Official release of Nikon D850

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Mikehit said:
RayValdez360 said:
He did say 2021 though..... Basically too little to late to the point that it stays outdated

SO you are saying Nikon will have another D8xx model before 2021?
He criticsed Canon attitude as 'if you are missing focus it is your fault, yet Canon have AFMA in their cmaeras already so clearly they do not think that. And the auto-AFMA Nikon have is well known as unreliable enough to be little more than a gimmick.
He claimed dual pixel is useless - yet every review says it is not.

So even if the Canon stays as it does until 2021 (which was a massive assumption), unless you think Nikon will have a new D8xx body before 2021 the gap will remain what it is now. i.e. not very much.
You know his post was sarcasm or a joke. He is just saying what I said. Canon does too little to improve compared to the competition while not even being up to their standards in features while at the same time they have long periods of time between updates. I honestly use canon for reliability but I would love for them one day to make my life easier with more features like a usable 4k, a high MP camera with modern DR. Maybe an AF assist light so i dont need a flash in low light. 2sd cards or a better format slots because CF is on it's way out the door.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Sorry, English please.

snoke said:
SecureGSM said:
I agree with others who noted that Nikon is going all out on D850 with price set on the verge of desperation.
Survival mode comes to mind. I recon they sell this camera $500 short at the very least. I would say that if it was priced at $3799, it still sells just fine.

How you know desperate?

How everyone know D850 "cheap"?

Canon staff discount is 33%. What 5D4 price look like minus 33%?

If D850 price make 5D4 price lower, who complain? Anyone?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
First, it looks like a great camera. No reason to deny that.

Second, don't assume that Nikon is focused on Canon. They are seriously threatened by Sony and need to protect their Number Two position in the market. That is the most urgent need. If they can cut into Canon sales a little, so much the better. But this is designed to stop Sony from gaining market share.

Third, this probably bodes very well for the next Canons in the lineup: The 5DS(r) and the 7DIII. The problem for Canon is that the 5D series is built on the idea of sharing the same basic body, so I would not expect a tilt screen or anything that requires the 5Ds to have a different body from the 5DIV.

I'm guessing a 28mp 7DIII and a 70mp 5Ds.

I really like the idea of a battery grip that uses the 1DX II battery. That would solve a lot of problems. Hoping for a 7DIII with such a grip and a CFast slot -- 16 fps here we come!

And yes, Canon does need to improve its autofocus system, so I'm also hoping for incremental improvements in autofocus on the 7DIII.

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
Mikehit said:
It looks like it is cheaper than the 5D4 but is $200 really that significant?

depends on where in the world you are - usual nonesense.

Here in the UK, the D850 is up for preorders at £3499 at main dealers. 5D4 was £3599 at launch a year ago, now £3349. Guess things will be worse if you're buying it in euros.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
Sorry, English please.

snoke said:
SecureGSM said:
I agree with others who noted that Nikon is going all out on D850 with price set on the verge of desperation.
Survival mode comes to mind. I recon they sell this camera $500 short at the very least. I would say that if it was priced at $3799, it still sells just fine.

How you know desperate?

Is it hard for you to understand what he's trying to say? Can you write French/Mandarin fluently? Was your comment necessary?

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
unfocused said:
I really like the idea of a battery grip that uses the 1DX II battery. That would solve a lot of problems. Hoping for a 7DIII with such a grip and a CFast slot -- 16 fps here we come!

How does it work out if you don't already have a 1DX2 ? Looking at the D850, the cumulative cost of grip plus D5's battery plus a charger is going to hurt. Different if you already have a D5, but if you do then you may not care about getting the D850 up to 9fps?

As for the CFast slot, I'd prefer not. Looks like CF, CFast, XQD etc will all get superceded by CFexpress. As CFast is based on SATA, which is no longer being developed, it may be better to try to defer putting in a card type that's essentially already dead. Not sure if CFexpress is far enough along though, but I've certainly wondered if that's why the 5D4 didn't add CFast.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
CanonGuy said:
SecureGSM said:
Sorry, English please.

snoke said:
SecureGSM said:

How you know desperate?

Is it hard for you to understand what he's trying to say? Can you write French/Mandarin fluently? Was your comment necessary?

I agree, let's encourage those with ESL to contribute their technical expertise and go easy on/skip the language criticism. I full understood and if I didn't I could ask for clarification.

Jack

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No, I did not understand what he was trying to say. I really tried. Hence my response. Secondly, the way he usually comes across sounds a bit rude. Don't you think? I do not generally appreciate when people jump at me despite my comment was merely an observation rather than statement.

CanonGuy said:

Upvote 0
Along with the D500, Nikon has now put some distance between itself and Canon's offerings with the D850.

I'm not moving from Canon as a) I've heavily invested in it financially and b) I believe it to be the best system for macro photography but I have to be honest and say that I am envious of the strides other manufacturers are making with their camera bodies.

Performance wise, Canons are less than when it comes to tracking (I think Nikon's 3D is better) and for what may be the best part of 6 years, sensor performance.
Yes, I fully believe Canon's lenses are better than Nikon's are overall but the 6Dii and 5Div seem very tame and limp versus their Nikon counterparts.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Sabaki said:
Along with the D500, Nikon has now put some distance between itself and Canon's offerings with the D850.

I'm not moving from Canon as a) I've heavily invested in it financially and b) I believe it to be the best system for macro photography but I have to be honest and say that I am envious of the strides other manufacturers are making with their camera bodies.

Performance wise, Canons are less than when it comes to tracking (I think Nikon's 3D is better) and for what may be the best part of 6 years, sensor performance.
Yes, I fully believe Canon's lenses are better than Nikon's are overall but the 6Dii and 5Div seem very tame and limp versus their Nikon counterparts.

As a matter of interest, are you taken by the totality of functions added but not use them, or would you actually use them. When I ask 'use them' I mean more than 'thats nice I will give it a go'. I would definitely be in the latter camp but for my day to day stuff apart from the sensor it does not really hold many advantages for me over the 5D4.

Upvote 0
CanonGuy said:
Waiting for October a7iii announcement and keeping an eye on the d850 reviews. Either of these two will be my next body. Done with canon and didn't upgrade my 5d3 after renting 5d4 for two weddings. Exciting time!

Not sure if you read this, it's from a pro who went from Canon to Sony and back to Canon again (primarily with the a7r2 bodies, but I think many issues persist): https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59526785

Upvote 0
woodman411 said:
CanonGuy said:
Waiting for October a7iii announcement and keeping an eye on the d850 reviews. Either of these two will be my next body. Done with canon and didn't upgrade my 5d3 after renting 5d4 for two weddings. Exciting time!

Not sure if you read this, it's from a pro who went from Canon to Sony and back to Canon again (primarily with the a7r2 bodies, but I think many issues persist): https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59526785

Once the a7iii is out, I'll try that with Metabone adaptor. If the keeper rate is bellow my expectation due to af issue, I'll get the d850 and 50 Art. Either ways, canon won't get my $$$ till they take the lead on innovation.

I think I mentioned in one of my previous post that it's not like my 5d3 is failing me or 5d4 won't be enough for my need. But I will never support a company with my $ who's just playing catch up game and playing it bad. Whose sole intention is to maximize milking rather than taking the industry ahead. I'll always support a company who's innovating. So yah, enough with canon. At least for me.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
foo said:
unfocused said:

How does it work out if you don't already have a 1DX2 ? Looking at the D850, the cumulative cost of grip plus D5's battery plus a charger is going to hurt. Different if you already have a D5, but if you do then you may not care about getting the D850 up to 9fps?

As for the CFast slot, I'd prefer not. Looks like CF, CFast, XQD etc will all get superceded by CFexpress. As CFast is based on SATA, which is no longer being developed, it may be better to try to defer putting in a card type that's essentially already dead. Not sure if CFexpress is far enough along though, but I've certainly wondered if that's why the 5D4 didn't add CFast.

Nothing says you'd have to buy the grip. You could choose to continue to use the LP E6. But having more power could not only open the door to a higher and more sustained frame rate, but would also help drive the autofocus with certain lenses.

It's a bit early to predict the demise of Cfast. Canon isn't the only manufacturer using the cards. Adding Cfast to a 7D would help grow the market.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
unfocused said:
It's a bit early to predict the demise of Cfast. Canon isn't the only manufacturer using the cards. Adding Cfast to a 7D would help grow the market.

I was lukewarm about CFast in the 1DX MkII, I hate mixed slots and would far rather one or the other, I wish Canon had done a Nikon and offered two versions one with dual CF and one with dual CFast slots. But now I have used CFast with a thunderbolt card reader damn am I sold! The workflow is so much faster it is ridiculous.

As for CFast's demise, well XQD has already effectively died so what choices are there now? And let's not forget there are a lot of video cameras out there that use them and those users aren't going away.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
SecureGSM said:

It's sad when an apparently awesome body has to be flogged to entice people to switch. The idea, of course, is that even if they barely break even or lose a little on the body, it's all good, because no matter what, people need to buy a few lenses.

Upvote 0
CanonGuy said:

If the 5DIV does not help you to get excellent results from your weddings, nothing can :)

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Sabaki said:

As a matter of interest, are you taken by the totality of functions added but not use them, or would you actually use them. When I ask 'use them' I mean more than 'thats nice I will give it a go'. I would definitely be in the latter camp but for my day to day stuff apart from the sensor it does not really hold many advantages for me over the 5D4.
Hey mikehit

Well, there's functions and features I would use and others I wouldn't I imagine but my concerns are more about how every generation released, Canon seems further and further off the pack.

I was bitterly disappointed with the 6D mkii. This was the body I would buy as it would close the gaps on where my 6D fell short for where I wanted to take my photography. Greater AF spread and the generational improvement in sensor performance was just not there.
The 7D mkii also fell short of the marketing promises as to me and a large number of people in my photographic community, the AF tracking is a bit disappointing.

But it's the sensor tech that gets to me. How is it that the 5DIV is still not on par with the D800 & D810? Don't get me wrong, its a brilliant piece of kit but it'll lurk in the massive shadow cast by the D850 for the rest of its lifetime.

All those little bits and bobs...wi-fi, nfc, swivel screens etc etc are secondary to me and I never do video with my DSLRs but when looking in totality at Canon cameras, the compromises are felt by the average Canon user and its becoming an unsatisfactory trend that leaves us looking at other brands in envy

Upvote 0