A new take on BIF

Chisox2335 said:
ahab1372 said:
yeah that is not going to be easy - they are small and fast and AF will have a hard time focusing in low light. I'm also curious what others have got

The one I was trying to get was flying so erratically it was very difficult to even get this picture. I suppose a 400mm f2.8 on a 1dx might do the trick.
If you can't keep them in the viewfinder, a 1DX won't help either :)
One way to get them into a more predictable flight pattern is (sometimes) to throw a small stone high up in the air when they are near. If they pick up the echo of the stone, they might follow the stone as it falls back to the ground. You still gotta be quick though

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ahab1372 said:
One way to get them into a more predictable flight pattern is (sometimes) to throw a small stone high up in the air when they are near. If they pick up the echo of the stone, they might follow the stone as it falls back to the ground. You still gotta be quick though

That's a cool trick. Thanks, I'll try it.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
Click said:
ahab1372 said:

That's a cool trick. Thanks, I'll try it.

+1

Get a friend to throw the stone so you have more time to take the shot.

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
One of my better attempts. Taken with a 1Ds Mkii, ISO 400, with a 135/2 lens and flash. My camera isn't ideal for this. It focuses fine, but struggles with noise at higher ISOs.

Hmm. Forgive me...because my analytical mind just has to make sure here...but...why does the bat have a close, dark, sharply refined "drop" shadow? Isn't it the sky behind it...at....a very, very, very great distance that wouldn't actually allow a sharply defined shadow so close to the creature.......if it allowed a shadow to show up at all..................?

...I just hate to say it....but...without a VERY good explanation of the shadow....I'm calling bull! ::)

Upvote 0
It was shot at 1/160s with rear shutter curtain synch. The rear drop shadow is the movement of the flying fox before the flash kicked in. But that's the sort of problems I'm trying to work around. If I shoot at faster speeds, I can avoid this, but then I lose detail in the sky and if I shoot faster that 1/250s then I'm also stuck with HSS, and the bats are too far away for this to work effectively with the gear that I have. To counter that, I can increase ISO and decrease flash power, but increasing ISO results in more noise. Its hard to get the balance right.

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
It was shot at 1/160s with rear shutter curtain synch. The rear drop shadow is the movement of the flying fox before the flash kicked in. But that's the sort of problems I'm trying to work around. If I shoot at faster speeds, I can avoid this, but then I lose detail in the sky and if I shoot faster that 1/250s then I'm also stuck with HSS, and the bats are too far away for this to work effectively with the gear that I have. To counter that, I can increase ISO and decrease flash power, but increasing ISO results in more noise. Its hard to get the balance right.

Hmm. I guess that's a plausible explanation. Based on the actual offset of the shadow, it was moving at a vector of about 120° then...as the shadow is not directly behind, it's offset to a about a -35° angle. That seems a little odd...but, eh.

I think you could crank the ISO up more. The 1Ds II isn't that bad...it's certainly better than the 7D, despite being older, and the 7D is pretty good up to ISO 800. Also, that is indeed how clear and sharp the bats are after the flash, then that means they are easy to mask. With masking, you could clean the background noise right up! You might even want to look into PixInsight, which has some of the most advanced multi-scale noise reduction tools around, but Photoshop or LR could certainly do it as well, I mean you could completely obliterate the noise once you have the bat masked. If that's the real problem, and that shadow really is caused by flash lag with rear-curtain, then I think you could crank ISO by at least a stop, if not two, and use two stops faster shutter speed.

Upvote 0

IslanderMV

"life is for the birds"
May 1, 2012
www.bernierland.com
Here is my contribution to bats in flight. Caught this cutie near a small pond at around sunset. His flight was so fast and erratic it was very difficult to track.

60D - 100-400mm, at 190 mm, ISO 125, f5.6, 1/1000 (shutter priority)

Attachments

• bat2.jpg
    bat2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 675
Upvote 0