Canon EOS 70D Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
Is AFMA even necessary with the new focusing system? I'm just wondering. I got the impression that since the sensor itself is confirming the focus, adjustments might be less important.

No, AFMA isn't necessary for the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, nor is it necessary for the Hybrid CMOS AF or good ol' Live View contrast detect AF. But remember that those AF modes which use the CMOS image sensor only operate with the mirror up - not through an optical viewfinder. The 70D has the 19-pt AF sensor (from the 7D) that's used when looking through the VF, and that requires AFMA just the same as any other standard phase detect AF system.

That standard phase detect AF is still the go-to with fast moving subjects, and holding a heavy camera + lens out in front of you for Live View composition isn't always easy - the VF is there for a reason.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:
Is AFMA even necessary with the new focusing system? I'm just wondering. I got the impression that since the sensor itself is confirming the focus, adjustments might be less important.

No, AFMA isn't necessary for the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, nor is it necessary for the Hybrid CMOS AF or good ol' Live View contrast detect AF. But remember that those AF modes which use the CMOS image sensor only operate with the mirror up - not through an optical viewfinder. The 70D has the 19-pt AF sensor (from the 7D) that's used when looking through the VF, and that requires AFMA just the same as any other standard phase detect AF system.

That standard phase detect AF is still the go-to with fast moving subjects, and holding a heavy camera + lens out in front of you for Live View composition isn't always easy - the VF is there for a reason.

Thanks. That's about what I expected.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

This is why I have a hard time believing that the optical viewfinder will ever be rendered completely obsolete- mirrorless cameras certainly are more compact but as you say, for action, framing in bright daylight, and hand holding large lenses, the viewfinder is still the way to go. There is just something about the SLR with grip that feels much more natural to me than using a compact with the screen to compose.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
A big deal being made about this new live view focus thing...what I'm interested in is how good the servo mode is. Will this make a good sports camera? Sometimes the reach of 1.6x really comes in handy in those cases. The 60D was competent but hardly impressive. I'm hoping the 70D is a significant improvement in this regard, offering customizability, etc.

Upvote 0
seasamshoot said:
verysimplejason said:
Tiedtke said:
I'm a videographer, but I'm thinking about switching from my 5D Mark II to the 70D if the noise isn't too bad. The main reasons is that the 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, which is the same as the 5D3 if I'm not mistaken, right? If the magic lantern team manage to hack the 70D, which I'm sure they are, that could enable 1080p RAW video recording. Also that AF in video recording looks quite handy when its hard to focus manually. Lastly, its a generally better camera, functions wise, than the 5D2, which only has the fullframeness to brag about, which although is really nice, but I could give that up for generally better specs and that lovely processor. :3

ML hack would require CF card. 70D seems to have SD card only so no, there would be no 1080 raw video for 70D.

ML made a hack for the 6D which is also SD card so Im not sure where you are getting your information.

Not to mention they have stable versions available for the 50D, 60D, 500D, 550D, and 600D; and Alpha versions for the EOS-M and 1100D which, correct me if I'm wrong, all use SD. IMO, this will make a phenomenal video/stills camera hybrid for consumers/prosumers getting into the field, with downsides being no 60p or headphone jack.

Depending on its ISO performance, this little guy will make for a great backup crop body to my 6D for its speedier AF system, video features (hopefully significantly less moire/aliasing), and of course 1.6x crop factor!

Has anyone seen any 6400+ ISO samples and/or any mention of its noise performance? In a few of the pre-production reviews, they mention it is equal to or better than the 60D/7D, but that's not saying much :-\

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Act444 said:
A big deal being made about this new live view focus thing...what I'm interested in is how good the servo mode is. Will this make a good sports camera? Sometimes the reach of 1.6x really comes in handy in those cases. The 60D was competent but hardly impressive. I'm hoping the 70D is a significant improvement in this regard, offering customizability, etc.

Well, it has the 7D's AF sensor - I'd expect AI Servo performance on par with the 7D, i.e. very good.

AcutancePhotography said:
"Experimenting with creative off-camera flash is easy, thanks to the Integrated Speedlite transmitter, which provides in-camera control of multiple Canon Speedlite EX flash units."

I wished Canon would put that functionality on the 6D :(

It needs a popup flash.

TheBadger said:
No mention of a better image quality? All the talk is surrounding the autofocus.

I think Canon likes to limit us to one 'groundbreaking innovation' at a time... :-X

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
With even Canon not claiming IQ/ISO RAW performance improvement over 60D, with the "breakthroughs" all seeming to benefit the movie/live-view shooters, I'm not really seeing compelling reasons for stills shooters to upgrade to 70D from previous crop bodies. If the 70D achieved real dynamic range improvements, that may change things, but if so, one would think Canon should be advertising that in a big way..

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AcutancePhotography said:
"Experimenting with creative off-camera flash is easy, thanks to the Integrated Speedlite transmitter, which provides in-camera control of multiple Canon Speedlite EX flash units."

I wished Canon would put that functionality on the 6D :(

It needs a popup flash.

I always get confused when I read "wireless". To me that means RF, but to Canon that means optical link (smacking head)

Upvote 0

Jules

Sunset Lover
Dec 1, 2011
Paris
Well as others pointed out, some ergonomics are regressing / not moving my way (from 40D) and for some they are more looking the xxxD/"Rebel way" (Rebel is not that negative, i had great times with my Rebel2000 ...) than the old intermediate xxD:
- only 1 custom mode (I like my 3 modes, with slow night mode landscape timer / low light inside / and BIF on C3)
- top left dial fully rotating : i liked to have BIF at C3 end of rotation like couple of you ...
- top right buttons : missing the flash exposure adjustment ... using flash fill quite a bit, and i like to be able to finetune it quickly on the spot ...
- no joystick on the back (when i play around with my previous 400D now in my goddaughter hand, i really miss the full joystick of 40D) : seem to be xD only now (7D, 5DIII...)
- banana slim remote trigger from Rebel line, cannot use my cool trigger/intervalometer from 40D (triggers are split as slim plug = Rebel, 60D, 70D // larger one = xxD up to 50D, xD)
- SD (but after recent trends i was expecting it ... CF only left on xD)

Other than that, probably great IQ (who knows with smaller photosites due to increased pix count and the division in 2) but until i test it or see it tested throughfully, right now only thing easy to see is ergonomics :)

Upvote 0
RGomezPhotos said:
Pretty darn nice camera! I like it. However, if it has a smaller body than the 60D, I really consider the camera a Super Rebel. The inclusion of SD card, lack of headphone jack and non-replaceable focus screen keep it at a Rebel level. This camera is not on the same level as the 50D.

So you are saying every Canon DSLR is either a Rebel (or Super Rebel) or a 1DX? Canon has a full range of DSLR bodies, why can't we just call the 70D the latest XXD body?

Seems like a very nice camera to me. Probably not something I'll buy, but great for a sports/action shooter who doesn't want to spend $3,500 for a 5D3. Also a great option for videographers.

As others have pointed out, it seems to be better than the 7D in almost every aspect, so it will effectively kill new 7D sales and cause used 7D prices to drop dramatically. Looks like I waited too long to sell my 7D...

Upvote 0
Jules said:
- banana slim remote trigger from Rebel line, cannot use my cool trigger/intervalometer from 40D (triggers are split as slim plug = Rebel, 60D, 70D // larger one = xxD up to 50D, xD)

Since it has wi-fi, what about triggering it wirelessly? Somebody with the 6D can already answer this question. Maybe one can program an intervalometer on his phone (and then, of course, there's ML ;-) )

Upvote 0
bleephotography said:
seasamshoot said:
verysimplejason said:
Tiedtke said:
I'm a videographer, but I'm thinking about switching from my 5D Mark II to the 70D if the noise isn't too bad. The main reasons is that the 70D has a Digic 5+ processor, which is the same as the 5D3 if I'm not mistaken, right? If the magic lantern team manage to hack the 70D, which I'm sure they are, that could enable 1080p RAW video recording. Also that AF in video recording looks quite handy when its hard to focus manually. Lastly, its a generally better camera, functions wise, than the 5D2, which only has the fullframeness to brag about, which although is really nice, but I could give that up for generally better specs and that lovely processor. :3

ML hack would require CF card. 70D seems to have SD card only so no, there would be no 1080 raw video for 70D.

ML made a hack for the 6D which is also SD card so Im not sure where you are getting your information.

Not to mention they have stable versions available for the 50D, 60D, 500D, 550D, and 600D; and Alpha versions for the EOS-M and 1100D which, correct me if I'm wrong, all use SD. IMO, this will make a phenomenal video/stills camera hybrid for consumers/prosumers getting into the field, with downsides being no 60p or headphone jack.

Depending on its ISO performance, this little guy will make for a great backup crop body to my 6D for its speedier AF system, video features (hopefully significantly less moire/aliasing), and of course 1.6x crop factor!

Has anyone seen any 6400+ ISO samples and/or any mention of its noise performance? In a few of the pre-production reviews, they mention it is equal to or better than the 60D/7D, but that's not saying much :-\

Wrong on the 50D, It uses CF cards. Right on the rest of them.

Upvote 0
I rather like the 70D, it's price and it's features. I don't plan on ordering one but if these are the "upgrades" and the price is right the 7D2 should be nice.

If all the online experts are correct the inferior 7D2 crop should cost less than the much better full frame 6D. And look how the price on that has dropped since introduction.

Upvote 0
alfredo said:
Jules said:

Since it has wi-fi, what about triggering it wirelessly? Somebody with the 6D can already answer this question. Maybe one can program an intervalometer on his phone (and then, of course, there's ML ;-) )

Both the 6D and 70D can indeed be triggered by iOS and Android mobile devices, although the current Canon EOS Remote app does not support intervalometer functionality at this time.

Jim K said:
bleephotography said:
seasamshoot said:
verysimplejason said:
Tiedtke said:

Wrong on the 50D, It uses CF cards. Right on the rest of them.

Thanks for clarifying ;)

Upvote 0
Looks like a very promising APS-C, clearly to me the baseline of future cameras to come and probably the first signs of a highly capable (pro level) mirrorless not that far into the future, accounting for the obvious improvements there will be to this tech wrt AF speed and framerate.

Which makes me wonder...while not performing AF function, what are those extra 20M pixels doing??? seems like an awful lot of sensor real state to waste isn't it? What if those pixels are actually put to contribute to IQ when the picture is grabbed? how about some interpolation / oversampling to tremendously improve high ISO performance....

Just wondering and dreaming... ::)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.