Canon EOS-1D C Price Drops Coming to North America

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>After <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/01/the-canon-eos-1d-c-coming-down-in-price-again/" target="_blank">the report that the Canon EOS-1D C had officially dropped in price in Hong Kong</a>, we’ve been asked a few times if the same is going to happen in North America and Europe.</p>
<p>We’re told that something on pricing will happen on February 1, 2015 in the United States, there was no word from elsewhere around the globe. We weren’t told what the drop in price would be, but to “hold off buying a 1D-C until at least February 1, 2015″.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The price drop on this is long overdue. With the GH4 and a7s out there, this camera gets rendered virtually unfeasible at $10k+. If you really want a DSLR/compact cinema grade camera with 4k, the Sony with the Shogun and a metabones adapter is $4500-$5000 and you're manual focusing mostly for that sort of work anyway. Plus, with that combo you have the enormous convenience of being able to record directly to ProRes. If Canon gets this to a street price of $5-6k it becomes a viable option. If the price drop brings it to $8k... well they still won't sell very many, at least not what they would like to. Canon just frankly doesn't seem too interested in making real competitive strides in the prosumer 4k Cinema marketplace to date. It took Magic Lantern to make the 5 series truly a player. It's a shame too, all they really need to do is make a genuinely CLEAN HDMI out on their bodies and it would be game over, especially with DPAF. I know they want to "protect" their EOS Cinema line, but they can't cut off their nose to spite their face. Sony sells lots of alphas for cinema/video and they still sell lots of FS7 to the professional users. I just don't see why Canon doesn't think they can do the same. They're the ones with all the glass.

Upvote 0
I don't see them dropping this below $8k. They'll probably set it there and think that it'll be good competition for the FS7. I absolutely LOVE the 1Dc, but the only way I would ever consider buying is if the price dropped in half, but that's almost guaranteed not to happen since the 1Dx is still sitting at $6,800.00.

Canon made a really big goof with their pricing systems, and now they're paying for it.

Upvote 0
DanThePhotoMan said:
I don't see them dropping this below $8k. They'll probably set it there and think that it'll be good competition for the FS7. I absolutely LOVE the 1Dc, but the only way I would ever consider buying is if the price dropped in half, but that's almost guaranteed not to happen since the 1Dx is still sitting at $6,800.00.

Canon made a really big goof with their pricing systems, and now they're paying for it.

Canon is not paying for it, it's the customers that are buying it are paying for it :)

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Upvote 0
sanj said:
It feels bad to people who paid big bucks for it. I know it is how it is but feels bit unfair.

I fully understand your pain, going from over US$ 12,000 to 6 or 7,000 is one hell of a drop.

Does make me wonder just how much more Canon would have made globally if they had just sold the 1D C as the 1D X for a thousand or two more than it came out at the time.

Would I have bought the 1D X, with 1D C specs, for a little bit more than I paid for "just" my 1D X without the 4K video? Most probably. But to me the 1D C was never worth 2X 1DXs.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I never saw the point of the 1D C. Why did canon not put 4k just into all their C video cameras? And sell a C100 wirh 4k at 9999 or less? C300 and C500 higher price but also fully competitive ...

Why all that obsession with putting high end video into an unsuited for DSLR camera?

it's about the stills capability. The 1DC is a 1DX, the C100/300 do not have any photography features of the 1dx beast. The 1DC idea is to be a hybrid of photography/videography cameras.

Another point I'd like to make, for 5 years, all of us video shooters have used a Canon DSLR at some point, it's becone second nature for us to shoot video with them, and for beginners who learnt shooting video on these (MANY) they actually feel better than traditional video cameras.

Upvote 0