A bit more information on the upcoming RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon will officially announced the RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS on November 2, 2023. This lens seems to be generating a lot of positive hype. There are still some unknowns about the lens, but we only have to wait a few more days for the launch. The Camera Insider is reporting that it’s definitely not an

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not sure about this one. I shoot Nikon as well and whenever I’m using the 800mm 6.3 in not perfect lighting conditions , not even dark , ISO goes through the roof and I struggle to get adequate exposure. Not sure how this F9 lens will behave but that worries me a bit. I’m waiting for the 200-500F4 though.
If you can’t get adequate exposure under those conditions with an f/6.3 lens, then there is either something wrong with your Nikon camera or your RAW conversion.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I hope for at least some kind of weather resistance. I can't see myself buying a 2500Euro Lens and then going for a hike with a bunch of garbage bags around my lens if it starts to drizzle.

On a different note... What is going on with the forum on mobile? I have to delete every second word because the input is so laggy, that letters get lost or switched around.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I hope for at least some kind of weather resistance. I can't see myself buying a 2500Euro Lens and then going for a hike with a bunch of garbage bags around my lens if it starts to drizzle.

On a different note... What is going on with the forum on mobile? I have to delete every second word because the input is so laggy, that letters get lost or switched around.
Look on the bright side. If it's not weather sealed, it will dry out faster.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
f/6-8.5 would not be sold as f/6.3-f/9.
Things usually go the other way.
Agreed. For every patent I’ve matched to an actual lens, Canon has rounded in their favor for both focal length and aperture. This patent should correspond to a 200-800 f/5.6-8.

Also…
Back focus: 22.57mm 43.72mm 83.86mm
That leaves just 2.57 mm for the extender protrusion to fit into the back of the lens. Pretty sure that’s not enough, suggesting it would work with TCs like the RF 100-500, i.e., not at the wide end.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Agreed. For every patent I’ve matched to an actual lens, Canon has rounded in their favor for both focal length and aperture. This patent should correspond to a 200-800 f/5.6-8.

Maybe DO element (or some other part of the design) loses enough light to pull the T-stop down a bit, so they decided to go the other way with the naming.
Also…

That leaves just 2.57 mm for the extender protrusion to fit into the back of the lens. Pretty sure that’s not enough, suggesting it would work with TCs like the RF 100-500, i.e., not at the wide end.
That may be the price for the short body. The patent shows a design shorter than the 800 f/11 (when collapsed) at the short end and only a little longer than the extended 800 f/11 at full reach. That tradeoff won't offend me because I tend to use TCs at or near the long end in any case and the number you point to suggest the lens could be zoomed back to around 300mm with TC in place. It all depends on how fast the rear element moves out as the lens is zoomed out. If the zoom has a friction lock, then I see no issue at all.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Just measured my RF TCs, protrusion is about 16 mm.
So that is 16 mm forward from the flange and the flange to sensor distance is 20mm so that would say you need a back focus distance of 36mm for clearance. the patent says approx 44mm at 400mm so somewhere between 300 and 350 for the stop. that is well within the overlap range for no TC and a 2x TC, so no gap in reach coverage with only a 2x. just some extension in storage if the TC is attached.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Sounds very promissing.
Esp. that TCs can be used.
Still dimensions, weight, MFD and final price should be known before all are cheering (I know, some will never cheer ;) )
Even if there's nothing to complain about, a scenario will happen like the following:
Almost everyone: This time it's perfect!
That one person: Why can't Canon make flawed lenses? I'm going to Nikony!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sounds ok. I actually just switched and bought the z9 and the 600pf. My local brick and mortar had one and I got it. Went shooting today. Seems pretty amazing granted I’m new to Nikon and there is a learning curve. I still love canon and appreciate their products and hope I can still post here. I just couldn’t wait and this lens didn’t seem to be the compromise I was looking for!

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Sounds ok. I actually just switched and bought the z9 and the 600pf. My local brick and mortar had one and I got it. Went shooting today. Seems pretty amazing granted I’m new to Nikon and there is a learning curve. I still love canon and appreciate their products and hope I can still post here. I just couldn’t wait and this lens didn’t seem to be the compromise I was looking for!
Hope it lives up to your expectations. The early shots that DPR put up weren't that stunningly sharp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Doesn´t the patent RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 actually go to around F6.7 (or F.6.9?), which depending on your setting doesn't doesn't show up. Depending on your camera setting it chooses to show F6.3 or 7.1. The lens is sold as a F7.1 at the long end, so I guess it does exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Doesn´t the patent RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 actually go to around F6.7, which doesn't exits in setting. Depending on your camera setting it chooses to show F6.3 or 7.1. The lens is sold as a F7.1 at the long end, so I guess it does exist.
If you want to see f/6.7, you have to set the camera to 1/2 stop intervals rather than 1/3 stop intervals. The fact that you can't see that aperture doesn't mean the camera won't use it in program mode, but it will only show you the closest value that is displayable based on your interval setting. That follows through to what is shown in EXIF as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0