Here is the Canon EOS R announcement live

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Limited in higher fps pursuits though it may be, the EOS R appears to be a mirrorless 5D4 + a tilty-flippy + a silent shutter + Eye AF for $2400 (body plus vanilla adaptor).

I'll say it. EOS R is going to cut into 5D4 sales. Never thought I'd see Canon undercut a flagship product so aggressively like this. Canon must be making a mint on those lenses once they draw folks in to justify this.

Good on them, and good for us. This camera is going to sell very well.

OK gnight Zzzzz

- A

Me too Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Jack

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The RF 24-105/4 L IS USM has Nano USM, not Ring USM like the EF version.

Apparently this is only USM RF lens claiming Nano USM tonight. The other two just say USM without definition.

Jordan Drake from DPR is at the event and stated that the lenses (plural, presumably all of them) are FBW.

- A

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
You're not alone and for me skipping the 6D2 after selling my 6D it's looking like a great value (I also wanted the flip screen).

Jack

It might sound silly to some, but I'm now seriously contemplating selling my 5D4 right away. I forgot about the dual card system advantage (shows how much I used it). But if my calculations are correct, I might be able to sell/trade the 4 and get the R + control ring adapter and break even.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Limited in higher fps pursuits though it may be, the EOS R appears to be a mirrorless 5D4 + a tilty-flippy + a silent shutter + Eye AF for $2400 (body plus vanilla adaptor).
I'll say it. EOS R is going to cut into 5D4 sales. Never thought I'd see Canon undercut a flagship product so aggressively like this. Canon must be making a mint on those lenses once they draw folks in to justify this.
Good on them, and good for us. This camera is going to sell very well.

Agree with most of your statement. Except: EOS R offers exactly what a 6D III should have been, at 6D III price. It is a Nikon Z6 / A7 III competitor.
Speed/performance is just nowhere near 5D IV.

But ... mirrorfree 5D IV / Nikon Z7 / A7R III / A9 competitor in the works and hopefully coming soon. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Focus by wire is absolutely fine. IF it is implemented really right: 100% responsive, precise/smooth operation. I don't see a reason why it could not also be combined with a [mechanical] "hard stop" at both MFD and infinity. Then it would be truly perfect.

If all new aircraft are FBW, why should 21st century lenses not be? I fully welcome FBW. Actually, I would not even manual focussing capability at all.

FBW just has a bit of a bad rap because of so many (earlier) cr*ppy implementations - eg in compact cameras - with all sorts of lag, "play", coarse, unprecise, wobbly, underpowered operation.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Yep. Don't buy if you need it for video and have really wide lenses while somehow not needing to go really wide.
What? lol.

IF the next higher-end Canon EOS R comes with
* 10 fps with full AF tracking
* IBIS
* 4k/60 and FHD/120
@ 3500 USD ...

THEN ... end of mirrorslapping.
And I might immediately sell my new EOS R to buy it. Hopefully they announce a higher end model before EOS R is on shelves, but I doubt it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
DmUQBL3X0AAYJHs.jpg:large

EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM

Having a focus delimiter implies good things for max magnification, no?

- A
The minimum focus distance is written on the lens, it implies more that it might be a bit slower without it...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
A more comfortable grip
OVF doesn't burn battery like an EVF
Native mounting of EF lenses -- no need to buy an adaptor or new RF lenses
Faster burst (with proper AF working)
Larger buffer
Two cards
Proper control wheel and buttons around the thumb grip

(someone keep typing -- I'm sure I've forgotten stuff)
Startup time 0.1s vs. 0.9s.
OVF as a scope (and in general, we haven't yet seen if the EVF is about as good as the OVF for evaluating the scene in non-WYSIWYG mode)
More information on the top LCD (but it's also about not burning batteries as fast as with back LCD turned on).

Upvote 0
Can you put a RF lens on the ND mount? If not, the EF lenses might have some advantages.
No. Even if they would physically mount (which I doubt they will to avoid people making such errors), the ND adapter would make anything other than macro focus impossible by increasing the back focus distance.

Also, is the 35mm lead screw STM?
Yes. See the third bullet point in Canon’s press release:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0463137161/new-32mm-f1-4-stm-joins-canon-s-ef-m-lens-collection

Upvote 0
A more comfortable grip
OVF doesn't burn battery like an EVF
Native mounting of EF lenses -- no need to buy an adaptor or new RF lenses
Faster burst (with proper AF working)
Larger buffer
Two cards
Proper control wheel and buttons around the thumb grip

(someone keep typing -- I'm sure I've forgotten stuff)

- A

For me, the main reason to choose an EOS R over the 5D4 would be to make use of those new RF mount lenses... Like that new 50mm... ;)

I get the impression that this is how Canon are promoting the EOS R at launch too, as they seemed to have a lot more to say about the RF lens mount and the new glass than the actual camera body.

I note that they are also being careful to send out the message that RF will live alongside EF for the foreseeable future... or at least, until they have an RF mount pro-body and enough long RF glass to change their marketing message.

Upvote 0