what do you want to see 7D Mark III

Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
RGF said:
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

- Low light/High ISO better than 1Dx M2 by 1-2 stops

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.
Ha-ha-ha! With a crop sensor, too! Chortle!

good point. Perhaps 1-2 stops better than current?

If we got 1-2 stops better high ISO every time it's been asked for it in a successive model, we'd be taking picture of black holes with our iPhones ;D
Since no light escapes a black hole, it really does not matter which camera you use

By Hawking radiation theory, a black hole releases something like one photon every light crossing time if I'm remembering stuff straight. Our cameras ought to be able to pick up that photon. ;D (provided of course that the photon from a million light years away happens to hit the 6 square centimètres of camera sensor)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
IglooEater said:
Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
RGF said:
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.

If we got 1-2 stops better high ISO every time it's been asked for it in a successive model, we'd be taking picture of black holes with our iPhones ;D
Since no light escapes a black hole, it really does not matter which camera you use

By Hawking radiation theory, a black hole releases something like one photon every light crossing time if I'm remembering stuff straight. Our cameras ought to be able to pick up that photon. ;D (provided of course that the photon from a million light years away happens to hit the 6 square centimètres of camera sensor)

And that is why the 7D3 needs ISO 9,007,199,254,740,992,000

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
RGF said:
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

And that is why the 7D3 needs ISO 9,007,199,254,740,992,000
Or 1,000 stops of DR so I can get a picture of the sun and recover the black hole in the background.

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
For me if they just stick the 80D sensor and add a touch screen in it would be fine for my usage I think the 7DMKII is really rather excellent as it is.

One thing I would like is if they could improve the consistency of the AF it may have the same AF system as the 5DMKIII and 1DX but it certainly doesnt hit anywhere near as accurately and consistently.

Many occasions it will acquire focus and I will get a frame that is completely out, nothing in the frame is in focus even on the standard AF profile shooting still subjects. It can be frustrating.

When it does hit its fantastic. I had none of these issues with the 5DMKIII.

The 80D and 6DMKII have the same issue so I think it may be something to do with the DPAF.

That would definitely be the quick and lazy way to do it, but it would be sufficient to get me to upgrade from my 70D pretty much immediately.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
In my opinion the 7F (Mark x) is the top of the cropped-series, and a true 'photo machine" for action photography. Not video. And it must stay that way, in my humble opinion.
As you cannot have it all at the present price level I would therefore prefer to NOT see 4K in the 7D Mark III.

I would like to see the following in the 7D Mark III.
1. A bit more DR, spread evenly over the lower ISO range and the higher ISO range.
This for the simple reason that although action shooters often (need to) shoot at higher ISO levels, the lower ISO levels offer the better IQ (resulting from less types of noise and better DR).
2. An AF system with better lock on moving (!) subjects with less than perfect contrast.
With this I mean lower light levels and/or lower subject contrast and/or darker colors. Especially brown(ish) subjects, even with quite some apparent contrast, seem difficult to keep in focus when moving.
This will be related to the properties of the individual AF-points with OVF focussing and therefore one could expect that if this could be achieved, such performace would be seen in the 1D first.
But comparing series of photos taken at almost the same time with the 80D, the 7D Mark II and also the Nikon D7200 seem to indicate that "tracking accuracy" for lower light levels and/or lower subject contrast and/or darker colors can be improved on the Canons.
P.S. I am not sure whether this is due to better 'performance' of individual AF-points, better 'tracking" general algorithms or better performance for tracking "colors".
3. Not many more Mpixels in the 7D Mark III.
IMHO even 24Mpixel is too much. Not many people have f/2.8 lenses so they hardly benefit from more Mpixels due to diffraction.
4. Higher peak fps not really necessary. But if it is done, then pleas allow for more intermediate values in the Menu for the "high fps" setting.
5. An LCD screen with a bit higher resolution would be welcome, and 1-touch to go to 1:1 crop. The implementation of the screen itself could be like on the 80D, although I would slightly prefer the larger size of a fixed LCD screen.

Upvote 0
What I would LIKE to see :
- 24Mp sensor,
- improved high ISO performance,
- improved dynamic range,
- improved AF (all F8),
- focus point spread across the entire viewfinder,
- 100% viewfinder coverage,
- 15 fps,
- Endless RAW buffer,
- Endless JPEG buffer,
- SD UHS-II dual card slot,
- Articulating screen,
- Shutter rated at 300k+,
- same LP-E6(N) battery as 80D / 6D2,
- price tag at or below €1500 at launch (body only).

What I actually EXPECT to see :
- 24Mp sensor
- Slightly improved high ISO performance,
- Slightly improved dynamic range,
- improved AF, most to F8,
- Focus points spread similarly to 7D2,
- 100% viewfinder coverage,
- 12 fps,
- RAW buffer of 100,
- Endless JPEG buffer,
- SD UHS-II card slot and CF card slot
- Articulating touchscreen,
- WiFi and GPS,
- shutter rated at 200k or 250k,
- LP-E6N battery
- price tag of €1700 - €1900 at launch (body only).

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
focus point spread across the entire viewfinder,

Won't happen. The AF system is limited by vignetting of the lenses which is why the AF area on FF is not that much bigger than on APS-C.
What would be possible is two AF spreads - one for OVF (as is) and one for Liveview (full screen).

Endless RAW buffer,
With modern cards and processors the buffer is a sideshow. It is not how big the buffer is but how quickly images are moved to the buffer to make room for more photos. I have tried my 7D2 with a new fast card and get over 50 images before it slows down - how often do you shoot more than 5 seconds on a burst?

Endless JPEG buffer,
It already is with the speed of the card (see above)

The rest of the 'like to see' seem pretty reasonable

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Most of Andries " What I expect to see list is possible. If Canon meets or exceeds this I would try to be first in line to buy! If Canon drops the ball again I will still have my trusty 7D to use. It has just over 5k on the counter and the files are large enough for me. I was going to trade it in to ease the pain of buying new. I would be better off putting it back in it's box and save it for emergencies.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hector1970 said:
tron said:
Hector1970 said:
For me it's a better image quality in the end. I don't find the image as clear as it should be especially as ISO goes up. I always feel it's lacking. I don't expect it to be as good as full frame but much better.
12 FPS would be good. I'm not a fan of the 7DII / 5DSR sensor. At the time too many pixels crammed in.
Have you tested 5DsR and 7DII or 7DII only? I thought the same for 5DsR until I bought it. It's IQ is better than 7DII in low ISO (at least up to 1000).
Yes I've both. Unsatisfied with both. The 5DIV for me produces better images than the 5DSR. It's my number 1 choice.
At higher magnification I find the 7DII and 5DSR images are smudgy where a 5DIII or 5DIV are still clean.
I have both too and I find 5DsR better in reasonably low ISO. In photos shot with 5DsR up to a point I can use just Camera Raw to denoise while in 7DII I most often need 2 products to denoise. This is my criteria for less noise: Easier workflow and less disk space (In case of 2 step denoise I keep both the original raw files and the derived ones).

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
1. The ability to snap in a 1TB, m.2 SSD :D It would be so cool if you could have grip with additional SSD storage.

2. 32GB SDRAM buffer. Let's put the whole buffer thing to rest; the camera can buffer 1000x30MB RAWs.

3. Motion Detect Servo AI: Take a shot; wait until vibration reaches a threshold minimum, then take 3 more shots. Then take 2 shots every time the subject changes position, without moving relative to the scene. AF Track it and keep shooting at maximum FPS if the subject moves from its location until it leaves the frame.

4. Version with no AA filter

I'd spring $4,000 for a crop body for features like that!

Mikehit said:
focus point spread across the entire viewfinder,

Won't happen. The AF system is limited by vignetting of the lenses which is why the AF area on FF is not that much bigger than on APS-C.
What would be possible is two AF spreads - one for OVF (as is) and one for Liveview (full screen).

I must misunderstand. How is this different from PDAF/DPAF the way it is now? In liveview, you can focus on whatever you want, even if it's in the far corner of the screen.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
gekko said:
zim said:
Just the one in the middle, doesn't really count as 'linked' :)

All AF points can be used for that if you set the correct metering mode, both according to the user manual and my testing. I use it all the time while photographing birds.

gekko, can you tell me where in the Manual this is described for random AF-points?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
cellomaster27 said:
I'll keep it short.. Canon better not pull back anymore. Sheesh, I really like Canon overall but it's getting kind of ridiculous with the recent offerings. Still work great but compared to the competition, it's lack luster and still pricey for what it is.

Nikon and Sony add functions, Canon improve usability of what they have. I prefer Canon's approach.

Upvote 0
haggie said:
gekko said:
zim said:
Just the one in the middle, doesn't really count as 'linked' :)

All AF points can be used for that if you set the correct metering mode, both according to the user manual and my testing. I use it all the time while photographing birds.

gekko, can you tell me where in the Manual this is described for random AF-points?

Have a look in the table at the bottom of page 203.

Upvote 0