Rumors of a Canon EOS R5c and EOS R5s [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
While we have had numerous mentions of a high-resolution EOS R camera coming down the pipeline, Canon Watch is reporting than Canon will also introduce a video focused EOS R camera, which will be different than the upcoming EOS C50 and EOS C70.
I’m calling the cameras ‘EOS R Video’ and ‘EOS R high-resolution’.
A direct quote of specifications:

EOS R Video: has the same sensor technology as the EOS R5 but with half the resolution
EOS R Video: records 4K/120P with no crop
EOS R Video: does 2.8K supersampling in super35 mode
Both have a newly developed heat sinks
EOS high-resolution: has “double-width resolution sensor of EOS R6“  (This would put the resolution at 80mp if I’m understanding that correctly.)
EOS High-resolution: does 12fps
Dual Pixel AF performance in low light better than...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... An high resolution body with IBIS and 12 FPS... You are welcome!!
80MP with an (double) IBIS - this will be usable - even handheld with moderate shutter speeds.
An higher DR and better low light capacity... (y)

5500 € for this monster body?

I wonder, how Canon will fix my/the heat problem with my/the R5. Maybe, an modification is possible. But I am in fear Canon will ignore this and say the newer bodies will get an heat update.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
The reason I am sceptical about this is the CanonWatch report contains the alternative designation of 3 instead of 5. Anyone familiar with rumours about Canon cameras for the last 12 years or so is familiar with the fabled 3 series of cameras that would fit between the 1D cameras and the 5D line. The thing is they never materialised. Maybe Canon was considering it, but when they bought out the 5Ds line, they still kept the 5. Which is what made me think the whole mythical 3 series was a figment of wishful thinking, and not based on anything Canon was ever really considering. This is what makes me sceptical about any mention of 3. Yes, Canon could slot in another line of camera, but that isn't what they actually did with the 5D line. What actually happened, is that Canon upped the specification of the 5D line, so they became tougher, gained AF systems close to the 1D line, rather than Canon creating a whole new line of cameras. The original 5D was prosumer type camera, and even the 5D mkII didn't have a top flight AF system. This is what the original 3 rumour was about, a full professional FF, none 1D camera. But the 5D mkIII and mkIV were that camera, not a 3.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The reason I am sceptical about this is the CanonWatch report contains the alternative designation of 3 instead of 5. Anyone familiar with rumours about Canon cameras for the last 12 years or so is familiar with the fabled 3 series of cameras that would fit between the 1D cameras and the 5D line. The thing is they never materialised. Maybe Canon was considering it, but when they bought out the 5Ds line, they still kept the 5. Which is what made me think the whole mythical 3 series was a figment of wishful thinking, and not based on anything Canon was ever really considering. This is what makes me sceptical about any mention of 3. Yes, Canon could slot in another line of camera, but that isn't what they actually did with the 5D line. What actually happened, is that Canon upped the specification of the 5D line, so they became tougher, gained AF systems close to the 1D line, rather than Canon creating a whole new line of cameras. The original 5D was prosumer type camera, and even the 5D mkII didn't have a top flight AF system. This is what the original 3 rumour was about, a full professional FF, none 1D camera. But the 5D mkIII and mkIV were that camera, not a 3.
Maybe you are right and this is wishful thinking. After all, with so many cameras and lenses announced and starting to sell there are not many new rumors anyway and clicks have to continue....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Combining high resolution with "speed" sounds impossible. But it of course depends on how you interprets the term "speed". But already 12fps sounds unrealistic in my ears?
Somebody's wishful thinking?
A couple of us did the math in another thread. There would likely be limitations, but it appears that the Digic X can handle 10 fps on a 90 MP sensor. So, some slight adjustments, 12 fps on an 80 MP sensor.

Current R5: 45 MB x 20 fps = 900 MB/sec
80 MB x 12 fps = 960 MB/sec.

These are essentially the same (and for the purists, the MB increases with ISO, so the Digic X can actually handle >1 TB/sec).

Basically, Canon took a huge leap forward with the Digic X and we will likely reap the rewards moving foward.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
To me, we are continuing to circle around the M6II/90D sensor scaled up to 82.5 MP. But, it also allows you to shoot FF at 82.5 MP, but the ability to shoot crop at 32 MP. So, for example, shoot landscapes at 82.5 MP but then push a button and shoot wildlife on crop and still have 32 MPs at 12 fps. That will interest a lot of people.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
However a supercharged R6 (with heatsinks) would make sense just to shut the Sony fanboys...
It still wouldn't do 4k120p and it would eat into the 1DX III as well (which will be firmware updated alongside the R5) and it would cost as much as the R5 as well, which overall has a better base for video.
So it makes very little sense.

Upvote 0
I don't know - this doesn't smell right to me. The R5 high resolution I can believe (I guess?) but the R5 video seems to make less sense to me. Wouldn't a half resolution R5 with R5 sensor tech just be an R6 with a heat sink? And maybe I'm missing something (very possible), but I'm not seeing why a 2.8k supersampling in super35 would be useful - is that just to get high quality 1080?

Upvote 0