New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

yes, it seems Canon is still testing different approaches and final product is still many months out.

if launch were "imminent" (=2018), then at least mount decision (EF only, new "slim" mount only, or both) would have leaked by now. it is such a juicy bit of info that somebody would have broken an nda. :)

Nikon single card slot was juicy too but it wasn't leak until 1-2 days of the announcement. If that was leak, there would be probably little hype around it.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
single or dual card slot is a feature of minor importance to most potential customers. "yes" for pro's, "not really" for vast majority of non-pro buyers. especially when 2 different slots are implemented, with one being slower and putting the brakes on camera performance if a card is in it (that 's why i only put an SD card into my 5D3 in rare situations, where data security/redundancy is more important to
me than speed).

mount decision however directly affects each and every single (potential) customer = a much higher order of magnitude in "juicyness". and also something any credible "rumour source" with any sort of access to camera/prototypes/blueprints/marketing materials would immediately notice. "is the camera body clearly thinner than a DSLR or not" should really not be difficult to notice.

that's why i view any rumor re. "Canon FF mirrorfree" as a clear *CR0* only, if it contains all sorts of "specs", but none on mount/lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Perhaps there is no rumour on the mount because nothing is changing?

there would still be some form of mentioning ... "with EF mount" or "sized like a DSLR" ... the topic is so hot, any credible source would be aware of it.

i find it extremely unlikely that a credible source would have access to the specs in this rumour, including even retail price, but NOT about mount as well or not mention mount.

this rumour is a made-up CR 0.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
there would still be some form of mentioning ... "with EF mount" or "sized like a DSLR" ... the topic is so hot, any credible source would be aware of it.

i find it extremely unlikely that a credible source would have access to the specs in this rumour, including even retail price, but NOT about mount as well or not mention mount.

this rumour is a made-up CR 0.

How do you know the source doesn't know the mount? For example, the source could know but still choose not to divulge that information for some reason even though he/she was willing to pass on other info. Just sayin' :)

Upvote 0