Breaking down the latest Canon gear to appear for certification

If they bring a camera at a lower price point to the R, the internet will freeze over. Canon cannot do such a stupid move. They cannot possibly gimp the R any further. A lot of people are waiting for the R to drop to 1800 (1400 refurb) which is what it's worth. Lower model will keep the R price high.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I could say that about the APS-C sensor. It has no reason to exist in my world. It's a weird non-industry standard 1.6x crop. Could have at least been 1.5x. Give me the best all-round sensor in the APS-H size any day thank you. Worst mistake Canon made was removing it as a 1 series sensor. 1DX are far too low in pixel density. By now we could have had a 1DVI with 24-28MP APS-H sensor which I'd take in a heartbeat over a 1DXII or the 7DII. It might not matter if they had of released a 1 series FF with decent pixel count, but 20MP is crap.

With APS-C they have APS-C specific lenses to give a smaller package. Whether you use it is irrelevant.
You seem to be saying that if Canon's APS-C had been 1.5 it would have been good? Otherwise I am not sure why you reference the sensor size.

The 20MP is a compromise of processing speed and IQ: the A9 is only 24MP and that was with a newer camera and better processing capacity. The difference between 20 and 24 MP is minimal - so I suppose you are saying the A9 is 'crap' as well?

Upvote 0
Can your massive 7DII change DOF in camera after the fact? I don't think so. iPhone does. Imagine that. Don't worry, us real (full frame) shooters can't manage that yet either. I usually close down the aperture or shoot wide if I want deep focus. I guess that's the beauty of full frame sensors, you really can control the DOF (though not as much as iPhone can) ;)

Upvote 0
Perhaps you missed the smiley faces and the fact that I said, "Of course, I understand the advantages of FF, and am interested in the new R system."

I sometimes think people ignore what people actually say in their posts just so they can be argumentative.

I saw them. Then you made a statement that I was also posting to that you didn’t end with smilies.

Upvote 0
The 1.3 crop APS-H offered no advantages as far as I could tell other than a stop gap on the way to the first FF bodies - all lenses are EF so designed for FF sensors so there is no saving on APS-H specific lenses. Pixel density on the 7D2 and the 5DSR is the same and it is that that determines 'reach' (god, how I hate that word in this context) so beloved of wildlifers not sensor size.
It won't come back because there is no reason for it to exist.

The H sensors allowed Canon to come up with sports cameras that were much faster than the FF models that Canon also had, while giving better IQ than their aps-c models. It was an interesting size. It gave sports and wildlife guys the ability to have their lenses seem longer too.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The H sensors allowed Canon to come up with sports cameras that were much faster than the FF models that Canon also had, while giving better IQ than their aps-c models. It was an interesting size. It gave sports and wildlife guys the ability to have their lenses seem longer too.

And yet the 1Ds3 with is APS-H sensor had 5fps while the 1D3 with its FF sensor (and released about the same time) had 10FPS.
The APS-H were a legacy of the transition from film to APS-C to APS-H to FF, there were not created so as to give any sort of reach or speed advantage.
Canon dleted the APS-H for a very good reason: it simplified their manufacturing line-up and they likely canvassed a lot of pros as to whether they needed APS-H. Don't forget that pros (unlike a lot of weekend wannabes, myself included) try not to rely on cropping - they aim to get as close as possible and large in the frame as possible. Canon uses that as a guide for their gear line-up not people who use gear to make up for deficiencies in technique.

Upvote 0
And yet the 1Ds3 with is APS-H sensor had 5fps while the 1D3 with its FF sensor (and released about the same time) had 10FPS.
The APS-H were a legacy of the transition from film to APS-C to APS-H to FF, there were not created so as to give any sort of reach or speed advantage.
Canon dleted the APS-H for a very good reason: it simplified their manufacturing line-up and they likely canvassed a lot of pros as to whether they needed APS-H. Don't forget that pros (unlike a lot of weekend wannabes, myself included) try not to rely on cropping - they aim to get as close as possible and large in the frame as possible. Canon uses that as a guide for their gear line-up not people who use gear to make up for deficiencies in technique.

You are in error, the 1Ds3 is FF and 5 fps, the 1D3 is APS-H and 10fps. I had the 50d and 7d, today I have the 1D3, never I will return to APS-C. I do not find the sense.

PD: excuse my English, I hope you understand

Upvote 0
canon playing their games as usual:
"Battery level indication is displayed in 4 increments" widely acclaimed by the masses.

Next feature in 5 years from now will be:
"0-100% battery indication" like a mobil phone, and when that happen, their will remove FHD @ 60fps and will give you HD only @30fps max. ;), but will give you GPS and NFC and WIFI, and etc.
Sorry, but it is funny how predictable canon has been historically.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
One thing which I've noticed: so far every camera with Digic 8 has had UHD 4k MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 recording.

So maybe the lower-end EOS R with a sensor similar to the 6D Mark II will also get it.
Probably 1.6x crop factor and IPB compression only, it may only support UHS-I, since this way it should be fine with that.
I'm pretty sure that disabling the DPAF in 4k like the M50 wouldn't get a warm welcome, but maybe they will want to keep it at a distance away from the EOS R...?

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Maybe we're not as far out from the next FF mirrorless as we think as we think!

They probably want the more expensive first model to fill the stocks first, before releasing the next one, possibly Q1 2019, the entry level FF was always coming last (and Sony did the same with the A7RIII before the A7III)

Upvote 0
They probably want the more expensive first model to fill the stocks first, before releasing the next one, possibly Q1 2019, the entry level FF was always coming last (and Sony did the same with the A7RIII before the A7III)

I'm sure there are plenty of justification for them to do whatever they do. They can release the lesser model first to get feed back while working out some problems (IBIS, continuous eyeAF FW, etc) before they release it. It could also a marketing tactics since they are not ready to have it cannibalize their DSLR sale or wait until it's ready to release along side with 5D V DSLR equivalent. WHo knows.

Also just because Sony or another manufacture did something doesn't mean Canon will. Canon still haven't give AF protocol to third manufactures or give Full Frame 4K.

I wouldn't be surprised if their 26MPx to be high speed professional camera and release it Q1 2019

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's the exact same pixel count as the 6D Mark II, so not very likely. And things like IBIS, redesigning the body, adding two card slots etc. are farther away when there are more lenses available.

It amazes me how pixel count alone can be enough to predict all the other features of a sensor and a camera.

So I suppose the Sony a7 and a9 are similar because they have the same pixel count?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It amazes me how pixel count alone can be enough to predict all the other features of a sensor and a camera.

So I suppose the Sony a7 and a9 are similar because they have the same pixel count?
Of course not, you just need to check the earlier rumors, before it was announced. The 30.4 megapixel one was rumored to be the higher-end model of the two, so there can be a pretty good idea about what the lower-end model is going to be like...

Upvote 0
No offence intended, but this is the usual BS reply from a troll. Hope you're not one.

P.S. Almost everyone who has a 6D II loves it. Their opinions count more than the internet trolls who only look at specs.
No offense intended, but the 6D2 should be burned in effigy in front of Canon HQ. It was a shameful moment that proves they have very little desire to be truly competitive at that price range, a price range where in this day and age a paid professional can find multiple other options to rely on for their work.

Canon needs to get over their status/classification business tactics, and stop reserving so many features for their >$3K class cameras. The EOS R proves that while Canon still knows how to design great cameras and come up with cool new features, they're at serious risk of being ignored completely by those who are locked into the ~$2K price range and unable to bump up to >$3K.

For every happy 6D2 owner you've met, I've probably met 1-2 who gave up and went with a D750 or A7iii...

Upvote 0
waiting for a mirrorless camera worth attaching the RF 50mm f1.2 and RF 28-70mm F2.0 too.

will not buy the 28-70mm but i sure be interested in the 50mm f1.2.

and i want to use that adapter with the ND filter with my TS-E 17mm.

but not on the EOS R or a 26MP body.

something fast and around 40-45MP... until then i stick to my trusty 5D MK4
The 50 RF is incredible. It absolutely blows the EF 50 1.2 out of the water, for both sharpness and AF speed+reliability. I've used it on the EOS R at two weddings so far, and found it to be the most reliable prime I've ever used on a wedding dance floor, by a long shot.

As a wedding photographer, I'm definitely very excited for the >$3K version of this camera; hopefully they don't just go straight to 50+ MP though, unless the mRAW quality is flawless. I'd much rather see them adopt the same tactic as Nikon and Sony, and debut two identical bodies with different mid-res and high-res sensors.

Upvote 0
Of course not, you just need to check the earlier rumors, before it was announced. The 30.4 megapixel one was rumored to be the higher-end model of the two, so there can be a pretty good idea about what the lower-end model is going to be like...

Rumors are rumors, but I don't remember any rumor that suggested that the first FF mirrorless would be a higher end model, and there have been many arguments advanced that the R will be followed by a higher end model in the next year or so.

See the original post of this thread "So expect this to be a higher-end EOS R mirrorless camera. *update – I didn’t want to mention it (but it has been on the forum), but we don’t think an EOS R launching with the EOS 6D Mark II sensor and no 4K would be received all that well."

Beyond rumors of pixel count, there are plenty of other pointers suggesting that the R is a lower-end initial foray, among them being the introductory price, 6D features such as the single card slot, relatively modest frame rates etc. But the strongest suggestion of all is that two absolutely top of the range lenses have been introduced with the R, and strong rumors are that f2.8 zooms are coming. These are obviously destined to be mounted on a larger, faster, more "pro" body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0