Status
Not open for further replies.
J.R. said:
MarkII said:
AvTvM said:
Free lunch! Free FREE LUNCH!!!
ROFL ... hahaha!!!
I don't understand this comment.

What the metabones adapter does is quite sensible. The image projected by a FF SLR lens covers (for example) 4x the area of a u4/3 sensor. The adapter functions like a reverse-teleconverter, so that the entire FF image is reduced to cover the area of the smaller sensor. By all accounts (e.g. lens rentals) this works extremely well, even with the additional optic elements.

There is no "free-lunch". You are simply using all the light that the lens gathers, rather than throwing it - and the field of view - away.

While I agree in principle, the AF performance using these adapters leaves a lot to be desired. After using one on my friends camera (which was sloooooooow), I couldn't care less what IQ it delivered ... But then maybe I'm spoilt with the AF of the 5d3.

I already have an adapter that allows me to use Canon lenses for my Sony, but it cripples the AF even more... it's called an E-mount-FD adapter ;D

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I would much rather take a Canon 100D instead of any NEX or other mirrorless currently on the market, since it has native and full compatibility with my existing Canon EF- and EF-S glass, supporting all of its functionality

With u4/3 there is also a significant saving in size and weight in the lenses. We recently did a trip with two u4/3 bodies and five lenses that packed in to a bag with similar space and weight to a 5DIII and single 24-105mm zoom. The smaller cameras are also more discrete when street shooting.

Originally we wanted to have EF compatibility to allow the smaller camera to be used as a backup with a FF body. In practise, we now have complete duplicate u4/3 and 5DII/III lens lineups, so we pick a system based on need (size/weight vs DOF and tilt-shift).

AvTvM said:
What I truly want however is a High End FF mirrorless camera with lens mount. Ideally with the Nikon D800 sensor plus Canon UI and a Canon-adapter for Canon EF- glass ... at a price not higher than the D800. :)

Yes.

Upvote 0
baervan said:
I'd love a small camera with EF mount, that would be awesome, but this is not it for me. I have to say that very small DSLR are very ugly, this being the ugliest of all. I'm sure that it has the build quality of a Bic pen. If it had the smooth design of a NEX for example it would totally hit the spot and I think it would sell like crazy..

I'm guessing Canon's view is that they'll target the market that cares more about "style" with the EOS M and the market that just wants a smaller body but the functions of a DSLR with the 100D.

What is I'd say really lacking at the moment is compact lens support for the 100D, add an EF-S version of the 22mm F/2 EF-M and I think your looking at a potentially very popular camera.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
mrsfotografie said:
CanoSony said:
Meanwhile metabones has a. EOS to nex focal reducer to gain a stop of light and make your nex like a 35mm sensor. When will EOS m have this?

Yeah this is so cool it's hard not to want one :D

Although putting extra glass between the sensor and the lens is a bit iffy imho.

That's why someone (PLEASE) needs to start making crop format lenses with that effect designed into the lens. You gain absolutely nothing by using 35mm cropped instead of 50mm on FF. Below a certain point focal length stops affecting price and it's basically all "you get what you pay for", except with a crop sensor you can't use half of the lens.

Upvote 0
baervan said:
I have to say that very small DSLR are very ugly, this being the ugliest of all. I'm sure that it has the build quality of a Bic pen. If it had the smooth design of a NEX for example it would totally hit the spot and I think it would sell like crazy..
The point is exactly that there is an optical viewfinder in there, so you can't design it flat like the sony. Besides which, if you are used to the Canon EOS series, the design seems perfectly intuitive. I fyou want a NEX, just get a NEX, it's a different target audience.

Upvote 0
Kristofgss said:
baervan said:
I have to say that very small DSLR are very ugly, this being the ugliest of all. I'm sure that it has the build quality of a Bic pen. If it had the smooth design of a NEX for example it would totally hit the spot and I think it would sell like crazy..
The point is exactly that there is an optical viewfinder in there, so you can't design it flat like the sony. Besides which, if you are used to the Canon EOS series, the design seems perfectly intuitive. I fyou want a NEX, just get a NEX, it's a different target audience.

Same audience, different application ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.