Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

Sep 10, 2016
I am reading a lot about an assortment of various R and M series cameras supposedly coming out in 2020, but except for the R5 and possibly R6, I see little information or proposed release dates. The R6 is supposed to come out in May 2020, however I have not seen any images of this phantom model. I think that Canon should focus on what they can realistically offer the public in 2020 before they start talking about 2021. I realize that the world has changed in only a few months due to the virus. Maybe Canon and others should just shelve the idea of releasing cameras this year altogether. Its not like people really need these cameras and since travel has been curtailed, not a lot of travel photography will probably happen until 2021 anyway. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I am reading a lot about an assortment of various R and M series cameras supposedly coming out in 2020, but except for the R5 and possibly R6, I see little information or proposed release dates. The R6 is supposed to come out in May 2020, however I have not seen any images of this phantom model. I think that Canon should focus on what they can realistically offer the public in 2020 before they start talking about 2021. I realize that the world has changed in only a few months due to the virus. Maybe Canon and others should just shelve the idea of releasing cameras this year altogether. Its not like people really need these cameras and since travel has been curtailed, not a lot of travel photography will probably happen until 2021 anyway. Just my opinion.
Wow, how would you know what people need? ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
No one mentioning a mirrorless version of the 7D. Why not? I've got to think there's a market for a very high frame rate mirrorless, even with a cropped sensor.
I don't believe they will ever come out with RF-S type cropped sensor lenses. At the time, full frame sensors were very expensive to manufacture so it made sense to have another type of more affordable camera lens combo.

With the current contraction in the camera market (even prior to Covid), it makes little sense to come out with yet another lens line. EOS-M will be the mirrorless crop camera from Canon going forward.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
And honestly, Canon closed the DR gap sufficiently with the 5D4 sensor. I will always take more DR (please!) but at this point the ~half stop advantage at base ISOs is going to be less important than the rest of the camera's features. This whole "canon DR sucks" thing is a hold over from the 5D3 (and, lol, my 60D which was banding city even at a 2 stop push).
And for me personally I almost never shoot without off camera strobes even outdoors so DR isn’t an issue for the way I work anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I don't believe they will ever come out with RF-S type cropped sensor lenses. At the time, full frame sensors were very expensive to manufacture so it made sense to have another type of more affordable camera lens combo.

With the current contraction in the camera market (even prior to Covid), it makes little sense to come out with yet another lens line. EOS-M will be the mirrorless crop camera from Canon going forward.
With the EF-RF adapter, is there any reason the existing EF-S lenses (eg. 10-22m, 18-135mm) couldn’t be used on a crop-sensor R body? I can use both of these EF-S lenses , with the adapter, on my RP body. I would think the same would apply for use with a crop sensor R-mount body that could be equivalent to a 7D3. Use the M6II sensor. Canon would not have to commit to special crop lenses on a crop R body. Seems like most people here really want a crop R body for the extra reach with telephoto EF or RF glass. Nevertheless, Canon my be finished with crop sensor bodies outside the EOS-M lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
With the EF-RF adapter, is there any reason the existing EF-S lenses (eg. 10-22m, 18-135mm) couldn’t be used on a crop-sensor R body? I can use both of these EF-S lenses , with the adapter, on my RP body. I would think the same would apply for use with a crop sensor R-mount body that could be equivalent to a 7D3. Canon would not have to commit to special crop lenses on a crop R body. Seems like most people here really want a crop R body for the extra reach with telephoto EF or RF glass. Nevertheless, Canon my be finished with crop sensor bodies outside the EOS-M lineup.
I believe Canon would like to whittle down the number of mounts from four to two in the next few years - RF and M for their ILCs.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
With the EF-RF adapter, is there any reason the existing EF-S lenses (eg. 10-22m, 18-135mm) couldn’t be used on a crop-sensor R body?
Yes, and the reason is the lack of a crop-sensor R body.

Canon would not have to commit to special crop lenses on a crop R body.
Canon does not have to commit to a crop R body as well, if those lenses still work on a FF R body in the crop mode.

Upvote 0

Ruiloba

80D + R5
Feb 13, 2020
Spain
I think the specs on the R5 are already a dream for wildlife photographers. I am certainly planning to buy it and use it for that. What more are you seeking for a wildlife rig?

High detail even in high iso where most of the wildlifer's strugle (like from 1600 and above) wich comes with less megapixels sensor as the 1dx does. Mpx also deals with us as we usually try to burst a bird in flight (for example) and this means a lot of photos wich traduces into a lot of GB and PC load times, needs for bigger storage in the PC and bigger cards for the camera .. Less megapixels also helps with the buffer.. And probably helps also to better fps on the viewfinder for better tracking.

More robust body to compensate the weight of long lenses. Bigger battery with more volts for faster focusing.... It involves a lot of things..

Oh god and please! Better frame rate when the flash/trigger is connected! Also the ability to shot in silent shutter with flash/trigger

Im sure im skipping some things but that ones comes to my mind right now..

Btw : we are still waiting for those big whites on Rf and the 2x and 1.4x teleconverters. The Rf 100-500 at 7.1 is so limited

R5 bigger pro's are that those who crop their photos (i try to avoid..) have more room and also the inbody 1.6x gives you a nice 18mpx for those who need extra reach and dont crop or cant crop (like for contest)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
You would have to Assume an R1 and a hi res R5. I think the RP remains as a decent entry level RF body for now and does not need to be given an immediate facelift. Or in theory canon may even be able to lower the price of the original R and have that as an entry level model and the R as a bargin basement entry level model. But I still think they need a crop sensor 'R7'. But I get the feeling they have chosen not to go down that path. So I could see the lineup being R1, R5, R5s, R6, Ra, R and/or RP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I think the specs on the R5 are already a dream for wildlife photographers. I am certainly planning to buy it and use it for that. What more are you seeking for a wildlife rig?
It's a build quality thing. There are others as well but an R1 will be a tank. I am sure the R5 will be tough but it wont be as tough.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I love these threads. It's like telling a six-year-old that Santa is going to bring him something special. All of a sudden wishes go wild. Then when the actual present arrives, we will get a bunch of people whining about how Canon didn't give them what they wanted.

Once the R5 and R6 are announced, we will have a much better idea of where the holes in the lineup might be. Looking at the rumored specs for the R5 and R6, it doesn't appear that either one really works as a replacement for the RP or the R.

If they don't keep the R and RP in the lineup, then it seems logical that the new bodies will be designed to fill the price points that these cameras currently meet. Forum dwellers get caught up in specs, but Canon is more interested in hitting specific price points.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0