Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/what-next/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/what-next/"></a></div>
<p><strong>What Now?</strong>

I took a day off to clear the head. It was much needed.</p>
<p>After nothing showed up Wednesday, we look to the future of the Canon lineup. I’ll rank what I have as far as information on the next bodies and lenses.</p>
<p><!--more--><strong>DSLRs</strong></p>
<ol>
<li>5D Mark III or Similar - The hype machine is building every day. Everyone is ready for their next full frame body. We’ve had Q3/Q4 2011 for a long while for the camera. 28mp and 7D af were the latest specs. We always hear “raw video” as well.</li>
<li>1Ds Mark IV or Similar - Everyone is wondering where it is, and there is next to zero information about it. All I’ve been told from very good people is late 2011 or even into 2012 for any type of announcement.</li>
<li>1D Mark V – It’s been suggested a couple of times we’d see this camera before a 1Ds Mark IV.</li>
<li>New Body i.e. 3D – We had a r<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/01/land-of-crazy-not-so-crazy-cr1-5/">ecent full frame rumor</a>, it has yet to come to fruition.</li>
</ol>
<p>There’s going to be some significant changes in the Canon DSLR lineup over the next year I think. I know the mention of a 5D Mark III makes some people hyperventilate.</p>
<p><strong>Lenses</strong></p>
<ol>
<li><strong>24-70 f/2.8 II </strong>- It’s coming, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/10/canon-ef-24-70-f2-8l-ii-patent/">the patent exists</a>. When? Makes sense to arrive with a 5D Mark III. All the signs point to no IS in the lens.</li>
<li><strong>35 f/1.4L II</strong> – It seems to be wanted, although I love the current one. I haven’t heard anything about it in a while.</li>
<li><strong>50 f/1.2L II</strong> – More talk about this lens than you’d think. Not sure what to make of the chatter. It has a bit of bad PR with its focus shift.</li>
<li><strong>24-105 f/4L II</strong> – Upgraded IS and the new kit lens for the 5D3.</li>
<li><strong>135 f/1.8L</strong> – Speed up and replace an absolute classic lens in the 135 f/2L? It’s constantly talked about.</li>
<li><strong>200 f/3.5L IS Macro</strong> – The big macro is getting replaced, it’s a nice niche lens they don’t need large scale manufacturing for.</li>
<li><strong>90 f/2.8L Tilt-Shift</strong> – Another lens they’d be smart to upgrade. There’s a lot of tilt-shift portrait work going on.</li>
<li><strong>17-40 f/4L IS </strong>- An ultra wide angle lens with IS is missing from the EF lineup, Nikon has one.</li>
</ol>
<p>I’ve said 2011 would be a big lens year for Canon. I still stand behind that. Although, lenses are always harder to get information on than camera bodies.</p>
<p>Bear in mind this list is an accumulation of things I’ve been sent.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
LukeS said:
Any news on if the 100-400 will be upgraded anytime soon?

I'm still behind the thought process that the 70-300 is the new 100-400. They'll see how that goes and go from there. I was told that by a person that would be about as knowledgable as they come.

I have posted that the 100-400 would be upgraded in 2011, but that could be the 200-400.

It's a confusing area of the lens lineup.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
RyanCrierie said:
Talked to a Washington Post photographer who was sporting a 5D Mk 2 at a recent publicity event for SpaceX/Tesla on K Street.

She did mention a rough timeframe -- nine months -- for the 5D Mk 3.

As an aside, she also loved her 5D Mk 2, as it could produce good shots up to ISO 2500. Just sayin'.

she probably got her info from a colleague who reads Canon Rumors ;D

Upvote 0
G

Grummbeerbauer

Canon Rumors said:
I'm still behind the thought process that the 70-300 is the new 100-400. They'll see how that goes and go from there.

While the announcement of the 200-400, which is of course an entirely different beast than the 100-400, seems to validate that line of thought, I won't accept this lens as such. I might be a nice lens and all, but the thing is totally overpriced and 300mm is not 400mm (and any talk about crop sensor advantage is total bull, what about FF users, what about crop users that need every mm of FL?).
If they eliminate or rather no longer evolve reasonably affordable means to get to 400mm (or maybe even 500mm, how about a 500 f5.6 IS?) and continue completely dropping the middle ground in their lens line up, which they seem to be doing at the moment, they will ultimately loose me as a customer. Just look at what lens announcements have been made over the recent years: A bunch of more or less el-cheapo kit or superzoom lenses (the 15-85 shines a bit here, but it is still just a slow standard zoom) and at the other end of the spectrum only overpriced niche (TS-E) or "pro-only" (the new super teles) lenses. The only exception is the 100L Macro, which is (barely) within the "reasonable" price range (although the almost 100% price increase of the non-L non-IS predecessor is really steep), but non-macro guys will shrug that one of as a niche lens as well.

So if they go on like this, and if I have to look to Sigma/Tamron/Tokina to find reasonably priced "enthusiast" lenses, I will definitely switch the camp -- after all, its not the recent smattering of great bodies that keeps me with Canon (how much longer will they play catch up with Nikon? After 2 years the finally answered the D300(s) with the 7D, but there is still no answer to the D700, and the 60D can't hold a candle to the D7000). Now add in that there is a lot less moaning about AF problems with third party lenses in the yellow camp, why should I bother with inferior Canon bodies any longer?
What still does keep me with Canon are a few gems in their lens line up (most of which I have) -- and a lot of these gems are actually overdue for some polishing. The problem is that even if they did the polishing, the main part they seem to be doing is polishing Canon's EBIT by adding at least 25 to 50% of the price over that of the predecessor, or even more if they slap a red ring on it in the process, just consider the doubling of the price for the TS-E 24 II, 100L or the near tripling for the 70-300L. So with that strategy they move formerly mid-range lenses firmly into high-end (or at least high-price) territory.

I will hold back with any investments in my hobby for now ( I admit that I am lusting for the 70-200 2.8 IS II, but I will manage to keep that urge under control) and wait what this year brings. If the D800 becomes what people expect from Nikon and if the 5DMk.III ends up being the luke-warm lets-not-canibalize-our-valuable-1D(s)-line "upgrade" that people have started to expect from Canon, I am gone.

Upvote 0
Grummbeerbauer said:
I will hold back with any investments in my hobby for now ( I admit that I am lusting for the 70-200 2.8 IS II, but I will manage to keep that urge under control) and wait what this year brings. If the D800 becomes what people expect from Nikon and if the 5DMk.III ends up being the luke-warm lets-not-canibalize-our-valuable-1D(s)-line "upgrade" that people have started to expect from Canon, I am gone.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.
This will be a decisive year for both Canon and for Canon users.
It's just not possible to endlessly introduce premium price new lens variants while offering inferior bodies in order not cannibalize the flagship product.

Upvote 0
Peerke said:
LOL. You both, as hobbyists, have high demands when you claim that Canon produces inferior products. I bet you want 10.000,- $$$ IQ but only want to pay 100,- $$$. You're not even making (much?) money since you are not professional. If you are complaining about IQ, I would invest in a workshop to learn and take better pictures. Strange that top photographers never complain about equipment and just take amazing pictures.

As owning couple of L lens + a few others not particularly cheap (like EF-S 15-85) I've already spent a lot more on Canon stuff than you think (I'm nevertheless happy to report that people who actually have seen my pictures did not see the need to enroll me some photography course).

Please note that I was not complaining on IQ (in particular not those new lenses that I have like EF 100 2.8L IS which is in my view outstanding) but no matter how I look the recently introduced 60D is clearly inferior compared to D7000. Both IQ wise and from handling point of view. Not to mention features like dual SD slot that allows separating RAW or JPG or pictures from video.
Have you ever checked how WB, flash exposure correction or middle AF point setting can be done using 60D?

So having good but maybe a bit overpriced lenses is just one side of the story.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.