Announcements Coming The First Week of September [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that photo gear related announcements from Canon will be coming the first week of September, it is expected that Canon will announce at least one mirrorless camera.</p>
<p>Other product announcements are also expected around the same time leading into Photokina, which begins September 26, 2018.</p>
<p>The full frame mirrorless camera from Canon is being described as an “EOS 5D Mark IV in  a mirrorless body” internally by at least one retail insider. We think we’re going to get more than  a mirrorless version of a two year old camera.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I left Canon for Fujifilm because I wanted to go mirrorless. But I did love my Canon and, most of all, I loved how many accessories from third party work on Canon. With Fuji, although it's a bit better now than it was (looking at you flash system), we're still stuck a little bit as to what we can use.

I was probably asleep for a while because it's the first time I read that at least one of the new mirrorless was going to be a "5D Mark IV" mirrorless camera. I kept reading it would be a 6D at most.
If that's true, then I'm looking forward to seeing what Canon will release.

Upvote 0
-pekr- said:
Is there a chance this is not FF related at all, e.g. M6 II or M5 II coming instead?

I think it's going to be perhaps the 7D3 or the 90D, maybe both.

Could be the 7D3 and a mid range FF mirrorless instead, I think they may do the flagship FF Mirrorless at Photokina.

I'm just guessing of course.....

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We think we’re going to get more than a mirrorless version of a two year old camera.

I would like to believe that too, but I'm not sure how different it will be other than what's necessary to make it mirrorless. Make no mistake, the 5D IV is a great camera and probably enough to get Canon into the full frame mirrorless game in a big way, but Canon doesn't really seem to enjoy rocking the boat for the sake of rocking the boat - only releasing a limited number of key new features at a time.

For the 5D IV to become mirrorless, it will need an EVF which could enable all sorts of things which aren't possible right now, so Canon will have their big new features to push - they may not opt to add much more than that. Considering that a 5D IV is intended to be a relatively high-performing camera, I would think maybe they'll really push the latency of the EVF and advertise it as a low latency pro-mirrorless camera - that would be very much in line with Canon's focus on usability and reliability, and it wouldn't threaten their other lines.

But again, if this is really just a 5D IV I think the real question we all want to know is will it have dual pixel raw??!! ;)

Upvote 0
-pekr- said:
Is there a chance this is not FF related at all, e.g. M6 II or M5 II coming instead?

An M5 II would be welcome. And it should be coming out by late this year or early next year if Canon intend to have their mirrorless enthusiast APS-C segment refresh cycle match the DSLR enthusiast APS-C refresh cycle. But I'd rather see them put some serious effort into delivering some extremely high-quality EF-M primes. The 32mm f/1.4 STM looks amazing, but I'm currently in the Fuji camp for my APS-C gear - and Fuji's XF selection versus Canon's EF-M? Well... Let's just say they have some work to do.

Upvote 0
amorse said:
Canon Rumors said:
We think we’re going to get more than a mirrorless version of a two year old camera.

I would like to believe that too, but I'm not sure how different it will be other than what's necessary to make it mirrorless. Make no mistake, the 5D IV is a great camera and probably enough to get Canon into the full frame mirrorless game in a big way, but Canon doesn't really seem to enjoy rocking the boat for the sake of rocking the boat - only releasing a limited number of key new features at a time.

I think that if it is going to be a MILC version of the 5DIV, then mostly the only thing it will use from the 5DIV is, going to be a sensor, and even then I doubt it. They will use new DIGIC and overall design of PCBs is going to be redesigned anyway. At least I hope so, because as a relatively new owners of the 5DIV (3 months), what we are confused about, is the really weak battery life. Like spending 15 minutes in the menu learning the stuff and battery is down by 30%. Add an EVF and you are done sooner than you move to the shooting location :)

But again, if this is really just a 5D IV I think the real question we all want to know is will it have dual pixel raw??!! ;)

What for? Has anyone really found it any useful in a practical life scenario? :)

Upvote 0
-pekr- said:
amorse said:
Canon Rumors said:

I think that if it is going to be a MILC version of the 5DIV, then mostly the only thing it will use from the 5DIV is, going to be a sensor, and even then I doubt it. They will use new DIGIC and overall design of PCBs is going to be redesigned anyway. At least I hope so, because as a relatively new owners of the 5DIV (3 months), what we are confused about, is the really weak battery life. Like spending 15 minutes in the menu learning the stuff and battery is down by 30%. Add an EVF and you are done sooner than you move to the shooting location :)

What for? Has anyone really found it any useful in a practical life scenario? :)
I'm not aware of anyone finding a really good and practical use for it yet (to be clear - I was kidding in my last post).

On your note about battery life - I've noticed the same thing on mine. I've read it is due to the touch screen: if you turn it off the problem should go away. Annoying to disable a feature I actually really like, but it's worth a shot!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canoneer said:
-pekr- said:

An M5 II would be welcome. And it should be coming out by late this year or early next year if Canon intend to have their mirrorless enthusiast APS-C segment refresh cycle match the DSLR enthusiast APS-C refresh cycle.

This would place the M5 on a two year cycle. not a 4 year. unless you meant rebel cycle. It's also pretty solidly rumored as coming this PhotoKina btw.

Canoneer said:
But I'd rather see them put some serious effort into delivering some extremely high-quality EF-M primes. The 32mm f/1.4 STM looks amazing, but I'm currently in the Fuji camp for my APS-C gear - and Fuji's XF selection versus Canon's EF-M? Well... Let's just say they have some work to do.

I have a few fuji friends, and they are relatively jealous by how small and compact my kit is versus theirs and just how good my images are out of my M5 and my 11-22 and 18-150. While they have small kits compared to DSLR full frame, my kit takes it down even more notches to what they can do. while maintaining a huge versatility gap.

without going down to m43's, IMO, the EF-M is the best kit you can assemble per pound with focal coverage, the lenses just don't sound sexy.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
tmc784 said:
“EOS 5D Mark IV in a mirrorless body” 8)
OK ! What about the lenses mount and IBIS ? ???
"Going Down" to MFT...um....I will take my extensive Olympus kit any day of the week to that limited M. I think M stands for Mess. :D (tongue in cheek)
I know we all have our own priorities....but the image quality from my EM1 II and Penn F's is GREAT for 90% of my needs....Not when it comes to my Astro Images....but the M is missing that by a mile, too....so that is for a capable FF that takes the best Astro Oriented Lenses....
All the cameras these days are "good"!

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
amorse said:
Canon Rumors said:

For the 5D IV to become mirrorless, it will need an EVF which could enable all sorts of things which aren't possible right now, so Canon will have their big new features to push - they may not opt to add much more than that. Considering that a 5D IV is intended to be a relatively high-performing camera, I would think maybe they'll really push the latency of the EVF and advertise it as a low latency pro-mirrorless camera - that would be very much in line with Canon's focus on usability and reliability, and it wouldn't threaten their other lines.

Agreed. I also question whether we're going to get a lot more than a 5DIV in a mirrorless body. Judging by Canon's track record, they may not include anything more than they have to- push the EVF tech and autofocus. I'd buy if it had the following:

Great EVF
Weather sealing
Dual card slots
DPAF (obviously)
New 4K codec with no crop (FF) and DPAF in 4K video
At least 120fps FHD
At least 1 new, lightweight kit lens and at least 1 fast prime

Those are bare minimum requirements for me, but realistically, Canon will more likely implement a 1.7x crop on the 4K just like the 5D even though it will be a huge mistake. Despite the realism, I will try to think positively here ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that photo gear related announcements from Canon will be coming the first week of September, it is expected that Canon will announce at least one mirrorless camera.

But it might be a crop mirrorless camera (in September). No FF listed above. This one above could be the M5 II and/or M6 II.

Canon Rumors said:
The full frame mirrorless camera from Canon is being described as an “EOS 5D Mark IV in a mirrorless body” internally by at least one retail insider. We think we’re going to get more than a mirrorless version of a two year old camera.

Color me skeptical on a 5D "mark 4.5" sort of feature set. My guess (for a 5D-level mirrorless, there will be other models someday) = general parity with the 5D4 in a smaller package can be yours for a little north of $3k. Perhaps the current 5D4 specs with the following additions: tilty-flippy touch + possibly a higher burst rate + possibly slightly better video features (less 4K crop?). I do not believe Canon will dramatically one-up the specs over the SLR market slot this mirrorless is spec'd around.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
andrei1989 said:
anyone else excited for the 32mm EF-M? :D
hopefully i won't be too disappointed by the price...
maybe i'll even preorder..

Can't be that expensive. Disregarding the older pricey EF-S USM zoom lenses that Canon has apparently decided to not continue designing, the priciest EF-S and EF-M lenses are in the $599-699 range. I doubt it will cost more than that.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
amorse said:
Canon Rumors said:

Sure, but does anyone really think that Canon will go conservative again with the rear LCD on the 5-series?

D850 has a tilty-flippy. A7R3 has a tilty-flippy. Everything in the industry save the sideline sports rigs have a tilty-flippy now.

It's a market expectation at this price point now, or (conversely) it's a T on Canon's SWOT analysis if they don't offer one. I think we've passed the inflection point where enough folks want one + those who don't have heard zero horror stories that they will break >> those who still insist the rigid screen is still best. I flipped on this issue a few years back and I imagine many folks here have as well.

So I think a tilty-flippy is happening 100% on a 5-series mirrorless (if such happens) and the 5D5. The 5DS2 possibly may not get one if they are still recycling 5D parts into that design, but we'll see.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
-pekr- said:
amorse said:

I believe that was a joke.

That said, some folks have backdoored a way in post-processing to get an +1 stop base ISO DR out of it on the 5D4. It apparently takes work: you need third party tools to handle the files.

It's not organic file latitude you can just manipulate with sliders in ACR/LR. But it would be pretty damn cool if someone could make it so.

- A

Upvote 0