Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
What do you find lacking in the build quality of the R? I've used one for nearly a year, and while there are many things I'd like to see improved, build quality isn't even on the list.

Canon EOS R6
What I really want is better build quality than the EOS R, even if it's by a little

He probably wants an all metal EOS R camera. Might I suggest a Leica?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Replacement of touch bar
Improved button placement
TBH, similar to the R5 from the outside

ahhh..... those are actually 'ergonomic' changes, rather than 'build quality' changes. I have an EOS R and I do agree that the touch bar is largely useless. I would love to have a traditional joystick instead for quick AF point shifts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I simply keep my right hand on the body and my left under the lens. Balance isn't a problem. I did the very same thing when using a big lens (EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II) on my 5D Mark III. In my opinion, the "balance" argument people are making is way over blown. Attach any big lens to any camera body and the balance point is always going to be somewhere out on the lens and never at the mount. Just move the left hand to the balance point and all is good. Seems simple enough to me, but it sounds difficult for many. Throw on a 400mm - 800mm lens and the weight of the body really doesn't matter, in my opinion, when it comes to balance. If it ain't on a tripod, the left hand is supporting the lens anyway.
I Agree, I have an RF 70-200 F/2.8L on my R and find it fine. I've even taken off the tripod collar as the lens is shorter when at 70mm & it doesn't need it. Even at 200mm it's fine secured to the tripod on the camera fixing. As you do, I just have my left hand under the lens when not on a tripod & I don't use an extension grip either. The R5 looks slightly chunkier and may be a little heavier so all to the good. As I've said before, people obsess too much about detail instead of just getting on with things lol

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Not really. I can (and am sure many others can) pick up any Canon camera (if they have learned 1dx2 or 3 very well) and figure any other camera within a few hours.

It's a lot more nuanced than "I know where the ISO button is located". It takes a lot of shooting to become familiar with how the AF behaves and fails, or what ISO is best under certain lighting.

Just like moving from one generation of a Corvette to another.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Wow... I am really hesitant to say this: please stop throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.
it did not work. You obviously not an action or sport photographer. Your understanding of action / sport camera requirements is lacking
I get that you like Canon. So do I. But please stop embarrassing yourself as you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sony A9 has “Primitive contrast AF”?
Just what the hell are you smoking?
its all PDAF and fast

It is NOT DPAF thus is worthless primitive crap by comparison.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It is NOT DPAF thus is worthless primitive crap by comparison.
I said: PDAF. Phase-Detect Auto Focus. This is exactly the type of auto focus being used by 1D series Canon cameras for OVF focusing. :D

DPAF, as we know it, so far has been more precise but also quite a bit slower in current Canon implementation.
Anyway, I strongly suggest that you should stop embarrassing yourself. You are obviously not up to speed with technology. Not too worry. It’s all good.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I said: PDAF. Phase-Detect Auto Focus. This is exactly the type of auto focus being used by 1D series Canon cameras for OVF focusing. :D

DPAF, as we know it, so far has been more precise but also quite a bit slower in current Canon implementation.
Anyway, I strongly suggest that you should stop embarrassing yourself. You are obviously not up to speed with technology. Not too worry. It’s all good.

I am tired of Sony apologists who just cannot admit Canon as far as true innovation leads the pack and the R5 is confirming this in a HUGE way.

Upvote 0
Oh, I agree with that. I fully expect that if a 1 series mirrorless is ready by the time the Summer Olympics finally take place Canon will be promoting the hell out of it. What I took issue with is the idea that Canon would be preparing an "R1" for actual day-to-day, event-to-event use by professional photographers tasked with covering the Olympics and that would somehow be driving the development timetable of the still mythical R1.

It's a rather subtle distinction, but the point is that those who think Canon is rushing to get an R1 body ready for use by professionals at the Olympics aren't thinking about the dynamics of the Olympics, which is a unique venue that carries high risk for photographers who are under pressure to get the shots. One of the reasons Canon released the 1Dx III when they did was so that photographers would have it in hand and be totally comfortable with it well in advance of the Olympics. And that's a line that photographers were already intimately familiar with.

In addition, people conveniently ignore the unique challenges that the RF mount presents. I've shot sports trying to use the R as a second body. While the adapter works flawlessly with EF glass, switching back and forth is a pain in the ass, as is carrying duplicate lenses for both mounts. This won't prevent Canon from heavily promoting the R1 when it is ready , whether at the Olympics or other venues, but it will seriously hamper the ultimate adoption of the RF mount for everyday use by professionals.

I completely agree with everything you said. Excited to see an R1 come out, but a lot will have to change to make it a compelling choice over the 1DXiii. A lot of those challenges I'm not really convinced they will overcome. There are just some physical realities of working with a live OVF view that would be hard to even match, let alone overcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I also find the weight of the EOS-1D X Mark II to be quite heavy. However, many of the RF "L" lenses seem to be heavy. if it were me, I would want proper balance between camera body and its RF "L" lenses. Thus, I would not want a camera body which is too lightweight. It will be interesting to read up on the EOS R5 camera body weight when the final specifications are published.

Each person views this weight balance differently, but I have use both my 1DXii and my R (with battery grip) with my 400mm f/2.8 and really don't mind either. To me, the existence of the battery grip is what makes the biggest amount of difference, not so much the weight. Sure, the balance changes somewhat, but not to the point I notice it. That might be different from someone with less . . . girth than I have.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I am a Canon apologist If that matters to you. However your perception of R5 being a sport camera is incorrect.

Let us see, 12fps beats the crap out of Sony a9II at 10fps.
Both have 20 fps electronic.
Canon has better tracking per specs.
The DPAF is the AF fastest system available and the smoothest and most accurate.
So either the R5 is not for sports and the far lesser a9II then qualifies as a distant second not for sports.
Or the R5 is for sports and the a9II is a distant second for sports.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The DPAF is the AF fastest system available and the smoothest and most accurate.
So either the R5 is not for sports and the far lesser a9II then qualifies as a distant second not for sports.

A9 has no blackout. R5 almost certainly will. Which is why the A9 II will remain the leader until the EOS R1 is launched.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I completely agree with everything you said. Excited to see an R1 come out, but a lot will have to change to make it a compelling choice over the 1DXiii. A lot of those challenges I'm not really convinced they will overcome. There are just some physical realities of working with a live OVF view that would be hard to even match, let alone overcome.
This is why I wonder when we are going to see an R1. It may be a while, I think.

Upvote 0
This is why I wonder when we are going to see an R1. It may be a while, I think.

The first reviews of the R5 will likely tell us how long it will be before we see an R1. From my R sports use, the biggest issues are EVF lag and battery life/EVF not falling asleep and waking slowly. If you are shooting with two bodies, you cannot pull up one and wait a second for the EVF to wake. And running the EVF full time drains the battery.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
it’s honestly not me or what I want
The industry and real world folks that shoot with canon have all thought that canon was slipping or something the past few years. They’re all super happy that the upcoming products look great and innovative

But this forum just sometimes feels like a fanboy forum and not something more levelheaded. I am glad If you love everything canon has made and think it’s flawless. My take home point remains.

:D:D I have to laugh because I thought I had made my points clear. And yet, it seems as if you completely missed the point. Not just missed the point, but misinterpreted the points. I will try to make it clearer.

Many folks reply to criticism of Canon - not because they feel the need to defend everything about Canon, but because folks present opinion as fact, or totally exaggerate their criticisms. We may even agree with some of the criticisms, but react to those unfair and exaggerated claims. Such as, "The industry and real world folks that shoot with canon have all thought that canon was slipping..."

Should we ignore something that is an obvious exaggeration? "All"? All Canon shooters think Canon was slipping? Even a quick reading of forum comments clearly give you the evidence that some Canon shooters are happy with their cameras and don't agree that Canon is slipping. So, if I reply to that, does that make me a fanboy? Or does it make me level-headed when I point out that it is more accurate for someone to say, "I, and some photographers I know think Canon was slipping."

You also misrepresent what I say with your comment that I, "love everything canon has made and think it’s flawless." Nowhere did I say anything even remotely like this. Here is what I actually wrote, "So, apparently, the areas that Canon specs are not equal to other brands over-rides areas that they do as well or better. Maybe, just maybe, some of those Canon trolls you mention are merely pointing out instances where the complainers are unable to articulate their thoughts in a realistic way - confusing fact with opinion. Or ignoring all aspects of a camera and just singling out the areas that they think should be improved."

Not only do I not say that Canon cameras are flawless, but I clearly mention "areas that Canon specs are not equal to other brands..." Nowhere do I say that I love everything Canon has made. I guess I should just let that go. Don't want to make it seem like replying and trying to set the record straight makes me a fanboy. :D:D

it’s honestly not me or what I want
The industry and real world folks that shoot with canon have all thought that canon was slipping or something the past few years. They’re all super happy that the upcoming products look great and innovative

But this forum just sometimes feels like a fanboy forum and not something more levelheaded. I am glad If you love everything canon has made and think it’s flawless. My take home point remains.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Are you not listening? Stop pretending you even understand what you are saying. You have no slightest idea of what makes a great sport camera.

+++++ Canon has better tracking per specs.

A.M:
1. per specs??? Are you even serious?
You are talking about non released, untested camera.
2. what are those “tracking specs”??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:D:D I have to laugh because I thought I had made my points clear. And yet, it seems as if you completely missed the point. Not just missed the point, but misinterpreted the points. I will try to make it clearer.

Many folks reply to criticism of Canon - not because they feel the need to defend everything about Canon, but because folks present opinion as fact, or totally exaggerate their criticisms. We may even agree with some of the criticisms, but react to those unfair and exaggerated claims. Such as, "The industry and real world folks that shoot with canon have all thought that canon was slipping..."

Should we ignore something that is an obvious exaggeration? "All"? All Canon shooters think Canon was slipping? Even a quick reading of forum comments clearly give you the evidence that some Canon shooters are happy with their cameras and don't agree that Canon is slipping. So, if I reply to that, does that make me a fanboy? Or does it make me level-headed when I point out that it is more accurate for someone to say, "I, and some photographers I know think Canon was slipping."

You also misrepresent what I say with your comment that I, "love everything canon has made and think it’s flawless." Nowhere did I say anything even remotely like this. Here is what I actually wrote, "So, apparently, the areas that Canon specs are not equal to other brands over-rides areas that they do as well or better. Maybe, just maybe, some of those Canon trolls you mention are merely pointing out instances where the complainers are unable to articulate their thoughts in a realistic way - confusing fact with opinion. Or ignoring all aspects of a camera and just singling out the areas that they think should be improved."

Not only do I not say that Canon cameras are flawless, but I clearly mention "areas that Canon specs are not equal to other brands..." Nowhere do I say that I love everything Canon has made. I guess I should just let that go. Don't want to make it seem like replying and trying to set the record straight makes me a fanboy. :D:D

it’s never helpful to get lost in someone else’s narrative. My point remains..
the R5 is the most exciting camera of 2020 by fat. It’s exciting despite being based on things that many on this forum have been bashing for years now.

ibis
Mirrorless
Smaller/lighter form factor: it’s not a big dslr
Canon is moving towards AI based AF
Video is a key selling point

this camera takes everything that Sony was winning sales on and appears to do match or leapfrog it. It means that there’s value in moving in that direction. I’m glad it happened and I think more folks will warn to this once they use a refined canon product with them.

Upvote 0