This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I've chosen to stay a Canon shooter but I need another body NOW. Choices are: (1) buy a 5D-IV which is great but long-in-the-tooth; or (2) wait for FF ML or new 5DS-II or Leica compact FF ... :confused:

5D IV "long in the tooth" LOL! wow. You're right. It would probably hold you back. You should absolutely go buy the Leica.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A new M5 with weather resistance and uncropped DPAF 4K and a swivel screen would be welcome. I'd have a hard time not picking one up.
I'm the same - exactly what I'm looking for .... Im keen for something small but lack of weather resistence is my main concern. I really like the tilt and swivel screens as well.

Would also be nice to have a higher quality 24-70 (or similar) equivalent lens ..... oh, and IBIS too would be nice (but less likely)!

Upvote 0
Since when has ebay been any mark of product value? 5DIV prices have hardly shifted here in UK for 2 years which suggests ebay, even at those prices, is no threat at all so they do not need to drop prices.

And it has done for what, 7 years? And Sony has still hardly made a dent in its market position globally. Considering the number of times this has been mentioned I find it astounding that people able to work a compute cannot understand one thing: statements like yours prove that the spec sheet is not the main buying driver for most people. Sure, some will be turned but they are clearly in the minority.

First of all, I'm really sorry you can't get USA prices in the UK. To make it worse, we usually don't pay any sales tax either (or VAT). And we have Greentoe and CanonPriceWatch, who usually can match gray market prices from authorized Canon retailers, plus no sales tax. Does that make it worse for you? :) Anyway, I was responding to a post that said Canon will have a hard time (selling cameras) this shopping season. My point was, no they wont - if Canon is competitive with Sony at the same price points, how much more so at lower ones.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
I was thinking more that they 1.) don't have a competitive FF mirrorless (sony), and 2.) they aren't even teasing or hyping one up (nikon).

Overall sales figures aside, I'm not sure ignoring a market segment is a good idea (if that turns out to be what they're doing).

Canon's position is that they're about to sell less FF ILCs than Sony and Nikon combined.

Fixed this for you, Neuro ;)

Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
Possibly we can give Canon a bit of credit here. Canon is a more conservative company than Nikon and certainly more conservative than Sony or Fuji.

But just because they don't allow "leaks" does not mean that they are not SERIOUSLY working to get it done. Watch. When they put out the new hardware it will be a bit more simple to use, more intuitive and easier to handle (physically).

Times are changing. But since this camera stuff is not actually revolutionary but evolutionary WE WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE should be able to chill a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Allow me to repeat this:

"Canon — Initially a follower in film SLR, eventually a leader in autofocus SLR; then a follower in DSLR that again flipped to leader; then a follower in mirrorless which may be flipping to leader. Sense a pattern there? Canon isn't generally the first mover, but when they move they move. I think that anyone who underestimates the EOS M and whatever full frame mirrorless Canon decides to produce needs to rethink their position. I'd call Canon opportunistic and well managed. I wouldn't call them the innovator that's going to trigger the next changeover in camera designs by leading the way, but they are quick to understand when that changeover is occurring. Follower that becomes a Winner."
- http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/who-leads-who-follows-who.html

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon's position is that they're about to sell less FF ILCs than Sony and Nikon combined.

Fixed this for you, Neuro ;)
Why are you here? I'm surprised you haven't bought Sony yet. No, not a Sony MILC...Sony. The company. After all, between gambling and the stock market your clairvoyance should have made you richer than Warren Buffet married to Jeff Bezos. Buying Sony (or Canon, but why would you want them) should just be pocket change for you. ;)

Upvote 0
I saw a glimmer of the future the other day. There was a petapixel article comparing Sony and Canon AF or IS or something with sample photos. The article said whatever it was was about the same for both companies. But at least half the comment section was all about "Why are the colors in the Sony photos so shitty?" Once the mirrorless hype is no longer a factor, Sony is in deep doo-doo.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
reported for totally unnecessary personal attacks..
How about this? You stop posting made-up sh!t, and I'll stop calling you out on the fact that your posts stink.

Meanwhile, why don't you explain how my 'personal attacks' against you are unwarranted, but you feel perfectly within your rights to insult entire age groups and ethnic groups.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Why are you here? I'm surprised you haven't bought Sony yet. No, not a Sony MILC...Sony. The company. After all, between gambling and the stock market your clairvoyance should have made you richer than Warren Buffet married to Jeff Bezos. Buying Sony (or Canon, but why would you want them) should just be pocket change for you. ;)

Hey, no need to get angry just because I'm right ;)

Upvote 0
We all know normal P&S digital cameras have been taken over by cellphone market. APS-C only has so much longer life until cellphone cameras, sensors, and their in phone processing have pushed APS-C aside, and FF and MF are what photographers want. This is evident by the slowing of M4/3 cameras and 1" inch sensor projects being called off. Photographers who want to take nice photos will continue to invest in new equipment as it evolves to meet their evolving definition of standards and being better than their fellow lense buddies. For everyday people a cellphone is meeting their current needs with satisfactory quality, and portal to their favorite online social platform. The statistic of Sony being the top FF market leader is interesting indeed. I still am holding out for Canon to hit a home run in the next 18 months, but I must admit when I see photographers gather here in Japan, everyone (yes everyone Nikon guys and girl, and Canon Guys and Girls, and Pentax guys and girls) goes to the guy with the Sony product to ask him about his Sony.

Upvote 0
What's with people's ultimatums that Canon had better bring out a FF mirrorless immediately or else they're gonna jump ship and that Canon's going to be in financial ruin? Lol. Isn't it your loss if you jump and when Canon brings out their FF and it's just everything you've ever wanted? Not to mention that although camera tech may advance every year, lenses really don't. And Canon lenses are just about the best there are for the money. And Sony, having a lot of sales, well of course they did. They release a new camera every couple of years. And since mirrorless tech seems to have advanced so quickly, they had no choice. Not to mention that they've been at it with FF mirrorless for quite some time now. But when mirrorless technology plateau's then what? Are people going to raise their pitchforks? They can't just polish an old turd and hope it'll sell. Eventually people will catch on. There's really nothing wrong with a long life cycle. As long as the new model has truly advanced and refined. Sony is far from refined if you ask me. As a Sony dealer, I can tell you that they lack in so many departments that other lines in their company is utter garbage. Up until a few years ago, Sony was a Playstation company first, then everything else (tv, portables, audio, car, cameras) a distant second. And in those other departments, they're severely x10^3 mismanaged. Look, products go in cycles and one year, brand x will be on top. Then next year, brand y. The year after that, brand z. Internally, it takes times to R&D for a revolutionary product. And good things come to those who wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0