Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
More specifications for the Canon EOS M7, rumored to be announced this year are making the rounds on the web. I cannot confirm these specifications, but I figured I’d post them anyway.
The rumored price tag here doesn’t fit as a follow-up to the EOS M50.
Canon EOS M7 Specifications:

32mp APS-C sensor with DPAF II
IBIS
Slightly renewed DIGIC LSI
Cheap EVF, 2.36Mdots
Dual SD Cards, speed limits are the same as 4 years old cameras
12fps serial shooting, without AF active
4K from 24p to 60p, using all APS-C sensor sampling
1080p up to 120p (overheating at 120fps)
CLog mode for marketing purposes
$1599 price

The second part of this rumor suggests that Canon will be killing the EOS M line as early as some time in 2021. That means no more cameras or lenses for the system and it will be left to the history books in favor of the EOS R system.
I have heard this a couple of times over the last few months, but all of that information has come to be anonymously and I haven’t put much...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm not sure I put much, if any, faith in a rumor that points out its flaws already. "overheats at 120p" and "clog for marketing purposes" both sound like someone who isn't a fan of the products trying to make them sound bad.

At this point in development, who would have access or information to the cameras and would want to talk down on them? It just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 20 users
Upvote 0
No compatibility between RF and M. That cant work. Not sure if the registration distance would allow an RF-M adapter of any kind (doubt it?) or maybe an RF speedbooster to M.

But it is a shame Canon has pulled such a shortsighted move, if the rumors of its demise are true.

With m43 declining, maybe the compact MILC is on the way out.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I know everyone wants smaller and lighter cameras, but I'm fine with bigger cameras because the ergonomics are MUCH better and intuitive. Was never a fan of the M line. And I gave it a chance. I own the M, M3, and M50. They are decent cameras but don't work well enough for me. Let the line die I say

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Great to see the EOS M will be killed off in favour of RF if this is true. They never really were comitted to it with the most pathetic lens line-up imaginable after nearly 8 years.

Why, oh why would they kill off their best selling camera line? You love to drive-by snipe at the M series but you've never given a rationale.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Isn't it a waste of space to use a large RF mount for an APS-C camera? The amazing thing about the M line were the small cameras that you can ALWAYS carry around in your pocket, but still have a somewhat large APS-C sensor.

The problem are locations were cameras are not appreciated, but they sometimes still allow small, not "serious" looking cameras. In that category the M line offered the best value.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I'm not sure I put much, if any, faith in a rumor that points out its flaws already. "overheats at 120p" and "clog for marketing purposes" both sound like someone who isn't a fan of the products trying to make them sound bad.

At this point in development, who would have access or information to the cameras and would want to talk down on them? It just doesn't make sense.

To add to that full sensor 4k60p? that means 32mp down sampled to 4k which will be freaking awesome but no way Canon' cripple hammer will allow that at $1600 US price point. if that is true the camera will over heat for sure

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Many people who post on sites such as this one are biased against the M. Lord knows why.

Canon's line of M cameras are only growing in popularity...especially in Asia.

I honestly do not know if the M format will be orphaned soon but it just doesn't make sense to me, and it almost seems like those who propose these sorts of things are trolling.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Great to see the EOS M will be killed off in favour of RF if this is true. They never really were comitted to it with the most pathetic lens line-up imaginable after nearly 8 years.

Except it is the M series probaly helped gained the 2%+ market share that Canon gained recently. M50 is one of the best selling Canon MILC (based on various reporting) ever.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0