In a shocking development, Canon adds the EOS R3, RF 16mm f/2.8 & RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM to its list of products with a supply issue

Yeah, no surprise, but its not going to kill me to wait. The R6, R5 and 1DXIII are all so good that it makes the R3 more of a want than an immediate need. Also by the time the R3 is more available, the initial firmware bugs will be sorted out and Adobe will have support for the raw files. Works for me.

Upvote 0
I'm genuinely surprised that this would be a hot ticket item:
  • Strap ER-L1
Its not. Thats just how inept Canon has become. They can't produce anything these days without months long delays. A STRAP? :ROFLMAO: Sony needs all the chips they can get for their PS5, sensors, TVs and all the other crap they make and they are still getting cameras and lenses out. Canon has one job....

Upvote 0
It does not surprise me that Canon has announced still more stock shortages. What I don't believe is the part of about Canon receiving more orders than expected. That is a bunch of you know what. Canon should just state the obvious. We needed to announce these new products, but given supply chain issues we will not be able to produce nearly enough units to meet initial demand. We apologize, but these issues are out of our control. Just be honest Canon, we all understand what is happening in the world these days with supply.
Yet Sony, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron etc...are still churning out cameras and lenses without months long delays....Sony is smart. Im sure the a7IV has been ready to go for quite awhile now, but they are waiting until they have the production needed to even announce it, much less release it. And thats with getting all the chips needed for their PS5, sensors, TVs...Canon has become inept as a company.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Yet Sony, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron etc...are still churning out cameras and lenses without months long delays....Sony is smart. Im sure the a7IV has been ready to go for quite awhile now, but they are waiting until they have the production needed to even announce it, much less release it. And thats with getting all the chips needed for their PS5, sensors, TVs...Canon has become inept as a company.
For an inept company, they are doing pretty well. They shipped more cameras last year than Sony, Nikon, and Fuji combined.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
For an inept company, they are doing pretty well. They shipped more cameras last year than Sony, Nikon, and Fuji combined.
The key word there is "shipped". The same way Samsung likes to claim they sell more phones than Apple which is not true because they quote "shipped" when in reality, a lot of it is just sitting on store shelves.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
The key word there is "shipped". The same way Samsung likes to claim they sell more phones than Apple which is not true because they quote "shipped" when in reality, a lot of it is just sitting on store shelves.
If they are sitting on store shelves, why are they listed as backordered? (the whole point of this article). Your arguments make no sense whatsoever.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
The chip shortage is not true and they’re simply creating a false demand bubble to justify increasing the prices

/justajokepleasedonttakemeseriously
While I can't speak for the camera industry in particular, the chip shortage on a wider scale is most definitely true. Chip shortage has affected a wide range of products, even appliances. I can assure you the big three auto makers aren't shutting down manufacturing plants (and paying benefits still) during a high demand time...just to increase demand further. Economically it makes no sense. It costs more to shut down than what you are going to gain in price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I am a HUGE canon fanboy of 25+ years. Six dSLR bodies. . .a dozen plus lenses. . . . a bunch of flash units. . . . more Canon P&S's than I can count.

But frankly - The "R" series is leaving me cold.
It's one thing to make my entire EF glass collection obsolete. . . . but even if I *wanted* at this point to spring for $6 to $10K on a "R" kit - - -> I *can't* because the products are not available.

meh. . .ok. . . . .GAS has been quenched. . . . .

This pandemeic is saving me money left and right. . . I was due for a new car in late 2020. . . put it off to 2021. . . .now I am pretty sure I won't touch 2022's either. This is saving me all kinds of money. . . . which I will use to buy a loaf of bread. . . or maybe a 2x4.
Display driver chip shortage. As with every single electronics manufacturer on the planet. Anything that needs a display driver.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Incorrect ts not the same. Canon doesnt have to claim. Items Sold have nothing to do with inventory "shipped". Market share isnt determined by inventory shipped. Webpage and warehouse management dont have anything to do with manufacturer sales. Especially international imports. The vendor purchases and makes a payment on items prior to their arriving at import locations. Those vendor webpage indicators have nothing to do with manufacturer sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, no surprise, but its not going to kill me to wait. The R6, R5 and 1DXIII are all so good that it makes the R3 more of a want than an immediate need. Also by the time the R3 is more available, the initial firmware bugs will be sorted out and Adobe will have support for the raw files. Works for me.
As to your first statement, yep, patience is in order right now. As to your second statement, definitely true for many of us. And your final statement, concur and would add that while the R3 gets tweaked, we'll be getting that much closer to the R1, hopefully......in the interim, we can read some of the hands on R3 reviews, like Jeff Cable's Olympic experience with same. Here's the link to his blog:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If they are sitting on store shelves, why are they listed as backordered? (the whole point of this article). Your arguments make no sense whatsoever.
Ok, well if your bragging rights are products shipped, you can kiss that goodbye this year since Canon can't seem to ship anything the past 6 months lol

• Haha
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Ok, well if your bragging rights are products shipped, you can kiss that goodbye this year since Canon can't seem to ship anything the past 6 months lol
Each of your responses gets dumber. Follow this thread back and note that Canon out-shipped Sony, Nikon, and Fuji combined over the last year. They didn't do that by stopping shipments 6 months ago.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I read an interesting article about COVID-19 and its impact on the supply chain in many industries.

Key point -- for the last forty years or so, manufacturing has followed the "just in time" philosophy of keeping minimal inventory of raw materials and components on hand and relied on quick shipments from suppliers. That's now coming back to bite manufacturers in the butt. The article gave several examples where companies cannot get simple things (one example was a tent manufacturer who couldn't get Velcro and thus their entire manufacturing line was disrupted.)

Complicating this is that most manufacturers no longer have warehousing space because they relied on shippers to get their components to them as they were needed. Now, companies are having to not only interrupt their manufacturing lines while they wait for parts, but they don't have any warehouse space to store the parts they can get (and of course they are now ordering more parts than what they need immediately, because they are uncertain if the parts will be available in the future). Warehouse space can't be added overnight and companies are in bidding wars to secure pre-existing space.

We've read about things like chip shortages, but we never think about all the other components that go into cameras and lenses that can hold things up, something as simple as securing the right screws to assemble a lens, rubber gaskets for weather sealing, Styrofoam pellets needed to make packaging etc. etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I read an interesting article about COVID-19 and its impact on the supply chain in many industries.

Key point -- for the last forty years or so, manufacturing has followed the "just in time" philosophy of keeping minimal inventory of raw materials and components on hand and relied on quick shipments from suppliers. That's now coming back to bite manufacturers in the butt. The article gave several examples where companies cannot get simple things (one example was a tent manufacturer who couldn't get Velcro and thus their entire manufacturing line was disrupted.)

Complicating this is that most manufacturers no longer have warehousing space because they relied on shippers to get their components to them as they were needed. Now, companies are having to not only interrupt their manufacturing lines while they wait for parts, but they don't have any warehouse space to store the parts they can get (and of course they are now ordering more parts than what they need immediately, because they are uncertain if the parts will be available in the future). Warehouse space can't be added overnight and companies are in bidding wars to secure pre-existing space.

We've read about things like chip shortages, but we never think about all the other components that go into cameras and lenses that can hold things up, something as simple as securing the right screws to assemble a lens, rubber gaskets for weather sealing, Styrofoam pellets needed to make packaging etc. etc.
Sure, but isn’t it easier to just spout a conspiracy theory about holding back stock to drive up demand and prices than to actually learn about the issues?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
While I can't speak for the camera industry in particular, the chip shortage on a wider scale is most definitely true. Chip shortage has affected a wide range of products, even appliances. I can assure you the big three auto makers aren't shutting down manufacturing plants (and paying benefits still) during a high demand time...just to increase demand further. Economically it makes no sense. It costs more to shut down than what you are going to gain in price.
I was joking!

Of course I know it’s a real thing, been trying to buy an electric piano for 3 months now and even 5 year old models are out of stock. I doubt all manufacturers of almost everything with a chip would conspire together to make an extra buck.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I was joking!

Of course I know it’s a real thing, been trying to buy an electric piano for 3 months now and even 5 year old models are out of stock. I doubt all manufacturers of almost everything with a chip would conspire together to make an extra buck.
I completely missed it lol. Sorry.

• Haha
Upvote 0

I'm looking to buy a new sofa. Told there's a 16 week order time - because nobody can get the foam for the pillows(!)

*surprised pikachu*

Oh well, the old one is almost 20 years old, so I can wait few months more.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Canon does not have to rely on third party Mfgs' for their sensors. They long ago decided it was in their best interest to make their own. Perhaps, it's time to consider manufacturing their own chips, as well, instead of being held ransom due to short supply of same. Of course, this would take quite some time and we do realize that there are other items besides chips that are difficult to acquire, as well, not to mention this would require huge start up capitol. I would love to see a documentary study done, following the total R&D, design and Mfg process involved in bringing a new camera or lens to market, as well as the inherent logistical problems in doing so. Where are you Ken Burns?? Upon reflection, we should note how much we took a normal supply chain process for granted. While we have seen a plethora of fantastic products come to market over the last few yrs., we now have to deal with the reality of limited availability, tempering our demand for wanting it right now, with a little bit (maybe a lot) of patience. I'm working hard to apply the last statement, given our current supply shortages.

Upvote 0