Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
RF-S like EF-S makes lot more sense than the EF-M mount. Knowing Canon' history I would not be surprised if Canon kills EF-M mount altogether. If that happens, I am sure the internet will be full of people crying, weeping and whining but it sounds like no matter how many times people get burned they will keep buying Canon. That is definitely good for Canon coz now they can sell the same cameras and lens with a different mount to the same consumers :LOL:. So that makes sense from business POV.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Many people who post on sites such as this one are biased against the M. Lord knows why.

Canon's line of M cameras are only growing in popularity...especially in Asia.

I honestly do not know if the M format will be orphaned soon but it just doesn't make sense to me, and it almost seems like those who propose these sorts of things are trolling.

It does not make sense to you and me but that makes sense to Canon coz now they can sell the same Cameras and the same lenses to the same set of consumers with a new mount. People tend to suck it up like they suck up Apple products :LOL:

Upvote 0
To be honest that last part sounds like wishful thinking from Mr. Majestyk.

M is one of the best selling camera lines on Earth. OK they may kill it but they will have to replace it with something else.
They are probably gonna replace it with RF mount APSC just like the Nikon Z and EF/EF-S.
It's sad, I like the form factor of the EOS M they are really small and the lenses are small as well. But I can understand if they want to expand RF into APSC as well, they will be in conflict with the M and they don't want to design lenses for two different lens mounts. I just hope if they really are making APSC RF they can make it small as well.

And its also sad that just as the EOS M get more competitive with the M6 II vs the likes of Sony and Fuji they are cutting this line, but we'll still have to see this is probably just rumors. If this is true, I can see the likes of Fuji being my alternative to the EOS M they do have a more complete lens lineup and good colors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If they want to evolve that's fine, but just add a rf mount onto the new pro model rumored to be coming out. Would be a great way to get best of both worlds i dont think canon is going to be stupid enough to get rid of their best selling camera ! Next thing people will be saying columbians sell rugs :)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Wow, feeling vindicated by a CR-1 rumor?
Yeah. Come back when it’s a Canon Press Release. Zero sense in maintaining the M line production when you can completely replace it with Uniform upgradeable glass on a singular mount system and transition over to the same end result

• Haha
Upvote 0
While the M line doesn't really have a clean upgrade path to the R bodies, I still struggle to see Canon offloading a popular system without a replacement.

Canon doesn't really have anything else which offers that level of performance in such a small package. I think offloading M would leave them without offerings in a niche that sells well. I guess if they wanted to consolidate manufacturing effort they could offload both M and EF-S bodies in favor of an RF APS-C line, which would create a cleaner transition to high end R bodies, but that may be a lot of transition work to take on whole still filling out the RF line of lenses.

I guess it's possible, maybe even probable eventually, but I struggle to see it until the RF mount is better established.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah. Come back when it’s a Canon Press Release. Zero sense in maintaining the M line production when you can completely replace it with Uniform upgradeable glass on a singular mount system and transition over to the same end result

Zero sense in dumping their best selling line.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
RF-S like EF-S makes lot more sense than the EF-M mount. Knowing Canon' history I would not be surprised if Canon kills EF-M mount altogether. If that happens, I am sure the internet will be full of people crying, weeping and whining but it sounds like no matter how many times people get burned they will keep buying Canon. That is definitely good for Canon coz now they can sell the same cameras and lens with a different mount to the same consumers :LOL:. So that makes sense from business POV.

hell no.

if canon cancel EF-M mount and make a new mount, I'll go to sony's a6xxx.

I still want 2 systems. 1 for when I want the best I can afford (FF). and the 2nd for portability (M/APS-C).
I don't want to use huge lenses when I need portability.

But I'll probably still get Canon for FF.

LOL!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
hell no.

if canon cancel EF-M mount and make a new mount, I'll go to sony's a6xxx.

I still want 2 systems. 1 for when I want the best I can afford (FF). and the 2nd for portability (M/APS-C).
I don't want to use huge lenses when I need portability.

But I'll probably still get Canon for FF.

LOL!! :ROFLMAO:
Pretty much same. I use RP but probably will switch to Fuji for light weight street photography and hiking.

Upvote 0
God, I really hope this isn't true. I know a lot of pros don't like the M line, but as a semi-pro I saw a lot of potential in it (though I'll admit, Canon has yet to fulfill that potential). About six months out of the year, I travel almost constantly. My M50 with 22 is a great little jacket-pocket camera that is nearly invisible in my carry-on and I can bring my adapted 17-55 f/2.8 for when I wanna get a bit more diverse. The other six months I do product and portrait photography on the side, and I use my 80D for that.

I've always thought if Canon put a few more features in the body, as well as gave us a substantial battery grip, the M line would be perfect for people like me. The option of having a tiny travel camera on one hand, and then the option to expand that via a battery grip and EF adapter into an APS-C workhorse is still a dream of mine. I hate having to swap between cameras - I'd rather be able to mod my tiny travel camera into a bigger pro body when necessary and that's what I always hoped they'd do with the M line - make it a kind of transformer.

And while I certainly think there are nowhere near enough M lenses, the ones we have are great. The Sigma trio is amazing from what I've seen, and the 22 f/2 is my favorite lens ever. I'll miss it if the M line dies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And while I certainly think there are nowhere near enough M lenses, the ones we have are great. The Sigma trio is amazing from what I've seen, and the 22 f/2 is my favorite lens ever. I'll miss it if the M line dies.

The good news is this is probably all BS anyway. But even if it isn't your 22mm f/2.0and M50 will continue to function. Ironically right now that same lens is on MY M50. I haven't really done too much with it yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I agree with the consensus that these rumors sound like mere forum reverberations.

But to those who think Canon wouldn't kill the M line because it's a best-seller, I'd just say that Canon may find that it can make more net profit by forcing people in that market to buy a very small full frame R-line camera like the RP. People who buy the RP typically would have access to glass that gives Canon 100's of dollars of margin, versus 10's of dollars of margin. Their market research may (or may not) indicate that they could get a majority of current M buyers to buy into the RF system, creating bigger margins and also creating much better development and manufacturing efficiencies. They may surmise that having a system that sits between your phone and an RP is a bit of a nether world. I'm not saying any of these conditions are true. I don't know. But it is very possible.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Too many maybes to believe the details, but a top flight M body would be very welcome. I really like the M5, but added a 90D instead of an M6II for the better video. I have almost all the M lenses and although most are not fast, they are all quite good with the 11-22 being my favorite. Since the camera currently in certification is likely not this one, that means two new M bodies before the end of the year. That hardly sounds like a precursor to a funeral. The M line is still the most portable APS-C family out there, particularly if you are planning to take several lenses with you (what those lenses give up in speed, they give back in portability).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'd be shocked if Canon dropped the M line. I realize a lot of enthusiasts want it to go away, but the sales figures are what Canon listens to.

What I can't fathom is why the hate. It's a perfectly good system, and it being there doesn't break your bones or pick your pocket.

They do ditzier cameras by far than the M, yet they don't get nearly the hate.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Since the camera currently in certification is likely not this one, that means two new M bodies before the end of the year. That hardly sounds like a precursor to a funeral.

Yeah, that struck me as odd too. They're supposedly going to release the best M camera ever...then kill the line? If they plan to kill it, why bother with that body then?

And yes the M is very useful, for portablility. Even with the Tamron 18-200 lens on my M6-II (a lens fatter than Canon makes for the M series), it's still petite next to my R5 and the two monster lenses on it (those suckers bend light outside the lens).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0