1Ds Mark IV in 2011 or 2012 [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rukes

baronfizzy said:
The whole post that this thread is based on is ridiculous. If Canon wasn't bringing out the 1Ds Mark IV this year, why would testers have had the cameras for several months now? How long do testers normally have cameras for?

Seriously, I think this whole thread has been going a bit crazy. I think everyone should just take a step back and see if it's announced for Photokina. If not, then we all know it's delayed, and we can all go crazy with rumors :)

Upvote 0
R

Rattle

peejay said:
Oh this is ridiculously frustrating.

I need to invest in a camera system and with this annoying release date I'm going to go Medium Format.

Useless Canon, Useless.
Really, you expect us to believe this. All of a sudden someone using a 10MP point and shoot is ticked because Canon has delayed the next "s" body. Moving to a used II or III or even a new 1DMKiv would be more than challenging coming from that camera. If Canon isn't meeting your needs then move along and buy something that will. Out of sheer curiosity what are you shooting that would require you to move from a point and shoot to a medium format and have you actually looked at what that is going to set you back. Me thinks I am talking to a troll. If not then explain yourself.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Rattle said:
I don't know many sports, real stuff not staged, photographers who long for a FF body.
This is a very important point - full frame is another front for marketing, something like a new megapixel battle. I'm not sure Canon makes as much headway on chip development for full frame versus APS-C sized, but the $900-$1000 difference over even the 7D that the 5D Mark II commands currently is an incentive for Canon.

More an incentive to release the 5D Mark III first: The features of the 5D Mark II are becoming dated by some standards (control layout possibly, autofocus module obviously, video features arguably - higher framerates would be very useful to many shooters and higher sensitivity is always a good thing).

On the 1Ds front, the current camera in the segment does what it's supposed to do - it has a well-regarded autofocus system and good basic characteristics for sports and press photographers.

So despite what many folks say the 5D has much more mass market appeal to many - a good balance of features and cost that make it appealing to people working in all sorts of areas.
Rattle said:
Out of sheer curiosity what are you shooting that would require you to move from a point and shoot to a medium format and have you actually looked at what that is going to set you back. Me thinks I am talking to a troll. If not then explain yourself.
Not worth the trouble. I think the medium format companies (the few and fewer left) have better use of their marketing money than posting unpersuasive gripes on CR, so I doubt there's anything of substance to consider.

Upvote 0
M

macfly

Something that everyone here is missing is that Canon knows how many 1Ds's it will sell, as all of us who have ben buying them will continue to buy them. Obviously I won't buy another mklll but am on the list for the IV at my local camera store when it arrives. I suspect most of us pros are in the same boat, as are the rental houses, design studios and other commercial users who will be upgrading using the nice tax incentives we get for equipment upgrades.

It would seem to me that the mklll sales have already been heavily cannibalized by the 5D, so upgrading the 5D first will totally undermine any future potential 1Ds Mklll sales. Production lines have to produce, and as a factory planner you have to know what your production lines need to keep them moving. Would you want to be spending all that time and money producing the mklll that will sit on shelves, and be sold off as remaindered items at huge discounts because your own product at almost a quarter of the price has kicked it off its perch? Makes no sense to me, and for that reason alone I'd expect (and hope) to see a 1Ds mkIV first (soon).

Upvote 0
P

peejay

Rattle said:
peejay said:
Oh this is ridiculously frustrating.

I need to invest in a camera system and with this annoying release date I'm going to go Medium Format.

Useless Canon, Useless.
Really, you expect us to believe this. All of a sudden someone using a 10MP point and shoot is ticked because Canon has delayed the next "s" body. Moving to a used II or III or even a new 1DMKiv would be more than challenging coming from that camera. If Canon isn't meeting your needs then move along and buy something that will. Out of sheer curiosity what are you shooting that would require you to move from a point and shoot to a medium format and have you actually looked at what that is going to set you back. Me thinks I am talking to a troll. If not then explain yourself.

Say what? A 10MP point and shoot? What are you on about, freak?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.