Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
This is probably a stupid question but does sensor size have any bearing on the electronic viewfinder resolution. In other words, is a 2.36M dot EVF the same resolution on a full frame camera as on a crop sensor camera? And, while we are on the topic, are there other factors that might make a new 2.36 dot EVF sharper than an older EVF like the R?
I can't see why sensor size would matter WRT viewfinder resolution. 24MP FF and 24MP APS-C are both 24MP. As for your second question, I haven't a clue.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I can't see why sensor size would matter WRT viewfinder resolution. 24MP FF and 24MP APS-C are both 24MP. As for your second question, I haven't a clue.
I guess if the viewfinder image is smaller (less magnified), like it traditionally is in APS-C optical VFs, then the apparent resolution is higher, of course at the expense of a more "tunnel-like" VF image. But I don’t know if that’s the case.

Upvote 0
For those who didn't see the video before it goes/went private, here's what I got:

15mechanical/30electronic shutter
1/320 flash sync
focus bracketing
4K/60 uncropped
4K/30 oversampled from 7K
Canon Log 3, 10bit 4-2-2, timecode, no 30min limit
Full-HD/120

Mostly disappointed about the EVF spec. Especially if it doesn't have a highspeed mode (100 or 120fps), which I kind of suspect it won't have :-(
Here's hoping this is a sign that the next firmware update to the R5/6 will include a removing of the 30 limit record limit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Mockup posted here for leaked specs were pretty accurate.
Assuming these pictures are legit...seems to me there were folk(s) who had a "preview look" (or knew enough) and were thus able to create a more accurate representation of the final product...

I initially found it odd that the mockup somehow had a AF/MF switch in that spot (no R cameras I know of have that switch, just the DOF button), but it all makes sense now.

Anyway, I expected that this "R7" would have been much closer to the R5 in size, features and appearance, especially considering the 7D series' strong resemblance to the 5D series. Perhaps even borrowing certain features from the R3 (like eye control and vehicle tracking) to set it apart and justify its price point with an APS-C sensor. Seems to be closer to the R6 in features, but even then, there are major ergonomic differences. Not sure what they're going for here? Looks similar in size to the RP (and I notice the viewfinder sensor is on the right instead of the bottom - as an RP user, this is an inferior position). Strange design choice if it's true. Or perhaps this is meant to be the APS-C version of the R and RP release where Canon is testing the waters before they come out with the "real" ML legacy camera lines?

The "R10" appears to perhaps be, to some degree, the mirrorless successor of the 90D.

As an M-series user, neither of these bodies interest me, they are larger/heavier than I'm willing to tolerate for an APS-C sensor camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
As an M-series user, neither of these bodies interest me, they are larger/heavier than I'm willing to tolerate for an APS-C sensor camera.
Looking at the size of the R10 lens mount and the body as a whole, the R10 doesn't seem much bigger than my E5, with the exception of depth (front-back). The grip on the R10 must be pretty substantial.

Correction: M5, not R5

Upvote 0
That's what I was hoping for but this seems like a step back. Even my M6 Mark II has three dials.

The dial around the joystick is a nice idea and keeps it near the AF-on button but it's an overall reduction in utility compared to the R6. And with the low-res EVF it seems this is more like a 90D/M6ii replacement than a true APS-C flagship.
I completely agree this definitely feels like a big step backwards. I could get used to the new thumb wheel location. It might even be better in the long run (I doubt it) these people complaining about the Af/Mf switch are missing the forest for the trees imo. Having completely different ergonomics from the r5/6, not having a third dial, Not having a cfexpress card, and Not having a quality EVF are real issues that effectively ruin this camera for me.

Canon could have saved a boatload on R&D by just throwing the 90d sensor in an R6 since they gave us a recycled sensor and processor anyway why not recycle a body that is tried and true as well.

I also really do not understand the inclusion of a D-pad… the multi direction controller (joystick) and touch screen completely negate any need for it. And if canon really thought it was a necessity why not put the thumb wheel around that instead of the joystick

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Isn’t this what mirrorless was supposed to accomplish? Smaller, more efficient, etc?
There were always two camps. I don’t think many Canon and Nikon pro/sumer shooters ever wanted smaller bodies at the expense of ergonomics and battery capacity. Tiny bodies were for casual shooters, until Sony very intentionally made "small, mirrorless, FF" their niche and "big clumsy DSLRs are dinosaurs" their marketing angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well, I'm comparing the viewfinder on my wife's old 90D to the viewfinder on my R5 and the R5 viewfinder seems larger to me. So I was thinking that the 2.36M dots might be spread out over less total area on a crop sensor camera than on a full frame camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
I find it interesting that many who were using pro-body DSLR’s are disappointed and are convinced that it can’t be professional because it isn’t big and clunky and covered in buttons.

Isn’t this what mirrorless was supposed to accomplish? Smaller, more efficient, etc?
I think what’s frustrating is that the ergonomics have changed again so users will have to learn a whole new body system. With the 7D series the ergonomics were similar to the 5D series, which was similar to the R5 and R6. You could switch back and forth without thinking. I fear this new design adds another hurdle in a professional workflow. Of course none of us have handled it so the fear and uncertainty may all be for nothing.

If anyone is debating whether the camera can be used in a professional environment, I certainly think it can be; I used an M50 professionally alongside my other gear for a few years. Especially with 32 MP, high flash shutter sync speed, high frame rate, and presumably great autofocus.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
I have a Canon EOS R and a R5 C and I'm a video first guy. Should I get a Canon R6 to use the same battery grip and smallrig cage as the R5 C or should I go with the R7? Something tells me the R6 is a better option even for video, but that "recording no limit" and possibly no overheating is interesting. I still think the Canon R6 is a better option to optimise the grip and cage/similar ergonomics.
I'd go for the R7 in a heartbeat, unless there are significant 'gotchas' on it (remains to be seen, but I doubt it), or you really, really need to have two bodies as similar as possible (and then, maybe you should consider a regular R5). The R6 is too compromised for serious video, it's at best a B-roll camera, and depending on your type of work might not be able to sub in for the A-camera if needed.

Upvote 0