A Prototype Full Frame Mirrorless From Canon Exists [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
It has to have an SLR hump. All real cameras have an SLR hump. Just look at the iPad camera... ;)

that notion seems to be a thing with japanese camera makers mainly ... and n00b camera buyers ... or rather: the non-camera-buying selfie masses ... :p

Exactly. Most people know a ‘real camera’ when they see one. :p

On a serious note, the hump does add a little bit of height when using an external flash, and every little bit of extra height helps get the light further off-axis to reduce red-eye. Having said that, I’d prefer a humpless Canon FF MILC (the smaller size is one main reason I went with the humpless EOS M6 over the M5).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Dvash7 said:
Can someone please explain what is the problem/difficulty in just putting an EF mount on a mirrorless camera?
I would really just like a mirrorless camera with an EF mount to accommodate my existing glass.
Is this a possibility or are there real issues before such a thing happens, if at all?

There is no techincal reason for not using the standard EF mount on a FF MILC. The consequence would be a camera that is thicker/deeper than it could be if a new, shorter flance focal distance mount was used (note that the whole camera would not have to be thicker, the mount could be a ‘snout’ like the Sigma Quattro, and that snout would not protrude further than an ergonomic hand grip).

Obvoiusly, there are plusses to a new mount – smaller body size, smaller lenses in some cases (typically slower lenses in wide/normal focal lengths). There are also minuses – need to use an adapter for EF lenses, those smaller lenses mentioned above are often optically inferior (for example, Leica redsigned the sensor to get around the issue of high incident light angles).

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Sharlin said:
3kramd5 said:
Sharlin said:
1252 said:
I hope the new camera will not have a SLR hump, like Sony cameras!

You mean like the Sony a7 series? Or the a9? ::) ::) ::)

I don’t get the eye roll. Those are certainly the cameras from Sony which 1252 refers to as having an SLR hump.

I read 1252's comment like "I hope the new camera will not have a hump, like Sony cameras don't". Like AvTvM appears to have read, a few comments back. And indeed Sony cameras don't have one if you only count their non-fullframe hobbyist cameras...

Ah. Given the context of the thread (canon full frame mirrorless) I read as “I hope they don’t do it like the Sony full frame mirrorless cameras” [all of which have a hump where the EVF display and optics are housed].

Carry on!

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
neuroanatomist said:
smaller lenses in some cases (typically slower lenses in wide/normal focal lengths). ... those smaller lenses mentioned above are often optically inferior

But they don't have to be inferior. I know I keep saying this, but you keep repeating this line about these lenses being optically inferior and every single time you do I'm going to repeat "Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 and Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8".

There is NOTHING inferior about these lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jolyonralph said:
neuroanatomist said:
smaller lenses in some cases (typically slower lenses in wide/normal focal lengths). ... those smaller lenses mentioned above are often optically inferior

But they don't have to be inferior. I know I keep saying this, but you keep repeating this line about these lenses being optically inferior and every single time you do I'm going to repeat "Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8 and Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8".

There is NOTHING inferior about these lenses.

“Are often inferior,” ≠ “Have to be inferior.”

Also, since you are going to repeat yourself, so will I...

neuroanatomist said:
jolyonralph said:
Show me a lens with the quality and compactness of the Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 on the EF mount please.

The Sony FE 55/1.8 is about the same size and weight as the Canon 50/1.4 (the Sony is skinnier and longer, volumes are approximately the same, only 10g difference in weight), and the Canon is 2/3-stop faster. I have no doubt that if Canon wanted to design a $1000 50mm f/1.8, it could easily be the same quality and compactness of the Sony 55/1.8. In other words, there’s nothing about the FE 55/1.8 lens that’s unique to it being designed for a MILC.

If you prefer actual to theoretical, consider the Zeiss ZE 50mm f/1.4 for the EF mount. It is 2mm larger in diameter and 1mm shorter than the Sony FE 55/1.8, which I’d call similar compactness. Simliar IQ if you compare the two lenses at f/1.8.

Thanks for playing!

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
Maybe this is HarryFilm's mythical Canon MFD with all-new lens mount. :)

===

I doubt it...The thing I saw was MUCH BIGGER
than a 1DxMk2 with a lens mount nearly the size of an
Arri Alexa-65 mount in my opinion and that was based
upon a hasty measurement using comparisons to hand
size and common on-table items.

AND it had actual Canon markings and branding that indicated
to me full-on, near-ready-for-market program development.

The thing I saw LOOKED LIKE A 1DxMk2 but bigger so it
is geared obviously for the PRO-level and at a quoted price
point of 16 000 Euros ($20,000+ US) I suspect Canon wants
Hasselblad's and Leica's market!

Anyways, I still get bits and pieces form multiple online sources that say
sometime likely in 2018/2019 we will at least get an announcement!
And YES! I still get those same sources saying this is a 50 megapixel
16-bits per colour channel 4:4:4 RAW MF large-sensor camera at 25 FPS
burst rate for 3 to 4 seconds to internal SSD flash hard drives!

---

The full-frame mirrorless camera that is being espoused here,
I would not be surprised to be set as a replacement for the
1Dc series which was the video-specific version of the 1Dx series.
I would also not be surprised to see a built-in on-body diopter-like
adapter mount that takes NORMAL EF series lenses so you
can continue to buy normal canon L-series lenses!
I bet you TWO double-chocolate doughnuts that
this will be announced in August!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
HarryFilm said:

I would estimate the likelyhood of a FF MILC 1Dc replacement being announced in August as

img-thing
img-thing
708497_mathematics_512x512.png

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I would estimate the likelihood of a FF MILC 1Dc replacement being announced in August as

img-thing
img-thing

---

In the back of my mind, I kinda agree with you that a 1Dc replacement is a bit of wishful thinking BUT like I said earlier it would NOT surprise me! I actually think the M5 is what needs complete replacing at its price point with a FF sensor.

And while you relish disparaging my comments on a large sensor MF, the "Chatter" on the engineering boards I check up on AND based upon some component-sourcing websites I also checkup up on, indicates to me that Canon is actually PREPPING the manufacture of a large sensor body for my-guess within 18 month introduction!

I've even heard nebulous "Chatter" that at least one high level medium format pro-photog has one in his or her hot hands right now and that the 25 fps burst speed at 50 megapixels 16-bits per channel 4:4:4 RAW is confirmed by another set of 3rd party persons who say they have also seen the Canon MF camera up-close saying it is "Right There" in terms of being ready for market!

Upvote 0
Talys said:
I have an A7RIII at the moment, and an adapted 100-400LII (as well as the native GMaster 100-400 lens).

On the telephoto end, the 100-400LII is about as awesome as autofocusing a Nikon D850 at 400mm f/5.6 in live view mode. It's god-awful slow in comparison to a 6DII or a native lens, half the time it hunts forever, and many of the advanced AF modes are just plain disabled. And good luck trying to shoot stuff moving either towards or away from you, because that 10 fps? You'll be lucky if you get 2 shots out of 10 that aren't blurry.

Frankly, I think it's unusable if your subject is moving faster than a turtle on pot.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. I use my Canon 100-400 II on Sony a6500 mostly for bird photography, where I have, at most, seconds to get the shot. I use the Sigma MC-11 adapter with the firmware upgrade and my Canon 100-400 II snaps into focus, as to all my other Canon lenses. Maybe you are using the Metabones adapter or need to update your MC-11 firmware.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
KirkD said:
Talys said:
I have an A7RIII at the moment, and an adapted 100-400LII (as well as the native GMaster 100-400 lens).

On the telephoto end, the 100-400LII is about as awesome as autofocusing a Nikon D850 at 400mm f/5.6 in live view mode. It's god-awful slow in comparison to a 6DII or a native lens, half the time it hunts forever, and many of the advanced AF modes are just plain disabled. And good luck trying to shoot stuff moving either towards or away from you, because that 10 fps? You'll be lucky if you get 2 shots out of 10 that aren't blurry.

Frankly, I think it's unusable if your subject is moving faster than a turtle on pot.

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. I use my Canon 100-400 II on Sony a6500 mostly for bird photography, where I have, at most, seconds to get the shot. I use the Sigma MC-11 adapter with the firmware upgrade and my Canon 100-400 II snaps into focus, as to all my other Canon lenses. Maybe you are using the Metabones adapter or need to update your MC-11 firmware.

No problem with the Sony. Must be the flaky Metabones adapter or a Sigma firmware issue. Comforting to know this. Not

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
HarryFilm said:

I would estimate the likelyhood of a FF MILC 1Dc replacement being announced in August as

img-thing
img-thing

Sometimes I think you have too much free time on your hands. Perhaps you could have found cures for various dread diseases by now if you'd walked away from camera message boards. I know, you do basic science, not drug development; but with all the free time, you could do both! :p :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Orangutan said:
neuroanatomist said:
HarryFilm said:

img-thing
img-thing

Sometimes I think you have too much free time on your hands. Perhaps you could have found cures for various dread diseases by now if you'd walked away from camera message boards. I know, you do basic science, not drug development; but with all the free time, you could do both! :p :)

In fact, I do both. I have been involved in taking several molecules from bench research to commercial launch, including a blockbuster immuno-oncology drug (if you're in the US and watch any TV, you've most likely seen ads for it). Currently, my team has a molecule starting Phase 3 in a rare neuromuscular disease.

But on the flip side, I am good at multitasking and I only need 4-5 hours of sleep per night.

And c'mon, a donut wager and a 0% chance – who could pass that up? ;)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Orangutan said:
neuroanatomist said:
HarryFilm said:

img-thing
img-thing

In fact, I do both. I have been involved in taking several molecules from bench research to commercial launch, including a blockbuster immuno-oncology drug (if you're in the US and watch any TV, you've most likely seen ads for it). Currently, my team has a molecule starting Phase 3 in a rare neuromuscular disease.

But on the flip side, I am good at multitasking and I only need 4-5 hours of sleep per night.

And c'mon, a donut wager and a 0% chance – who could pass that up? ;)

Yer doin' good work, there, so long as people can afford it...but that's not up to you. Really, though, for a few extra mouse clicks, you could have built the % out of 2 more donuts and an eclair.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
neuroanatomist said:
HarryFilm said:

img-thing
img-thing

---

I am assuming by Neuroanatomist, he has something to do with body/brain interaction and my guess does things like nerve conduction studies, diagnoses and/or study of various neuropathies and maybe even study some of the underlying neurogenic or maybe psychosomatic pathologies of Priapism which seems to be endemic around here. Maybe he is just ticked off at all the online research I do here as part of my off-hours. It's like.... Oooh Maaaaan! Ya Know!....I do have a day job researching and designing Electro-Plasmadynamic Field Effects Engines for Aerospace vehicles that have Superluminal Flight Envelopes! So it IS my off-time!

Upvote 0