Nikon officially announces the Nikon Z 9, and it’s a remarkable $5499

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
DP used a slow card, and Ricci here gives a much more informed view, and his findings are in line with the Z9 manual which says 79 uncompressed raws.

Still quite low, but I doubt there'll be much difference between lossless and lossy raw for the types of shooting that need 20fps.
Once you drop to one of the lossy raws (still 14bit) the buffer is virtual endless (500+/1000+).
Only 79 RAW files at 20 fps in lossless RAW. I would have anticipated a larger buffer (200) so one would have 10 sec buffer at 20 fps. Must be a limitation in current tech.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Only 79 RAW files at 20 fps in lossless RAW. I would have anticipated a larger buffer (200) so one would have 10 sec buffer at 20 fps. Must be a limitation in current tech.
No limit on the buffer size other than the amount of RAM they want to stuff in the box.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The EOS R is basically that. I guess the form factor is slightly different, but it's the exact same sensor and they are cheap to acquire now. I took many great photos on it before trading it in for an R5.
I tried it, but couldn't get the touch screen focus pointing to work. Also I want image stabilization.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

2 GB/s CF Express 1.0 cards due next year as well as 4 GB/s CF Express 2.0 cards. The cameras buffer is very card dependent, with the current limit being the 1.5 GB/s CF Express 1.0 cards (which have been fast enough until now).

Upvote 0
What does that have to do with the 5D MK IV?
The 5D IV has spectacular Live View focusing. If your subjects aren't moving very quickly where you need to reframe a lot and you should always be providing room for cropping as I need to, then there is little advantage to an R5 over a 5D IV apart from built in stabilization and the tilt screen. Plus I find the R5 uncomfortable to hold after two different week long trials on paid jobs.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
The 5D IV has spectacular Live View focusing. If your subjects aren't moving very quickly where you need to reframe a lot and you should always be providing room for cropping as I need to, then there is little advantage to an R5 over a 5D IV apart from built in stabilization and the tilt screen. Plus I find the R5 uncomfortable to hold after two different week long trials on paid jobs.
What you said what "All I want is Canon's 30 MP sensor from the 5D IV, with that form factor as mirrorless camera", which is why I recommended the R. I guess it turns out that it's not actually "all you want", since you mention live view performance and IBIS and form factor. To be fair, the R/R5 do not have that form factor, but I always shoot my R5 with a battery grip anyway, partially because I extensively use the vertical shutter.

Upvote 0