Canon Announces the EOS M100 Mirrorless Camera

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Maximilian said:
scoobysnapstory said:
... but its missing my fave hot shoe ...
Talys said:
... no shoe is a deal breaker ...
ScottyP said:
... a simple hotshot-less P&S ...
Hi guys!

The predecessor (M10) didn't have a hot shoe and if you need one, you can buy the old M3 or the M6 - though more expensive.
But that is the Canon marketing strategy and you can accept it or leave it.

It baffles my mind how people can't seem to fit in their heads that an entry-level camera for casual shooters is an entry-level camera for casual shooters. Seriously guys, not everything is aimed at your demographic.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
scoobysnapstory said:
Talys said:
ScottyP said:
Hi guys!

The predecessor (M10) didn't have a hot shoe and if you need one, you can buy the old M3 or the M6 - though more expensive.

If M100 comes with hot shoe...

Where is the EVF??? Canon you are such a loser.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
My main question is how much does the body only cost? Will it be available?
If you need EVF you can have M5. On hot shoe, you can repeat the same sentence for M6 although I preferred it had one similar to the original M. At the same time, I don't get all the nagging about what needs a larger body and already had been offered.

This is a smaller body with the same sensor as M6 and M5 and at least $300 cheaper than M6 when you compare 15-45 kits.

I'm thinking to get a Nikon D850 if I want anything serious. For a pocket camera, I may consider it for my M kit if it's considerably cheaper than its big brothers.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
7DmkI said:

It doesn't.

7DmkI said:
Takes one to know one? ;)

What I was trying to say was:

If ever the M100 comes with hot shoe, the forum posts will be "where is the EVF?"

There were a lot of negative comments every time a new camera came out - look at the 6dii lately. Both the M100 and 6Dii are entry level cameras for its class, so there must be some differences between them and their big brothers.

Enjoy the camera if you decided to buy one. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
7DmkI said:
neuroanatomist said:
7DmkI said:

It doesn't.

7DmkI said:
Takes one to know one? ;)

What I was trying to say was:

If ever the M100 comes with hot shoe, the forum posts will be "where is the EVF?"

There were a lot of negative comments every time a new camera came out - look at the 6dii lately. Both the M100 and 6Dii are entry level cameras for its class, so there must be some differences between them and their big brothers.

Enjoy the camera if you decided to buy one. ;)

Apologies, I misunderstood.

I ordered the M6 after the M100 specs came out. ;)

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
Maximilian said:
scoobysnapstory said:
Talys said:
ScottyP said:
Hi guys!

It baffles my mind how people can't seem to fit in their heads that an entry-level camera for casual shooters is an entry-level camera for casual shooters. Seriously guys, not everything is aimed at your demographic.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

I read this thread and wonder the exact same thing. It would be like me getting worked up over minivans or subcompacts. Or being upset that some company released a Chromebook I wasn't interested in.

Upvote 0
bf said:
neuroanatomist said:
I'm thinking the same way to get M6 or even M5 specifically if they do not offer a body only option.
Being said, if a gray market seller offers it for 200-300 I'll get this instead!

I will be going to Asia this fall and will most likely grab a M6 to replace my M. I have seen M6 quoting at less than US$550 body only

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
7DmkI said:
bf said:
neuroanatomist said:
I'm thinking the same way to get M6 or even M5 specifically if they do not offer a body only option.
Being said, if a gray market seller offers it for 200-300 I'll get this instead!

I will be going to Asia this fall and will most likely grab a M6 to replace my M. I have seen M6 quoting at less than US$550 body only

In case you don't wish to wait:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-M6-EF-M-Digital-Camera-Black-Body-Only-Multi-BNIB/122501042010?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:

out of curiosity: what triggered your decision in the end?

I am still undecided between M5 and M100, but leaning towards M5

A. "EVF and full control layout" = M5
... but package is bigger than I like and I have not found a suitable bag/carrying solution [LowePro Dashpoint dilemma :p];
M6 not really an option to me, since it is not much smaller than M5 and not cheaper with external EVF

B. "Smallest possible package" = M100
But no EVF (not even optional), meek battery and lack of control points / nerfed UI and no flash shoe ...

:-\

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:

out of curiosity: what triggered your decision in the end?

I am still undecided between M5 and M100, but leaning towards M5

A. "EVF and full control layout" = M5
... but package is bigger than I like and I have not found a suitable bag/carrying solution [LowePro Dashpoint dilemma :p];
M6 not really an option to me, since it is not much smaller than M5 and not cheaper with external EVF

B. "Smallest possible package" = M100
But no EVF (not even optional), meek battery and lack of control points / nerfed UI and no flash shoe ...

M5 is too big, for me. 2 cm taller and 1.5 cm thicker than the M6, for me that's too big for a travel/backup camera; the M5 is closer to the SL2 than the M6 in size. So for me, it was a choice between the M6 and the M100.

The M100 is really not much smaller than the M6 – it's only ~3mm less wide (specs say 4mm, but the M6 strap lugs are a little bigger), the M100 is only 1 mm shorter, and it's only ~3 mm less deep (specs say close to 1 cm, but most of the M6 added depth is the forward-protruding contoured grip, which doesn't add to depth with a lens attached).

I went with the M6 for the better ergonomics (more comfortable grip), better controls (a bona fide mode dial), hotshoe (if I need a flash, I prefer the bounce capability of the 270EX II), and availability as a kit with the M18-150 (I have no desire for the M15-45).

As for the 'Dashpoint dilemma', that is an issue only for the M6 + M18-150 combo (or + M55-200). The M6 + M11-22 (or M18-55) fits in the Dashpoint 30. The M6 + M22/2 fits in the Dashpoint 20. Would be a bigger dilemma with the M5, of course – maybe the M5 + M22/2 would go in Dashpoint 30, but otherwise I think the Dashpoint series is out with the M5. The M100 + M18-150 would fit in the Dashpoint 30, though (or so I assume, since the M/M2 + M18-150 fits). Actually, the M6 combo barely fits in the Dashpoint 30 – the strap lugs put a little strain on the zipper, but it closes. That could be useful for packing it in a backpack, I think, but not for belt access. For that purpose, I ordered a Lowepro Format TLZ-10 which looks to be 'just right' for the M6 + M18-150.

Since my most-used M lens is the 11-22, the M6 combo in the Dashpoint 30 will work well for me. The M18-150 fits nicely in the Dashpoint 20.

Upvote 0