Canon EOS-b Images Leak & a New Kit Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
hybrid CMOS AF II was a wider area

I think this is the chip that's going to be going into the EOS-M v2 as well, provided it improves the AF performance significantly. I think this is basically an EOS-M size, but adding the mirror box and phase-detect AF and keeping it as small as possible.

Upvote 0
tnargs said:
The weight is in the panasonic G3 class - amazing. And the lens mount looks h-u-g-e!

Yeah, here's a comparison to the other smallest Rebels of the past (XTi and XS), sorry I was too lazy to resize the pictures:

'EOS-b'
eosb.jpg

XTi
335698538_3cf59027bd.jpg

XS
canon-xs-large.JPG

Just look at the height of the grip, the EOS-b has a grip the same height as the lens mount, the XTi and XS and visually a little taller than the mount.

Or compare it to the largest Rebel yet (T4i, 650D):

'EOS-b'
eosb.jpg

T4i/650D
51VTSwFDMFL._SY300_.jpg

EDIT: On the opposite side of the spectrum, here it is in comparison to the EOS M and EF adapter:

'EOS-b'
eosb.jpg

EOS M with EF adapter
EOS%20M%20BLACK%20FRT%20w%20MOUNT%20ADAPTER%20EF-EOS%20M16by9-580-100.jpg

Upvote 0

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
KyleSTL said:
tnargs said:
The weight is in the panasonic G3 class - amazing. And the lens mount looks h-u-g-e!

Yeah, here's a comparison to the other smallest Rebels of the past (XTi and XS), sorry I was too lazy to resize the pictures:

[...]
EDIT: On the opposite side of the spectrum, here it is in comparison to the EOS M and EF adapter:

[...]

Looks pretty much like an EOS-M with a prism housing - size wise.

Upvote 0

trulandphoto

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
psolberg said:
yet another disappointment from canon. old sensor, order specs, outrageous price. why can't they just accept the future of the sub 1000 camera body is mirror-less. enough with this surplus parts revel crap.

Because it's not solely. Sure, if you don't want to shoot anything that moves. This body might bring all the features of the EOS-M plus phase detect AF when desired with a modest increase in size. I'm going to take a good look at it and I've never considered getting a rebel before.

Upvote 0
Count me amongst those confused by all the hate.

Sure, it's the same old sensor. But it's an SLR body that's probably as small as is physically possible with an EF-S mount. How is that not cool?

I'm sure this will support all the same WiFi stuff as all the other latest models, meaning that this has the potential to be mounted in some really obscure locations and then easily wirelessly controlled, resulting in some really interesting shots. And all those who've chosen APS-C over 135 because of size and weight concerns? This thing is as good as that part of the equation will ever get.

Really, sometimes I think the only thing that'll satisfy the peanut gallery 'round here is if the camera gets delivered by an invisible flying pink unicorn pony -- and one that grants sexual favors, to boot....

b&

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de
For me the idea of a small and lightweight DSLR seems quite attractive. I have used and worked with Sonys NEX-5 and have to say that I really prefer to look through the lens and not on a screen to compose pictures. That is why I am not really interested in the Canon EOS M either.

What is a little disappointing here is at first the sensor which seems to be the same as in the 60D, 600D, 550D and now used for quite some time and also the price point seems to be a little high. Well, the street price can be quite different but I would somehow expect it to be lower then 550D if this is the entry model. After all they called it "B"? Strange naming for sure.

Cheers
Andreas

Upvote 0
So the 6D has a sync speed of 1/180th while this toy camera could go up to 1/200th? If that's true I really don't get what Canon is doing with the specs of their semi-pro/pro cameras…
100-25'600ISO range, 1/4000th max shutter speed, 9 AF point with 1 cross type, SD slot only… actually, is it a 6D in a smaller body at half (or third) of the price because of the APS-C sensor? hahaha I hope not… but seriously, Canon should push out some new lenses (35 1.4 to compete with the new Sigma, 50 1.2 and 1.4, eventually start selling the 200-400…) and flashes (where's the 4xxEX with RT?).
I know Canon sells probably more entry level cameras than pro or semi pro, but seriously… EOS M, EOS1xxxD, EOS 6xxD, EOSxxD and now that? Too much to choose from and people will most likely be lost more than happy :-\

Upvote 0
dkyeah said:
So the 6D has a sync speed of 1/180th while this toy camera could go up to 1/200th? If that's true I really don't get what Canon is doing with the specs of their semi-pro/pro cameras…

The crop cameras have a much smaller sensor so the shutter curtain doesn't have to travel as far. That's why it's easier to make crop cameras with a fast sync speed compared to a full frame.

By the way I have a 6D which I use with off-camera manual flash at 1/200s and it syncs correctly at least 80% of the time.

Upvote 0

trulandphoto

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
TrumpetPower! said:
NormanBates said:
edit: deleted, I got the D3200 weight wrong, this is actually about 15% lighter than a D3200

It's also significantly smaller than the D3200. The D3200 is basically the same size as the T3; the EOS-b is a lot smaller.

Cheers,

b&

I just had a thought. Maybe it's not a "b" at all maybe it's the musical flat symbol. So the new body is a half step lower than an EOS.

Upvote 0
MathieuB said:
Well, keep in mind that lower-end cameras sell a lot more than higher-end cameras and that if you intend to get people to move up to higher-end cameras, it's a lot easier to convince them if they already have one of your cameras (brand loyalty).

This actually makes the most sense to me when I consider other canon customers and the whole business end of things in general. I started with the original rebel, moved to XTi, 40D, 50D, 7D, and am awaiting my 6D evaluation loaner to help me decide - and convince the wife - to buy my first FF, while still looking forward to the 7DII! Everyone starts somewhere and builds from there - or not. I know many people that are quite happy with camera models, and brands(!) that do not meet my own wants/needs, and a quite many of them have lesser specs and price tags than those I favor. Doesn't seem to bother them, they are happy and produce, yes, some beautiful work with these instruments. The thing is, when I see new models appear I always anticipate that much of the nifty new features will find their way to my hoped-for models when they finally debut; a la wifi and gps in the 7DII's rumored specs. In the meantime I have more time to work with my 7 - & 50D models, or quite possibly sell the 50D and buy the 6D in the interim while pining for the 7DII. Choices for everyone. New Beginnings as well...

Upvote 0
maybe they left the "A" because the use of that letter in photographic equipments is trademarked by Sony. So, they chose the next letter b.

Anyway, this thing is small. But, like someone said here, it's not small enough to be pocketed, nor is big enough to be held well. But, this thing is clearly aimed to the first time dslr buyers. And i'm sure, most would fall for the size when compared to other things.

Upvote 0
MathieuB said:
Well, keep in mind that lower-end cameras sell a lot more than higher-end cameras and that if you intend to get people to move up to higher-end cameras, it's a lot easier to convince them if they already have one of your cameras (brand loyalty).

I think the trend has reversed what concerns DSLRs - the movement goes from big to small these days.
High end cameras tend to be tough solid workhorses, but they lack features attractive to average consumer.
Also, due to shorter lifecycle, one might find newer technology in smaller cameras and surpassing IQ in some areas.

Pessimistic, yes, but also realistic I'd say.

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
Count me amongst those confused by all the hate.

Sure, it's the same old sensor. But it's an SLR body that's probably as small as is physically possible with an EF-S mount. How is that not cool?
Really, sometimes I think the only thing that'll satisfy the peanut gallery 'round here is if the camera gets delivered by an invisible flying pink unicorn pony -- and one that grants sexual favors, to boot....

b&
First quote: Exactly! One thing I covet is a small body for walkaround shooting rather than lugging and banging, around my 50 or 7D. If the image quality is there then this could be a fine instrument for spontaneous captures, street shooting and so on.

Second quote: favors... sexual.... UNICORN PONY! Doh!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.