An update on the Canon 2021 roadmap [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It will not be a competitor for the A9 series. The R5 already does that. The R1 will be a true heavy duty, hardcore/built like a brick outhouse allweather/all conditions workhorse. And as such will be priced substantially higher than an A9

I don't know what it's like in Australia for full-time shooters who are typically the market for 1-Series bodies (or their Nikon counterparts).

But here in the U.S. the news agencies that once issued such gear to their full-time staffers have eliminated most of those staff positions and now hire the same guys to freelance while expecting them to provide their own equipment. Pulitzer Prize winners that once held staff slots at the same employers for decades are now freelancing (or retiring) as those staff positions no longer exist.

The price difference between the Canon/Nikon 1-Series types of cameras and the Sony α9 series is substantial enough that many freelancers are going with Sony strictly on price. It's not like the α9 can't get shots that are "good enough". The latest α9 is better than anything anyone had prior to around 2012. In an era when even current events/sports/PJ photographs have become commodities that are now worth pennies on the dollar to what they were once worth, price is becoming more and more a consideration for many shooters for whom it once was not. The R5 will likely stem that tide, but only because those shooters are now buying R5s instead of α9s to use in place of the 1-Series bodies their clients no longer provide to them. Either way, the pool of professional R1 potential buyers is drying up rapidly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I hope they decide to bump Tokyo to 2024 and Paris to 2028.

I specified 23 July as that's when the rescheduled 2020 Games would open.

I wonder if there is enough demand after the Summer Games for a R1.

France/Paris has too much political clout in the IOC for that to happen. Charles Pierre de Frédy, Baron de Coubertin saw to that when he co-founded the modern Olympics.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I don't know what it's like in Australia for full-time shooters who are typically the market for 1-Series bodies (or their Nikon counterparts).

But here in the U.S. the news agencies that once issued such gear to their full-time staffers have eliminated most of those staff positions and now hire the same guys to freelance while expecting them to provide their own equipment. Pulitzer Prize winners that once held staff slots at the same employers for decades are now freelancing (or retiring) as those staff positions no longer exist.

The price difference between the Canon/Nikon 1-Series types of cameras and the Sony α9 series is substantial enough that many freelancers are going with Sony strictly on price. It's not like the α9 can't get shots that are "good enough". The latest α9 is better than anything anyone had prior to around 2012. In an era when even current events/sports/PJ photographs have become commodities that are now worth pennies on the dollar to what they were once worth, price is becoming more and more a consideration for many shooters for whom it once was not. The R5 will likely stem that tide, but only because those shooters are now buying R5s instead of α9s to use in place of the 1-Series bodies their clients no longer provide to them. Either way, the pool of professional R1 potential buyers is drying up rapidly.
Agreed. But as I said the R5 ismore than capable to deal with that sort of work. But it is the other side of things(the hardcore wildlife market- both pro and cashed up amatuer) that i think canon will also want to appeal to. And that means bomb proof. Durable. Massive battery life. Integrated grip. Made out of unobtanium so to speak.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0