After the A7RII, What does the 5D4/X need to have?

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
zim said:
Would 4K compromise the design of a DSLR?
Would heat output and power consumption requirements be substantially different?
Would heat output and power consumption requirements change the r&d and production costs substantially?
1. Probably not. The a7r is pretty small to fit it in.
2. Surely. The A7RII chugs battery life.
3. Canon would have to make improvements and the prices will rise.

Upvote 0
I would be happy with the following myself, given my use cases and needs for the camera:

1) 8fps frame rate
2) 61 | 65 point all cross type AF
3) 28mp sensor (not looking for a huge resolution increase, just a reasonable one)
4) At least one stop better high ISO performance

I would be ecstatic if it also got this:

5) Two stops higher DR at ISO 100
6) Full 4k output

I would be flabbergasted if it also got the layered sensor technology. Would love that. Doubting Canon will employ that technology yet.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
jrista said:
I would be happy with the following myself, given my use cases and needs for the camera:

1) 8fps frame rate
2) 61 | 65 point all cross type AF
3) 28mp sensor (not looking for a huge resolution increase, just a reasonable one)
4) At least one stop better high ISO performance

I would be ecstatic if it also got this:

5) Two stops higher DR at ISO 100
6) Full 4k output

I would be flabbergasted if it also got the layered sensor technology. Would love that. Doubting Canon will employ that technology yet.

Pretty close to my own list. Add in metering attached to AF point similar to current 1DX. Canon also seems to be cleaning up pattern noise at low ISO (especially shadows) on the 7DII and 5Ds/r, that needs to carry forward to the 5DIV.

I am not personally interested in 4K output, but understand others are, just not on my list..

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
RLPhoto said:
zim said:
Would 4K compromise the design of a DSLR?
Would heat output and power consumption requirements be substantially different?
Would heat output and power consumption requirements change the r&d and production costs substantially?
1. Probably not. The a7r is pretty small to fit it in.
2. Surely. The A7RII chugs battery life.
3. Canon would have to make improvements and the prices will rise.

Canon are much more reserved and thoughtful about their products than Sony, hence Sony's quick adoption of cameras 4k video in cameras which overheat and the first iteration which can't even record it internally, and Canon staying clear of it in low priced equipment until the technology matures enough for large sensor 4k video to work without additional cooling.

Of course Canon got 4k recording to market in 2012 with the sensor cooled 1D C. It wasn't before 2014 that Sony bought 4k to the DSLR/ILC category with the A7S, complete with an overheating sensor and external recording. Panasonic and Samsung also joined the party in 2014.

Upvote 0
michi said:
I really wish they would split the whole video/photography business again. None of the people I know who are into photography shoot video. I don't want a compromised hybrid camera. Spend all the money and research on photography for one camera and video for the other. That's all, rant over.

I agree, I'd like a DSLR body for video without any of the photo options. If it had to have photo they could keep it exactly the same as the 5Diii and I'd be stoked.

Give me:
-Full Frame
-120fps/4k
-ND filters
-10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi and/or SDI out
-Headphone out
-2 XLR inputs / Reference audio
-Swivel screen (if removing all the buttons and making it a touch screen made it lighter fine.. otherwise, meh)
-Recording time limited by memory card only
-2 CF or 2 SD (doesn't really matter to me)
-LP-E6 X2 storage
-More DR
-Dual Pixel AF
-RAW recording
-7000 ISO video that doesn't need a denoiser
-Weigh no more than 3lbs and it could be shaped like a shoe for all I care

I'd happily hand over 5-6K for all of that.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
michi said:
I really wish they would split the whole video/photography business again. None of the people I know who are into photography shoot video. I don't want a compromised hybrid camera. Spend all the money and research on photography for one camera and video for the other. That's all, rant over.

Most of the video features built into the Canon DSLR's have no negative effect on photography. The way its implemented in camera usually requires features such as faster processing, faster storage, faster sensor read out and bigger battery capacities. I can't see those features as being negative for stills photography.

Adding features such as bulky XLR inputs, strong OLPF suited for 1080p video, or incurring the additional sales tax by breaking the 30 min video limit do detract from a stills camera. But fortunately Canon haven't added any of these to their DSLR's.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
privatebydesign said:
"After the A7RII, What does the 5D4/X need to have?"

An EF mount.

Exactly. I really could not care less what features Sony's camera of the week happens to have. I want the 5DIV to build on the many already impressive advancements contained in recent camera releases from Canon.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Any suggestions for getting pure linear data from an A7? The current raw format use non-linear encoding.
Lightroom, dxo, Silkypix, Aperture, RawTherapee, dcraw, etc.
Yes sony ARW2 format uses non-linear encoding but pretty much everyone who cares knows the encoding being used and how to convert data back to linear.

Upvote 0