put EF or EF-S on M or RF.

Upvote 0
Great to see the EOS M will be killed off in favour of RF if this is true. They never really were comitted to it with the most pathetic lens line-up imaginable after nearly 8 years.
It is a line for consumers. Not pros. Why does that seem to aggrevate folks? Canon did no better with the EF-S lineup.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I finally saw an M50 in the real world this weekend, for the first time. A friend of mine has an M50 he uses for his youtube channel. I couldn't believe how tiny it was! I finally see the point, which I clearly couldn't put together from spec sheets on the internet. And none of the local stores ever had one for me to put my hands on.

I'm thinking it would be nice to grab one, to take with places where photography isn't the main objective. So my daughter's soccer games, vacations, trips to the zoo would stay with the DSLR where i want the advantages of that lens kit and the weight/bulk is justified, but an M series could go in the pocket to the museum, or other outings where we may want snapshots of ourselves or random things we see. The DSLR stays home on those trips now because we don't want to carry it for little perceived use, and an M Series would give more creative control than a cell phone.

Just have to convince the wife.....M50 isn't that pricey.....

Brian

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Huh????? If Canon can make the SAME bodies right now in the M line but with RF mounts, they will. They can call it the RF-M instead of the EOS M. Whatever. It’s not about killing off the M line itself, its just about the MOUNT.
The purpose of the M line was for Canon to make great, compact, APS-C MILCs for the masses. Huge success.
But now we have the RF glass line, whose mount is similar to the M (albeit a tiny bit bigger but very close.). ApsC RF bodies are the next step for Canon. So what sense would it make for Canon to make two APSC MILC mount systems IF you can achieve the same thing on one??
Why would not want an M6 with an RF mount that can use small apsc rf glass and all the up to everything in RF if you wanted to? Canon is not making a huge line of M glass. They never have.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I finally saw an M50 in the real world this weekend, for the first time. A friend of mine has an M50 he uses for his youtube channel. I couldn't believe how tiny it was! I finally see the point, which I clearly couldn't put together from spec sheets on the internet. And none of the local stores ever had one for me to put my hands on.

I'm thinking it would be nice to grab one, to take with places where photography isn't the main objective. So my daughter's soccer games, vacations, trips to the zoo would stay with the DSLR where i want the advantages of that lens kit and the weight/bulk is justified, but an M series could go in the pocket to the museum, or other outings where we may want snapshots of ourselves or random things we see. The DSLR stays home on those trips now because we don't want to carry it for little perceived use, and an M Series would give more creative control than a cell phone.

Just have to convince the wife.....M50 isn't that pricey.....

Have a look at the M200 as well, it's even smaller with similar internals. If you don't need a hot shoe and want a really small camera, the M200 fits the bill. The M50 has that sweet tilty-flippy screen, though.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It is a line for consumers. Not pros. Why does that seem to aggravate folks? Canon did no better with the EF-S lineup.

It seems like most of the aggravation comes from people who want a 7D equivalent either in the M mount or the R mount. Some people are agnostic about the mount (me). Others are hell bent on an RF mount. Much of this comes from people who, in my mind, think that what Canon currently offers in the M mount somehow makes it impossible for them to offer anything else.

For example, just because the current M cameras are small, they think that a 7D replacement in the M mount has to be small. I find that ridiculous. The 7D wasn't constrained by the size of Rebels, why would an M7 be constrained by previous M bodies?

Also, people act like whatever Canon has offered in M mount lenses in the past means they can't offer different lenses in the future. Again, I find that silly.

Another point of contention is pricing. People seem to think they will get an R mount 7D replacement at a significantly lower price point than either the R6 or R5. I have my doubts.

Personally, I have serious doubts that Canon will want to repeat the confusion of the past by offering APS-C bodies in the RF mount. I think they may very well be over the idea of a high end APS-C body in their full frame mount. Suggesting that really upsets some folks.

Finally, there is just a lot of uncertainty about the future path of Canon ILCs. Some folks love to stir things up with "EF is dead comments" or with "the M line is going to be killed off" comments, regardless of whether or not such comments are relevant.

• Haha
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It is now clear that Canon is in the process of ending all EF based product lines. That means EF, EF-S AND EF-M.

Simply put, EF is too slow for modern cameras.

It is a pity that the rumors/leaks/plants don't give us a timeline for how quickly Canon will end R&D for EF.

RF is the way of the future.
I see time has not changed you. Welcome back.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I'd be interested to know how much of total EOS M series sales are to vloggers in N. America/W. Europe? Maybe 1%? Vloggers in the West aren't who are making the EOS M series the best selling ILC system in the world. Single camera owners in Asia and the Pacific rim are.

Yep agreed. The core are the women and Asian, and probably simply down to the size of the camera and how it fits. Conversely, many people want a larger body and larger lenses and the two requirements don’t fit the same line.

I’d also like to know if they make much profit from them or they just use it to shore up the numbers....

How much fun we’d all have if all this info from all manufacturers was made available - ha ha

Upvote 0