The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
No, I was also surprised they raised the price on lenses. It gives a poor impression even when it's necessary.
I think we were all surprised by the lens price increase, as many of us felt Canon had already priced most of their L lenses at the upper range of what one would expect. On the other hand, we don't really know the current cost of R&D, materials, chips, marketing, transportation, etc., involved in the mfg of camera gear right now. We also don't have the privilege of inside information as to what Canon's profit margins on R/RF eqpt. are either. In the absence of the aforementioned, I will temper my criticism(s).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
The main advantage of the R3 will be the focus system. If you can select and focus as fast as Canon promises this camera will sell well; very well!
Canon Germany says it "would feel like the camera is reading your mind"

canon.de

We shouldn't judge if the price is to high before we see the real performance.
That's what Ken Rockwell said in his review of the eos 3 SLR with the original "eye controlled AF"
I have a later model eos 30v with the same system (although with less AF points) and I found that it worked pretty well if I used a large Hoodman eyecup which meant my eye was in a consistent position.
Not sure if the R3 has a replaceable eyecup though. The other R cameras don't appear to have this sadly.
I also set it up with back button focus so I could use it to focus on what I wanted and then as soon as I stopped pressing the assigned button it stayed focused on that object and I had a second back button set up for normal focusing.
I suspect Canon's new version will be much better and I'd love to try it out.

Imagine on the R3 with dual back button focus :
  1. one button for eye controlled focus
  2. the other button for eye tracking of birds say.
One feature that I'd really like for Canon to offer would be to be able to reassign the half press / full press shutter button so that if you use back button focus you could assign the half press position for single shots and full press for bursts. I would love to be able to click away single shots and then if anything exciting happens I could just blast away at the maximum burst fps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.06.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.06.00 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Um, absolutely not. Ergonomics do not cancel out MP. I will never shoot Sony, but still. I will never buy a 24MP camera, either.
You may notice i said 'depending on use case. So yes. For some people ergonomics trump.mega pickles. You are not the only photographer on the planet you know

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
If the R3 was meant to be the R3 then they already had started development of the R1 and had developed a product segmentation strategy. They had also built their development and release schedule for the R1 in the context of their plans for other models and lenses.

If the R3 was meant to be the R1 but the renamed it the R3 presumably after seeing the A1, then they have to start development of an R1 when none was planned, juggle all of their resources, including human resources, materials, manufacturing, marketing, etc, decide on a new product segmentation strategy, and then decide how all of this impacts their other planned releases.

So that is a huge difference. Imagine the product planning meetings, the marketing meetings, the engineering meetings, the manufacturing resources and logistics meetings, etc.

It is totally naive to believe that such a name change is trivial. To believe that shows no understanding of what it takes to plan and develop and bring to the market these very sophisticated technology products.

A well run company cannot function that way.
All I said was that folks are acting as if it's an impossible theory, NOT that it doesn't require effort. Having worked in project management for well over a decade I fully understand the life cycle of things and what it takes to change something at the development stage, but that doesn't make it impossible, especially if it's determined that the level of work and cost is warranted. It's just funny to me that people are so adamant what Canon is and isn't doing when the reality is, not a single one of us knows what Canon did, no matter how far-fetched or labor intensive it may have been. Just because people think it doesn't make sense certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen. That's my only point, and unless you work for Canon and know exactly what went on, you can't refute that point.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Well, I don't think you can say that hypothetical(although I'd tend to agree) better ergonomics cancels the 50mp versus the rumoured 30megapixels of the R3. There's a lot to be said for a smaller body too. Additionally, the R1 doesn't exist yet, so I think it's a bit premature to make assumptions when nothing is known about it.
Again. As i pointed out to another response i said 'depending on ones use case'. Why do people miss that?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I really agree with your last sentence of your post. The R3 is 80% of the way to a flagship model at 95% of the cost...
I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I suspect the flagship price will be higher than the current price of a 1DX3.

Even at "just" $7500, this would make the R3 80% of the cost of an R1 :)

I truly don't know how price-sensitive people or companies who are in the market for a R1 are.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The R1 will cost $6,999, so the R3, at 5,999, is 85.7% of the cost. ;)

What I find somewhat odd - and perhaps amusing - is the forum dweller's obsession with Sony. My personal opinion, and I've seen a few photographers express similar opinions, is that the Sony A1 is much more comparable in performance and aimed at the same target market as the R5. Sony does not have a camera that readily compares with any Canon series 1 camera, let alone the R3. It seems to me that the only people who care about whether a camera is the "flagship" are those that can brag to their friends that they own the "flagship". I doubt any serious photographer gives a hoot about whether their camera is the"flagship" or not. Serious photographers buy the camera that best suits their needs. In the Canon mirrorless world - at the moment - those who want a high MP camera can buy the R5. Those that want less MPs, but a more rugged, integrated grip body can buy the R3. So why in the world all the bitching and moaning other than to prove to a lot people how immature you are? That's my opinion, anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I'll reserve judgement on the price until we actually know what we are getting. I'd like to see what the early reviewers cannot talk about that might make this price seem quite reasonable. We clearly don't know everything about it. So here's a wild suggestion. Is Canon going to do something unexpected, like 16 bit raw? Maybe that (or something else) is why we only see 24 megapixel JPGs so far. Would that change your thinking? After the R5/R6, will they introduce another ground breaking camera? We just don't know, yet.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
You suggested that Canon recognized they’d need an interim MILC model to bridge the temporal gap and release the R1 on the recent cycle of 1-series updates, i.e., around 2024. I think that’s very likely. So the R3 will meet the needs of 1-series shooters who want to use a MILC for whatever reason – faster frame rate, using the new RF lenses like the 28-70/2, etc.

The R1 then ‘replaces’ both the 1D X III and R3. I do think that means the R1 keeps a moderate resolution, 24-30 MP.

As I often say, Canon has the data on who uses what bodies where…but it would seem logical to keep the lighter, less rugged R5-series as the higher resolution bodies. Studios aren’t war zones, and wedding photographers aren’t likely to be bowled over by a linebacker and need to get up and keep shooting.

I think those on this forum predicting the R1 will be a high-MP body are hoping for wish fulfillment (whether or not they’d actually buy one).

It’s possible Canon will go high MP with the R1, in which case I’d expect it in a year or so. In that case, they’d be reversing course on combining the 1D and 1Ds lines. But the 1D X was basically the 1D IV with a FF sensor, and the high MP torch was passed to the 5-series. They kept the 1D X II and III at 20 MP and released a 45 MP R5, suggesting the course they set with 1- and 5-series DSLRs will carry through to MILCs.
Yeah, I have no clue (admitting that all we do here is guess anyway).

What confuses me would be if the R1 is going to follow the traditional path of the 1 series, it should have a conservative resolution. But, would they really offer two gripped bodies with a 24mp and say a 30 mp sensor? Doesn't seem likely to me. But, if they go with 45 or more mp, they are breaking with tradition and I'm not sure that's what the traditional audience would want (if we are to believe Canon's longstanding policy of making their flagship camera lower resolution to accommodate those working under deadlines.)

I do tend to agree with you that those predicting a high-MP body are hoping for wish fulfillment and I also agree that most will never buy one, but simply in my opinion, want to be able to say to their Sony and Nikon frenemies that Canon has a higher resolution body.

For me personally, I'll be racing you to hit the preorder button. I'm sure you will beat me to it because I'm on central time and I don't intend to be setting an alarm clock or anything. I'm not quite that crazy. Close, but not quite.

• Haha
Upvote 0
very interesting to see the price disparity, $6000 usd is $8156aussie and the euro conversion makes it $9794 those Europeans are getting shafted by canon crazy. the $1600 dollar difference you could fly to USA and have a holiday and pay no taxes! apart from Covid meaning we cant even leave our own country. at least until next year some time. You d have to be crazy to buy one in Europe from a dealer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, I have no clue (admitting that all we do here is guess anyway).

What confuses me would be if the R1 is going to follow the traditional path of the 1 series, it should have a conservative resolution. But, would they really offer two gripped bodies with a 24mp and say a 30 mp sensor? Doesn't seem likely to me. But, if they go with 45 or more mp, they are breaking with tradition and I'm not sure that's what the traditional audience would want (if we are to believe Canon's longstanding policy of making their flagship camera lower resolution to accommodate those working under deadlines.)

I do tend to agree with you that those predicting a high-MP body are hoping for wish fulfillment and I also agree that most will never buy one, but simply in my opinion, want to be able to say to their Sony and Nikon frenemies that Canon has a higher resolution body.

For me personally, I'll be racing you to hit the preorder button. I'm sure you will beat me to it because I'm on central time and I don't intend to be setting an alarm clock or anything. I'm not quite that crazy. Close, but not quite.
I think time will make the difference. A 24-30 MP R1 released 3 years from now can be a successor to the R3 and the 1D X III from last year. I agree that the R3 is likely to be a one-off.

Now that my kids are back in school, I’m up at 6a anyway. :)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I think time will make the difference. A 24-30 MP R1 released 3 years from now can be a successor to the R3 and the 1D X III from last year. I agree that the R3 is likely to be a one-off.

Now that my kids are back in school, I’m up at 6a anyway. :)
Man, there'll be some disappointed posters here if the R1 isn't released for 3 years! I guess it depends on the final specs of the R3 and a clearer idea of the niche it's aimed at (which will also say something about whether it's a one-off or not). But if the take-up is very good (which I suspect it will be) then I can't see them rushing out a 1D Xiii replacement 12 months down the track. The 1 DXiii would be 'due' for replacement anyway in about ... 2023?

Upvote 0