Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

we live in an era of entitled people, demanding they need to be served the best, 20mp was good yesterday but its not good today in their minds everything must keep getting better, here to read all the angry entitled comments as well :p

To be fair there seems to be a pretty big segment of shooters looking for 10fps and the 30mp range with top notch autofocus. It certainly seems like that is more than achievable. I would be interested in that rig as well. It is not being entitled I don't think. It just seems like a reasonable spec list. Maybe it is not that much in demand, but it seems like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
there's DPAF in 4k30p, just not RAW and 4K 60p.

it's not a case of "removing it" .. the problem is the processing of the sensor with DPAF. it's .. just a crazy amount of processing to do when the sensor is running flat out as it is. to do 4k60p and DPAF the sensor is actually running flat out at 120+ fps.
Jeah thats probably true. But sadly these are VERY bad news for me :-( The combination of 60fps and DPAF on the 1DX II is nothing but amazing. Using it on a gimbal is nothing but a dream. A true fullframe and Canon RAW would have been a dream of a camera. But this is now a tight spot for me. I may as well keep my 1DX II and S1H... :-(

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
DPAF for me is much more important than the no crop. I can compensate crop with a wider lens, simple as that. But having no DPAF oh boy. Then the only FF option with DPAF is the Canon C500. Other than that you have the Panasonic S1H Full Frame that has Auto-focus in 4k60. Not as good as DPAF but very usable.
Jeah I agree. The 1,8 crop of the 5D is unnacaptable though (and the rolling shutter is even way more of a problem). The 1,3 crop on the 1D is just fine. No DPAF on the 1DX III would be a real disapointment. I was hoping for IBIS... what I got is no DPAF AND no ibis...

Do you realy find the AF on the S1H okay? I currently only use it with adapted canon lenses and the AF is realy realy terrible, even for photography... What lenses do you use?

Upvote 0
While it might have an improved AF tracking, that's not all that matters for birding; resolution is also important and 20MP is pretty lame, if you consider the need for crop and all bird photographers have that need.
So lets see if I got this right; currently, as a Canon bird photographer I can have:
  • excellent AF and speed, with the 1DX series, but not enough resolution
  • acceptable resolution, OK AF but not enough burst speed with the 5D Mark IV
  • excellent AF, acceptable resolution but terrible EVF blackout with the EOS-R
This is in 2020; really, Canon?
Don't forget about 1dx level autofocus and tracking, but with an aps-c body with awkward handling once you add adapters, and more or less the same EVF blackout as the EOS-R while capturing at much higher frame rates for short buffer filling bursts with the M6II.

I've read all sorts of people who have had wonderful experiences using the m6ii for birding, except for the fact that you can't take it out in inclement weather and/or rough conditions, and the awkward handling because of the small size. That's why I suspect Canon is sandbagging this years first half releases - I wouldn't be surprised if the RII and maybe even the R High Rez had modes that meet or exceed the 1dxIII, with the exception of being rugged. They want to sell high end RF glass, and artificially keeping the (potentially) last 1d series ef camera better than the RF versions is not the way to do that. Next years 1d hybrid viewfinder ef/rf monster will blow this one away too.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
we live in an era of entitled people, demanding they need to be served the best, 20mp was good yesterday but its not good today in their minds everything must keep getting better, here to read all the angry entitled comments as well :p
Well, its a NEW camera for probably nearly 7000$ (+another 1000$ you will need for new cards). So why would these "entitled people" not expect some noteable improvements over yesterday?
In the resolution and the missing DPAF I see a step back, certainly not a step forward...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Skimboard athlete from Portugal.
Jan 3, 2020
Jeah I agree. The 1,8 crop of the 5D is unnacaptable though (and the rolling shutter is even way more of a problem). The 1,3 crop on the 1D is just fine. No DPAF on the 1DX III would be a real disapointment. I was hoping for IBIS... what I got is no DPAF AND no ibis...

Do you realy find the AF on the S1H okay? I currently only use it with adapted canon lenses and the AF is realy realy terrible, even for photography... What lenses do you use?

It depends on what you consider ok. I wouldn't use S1H's autofocus for weddings or for filming an interview, but but behind the scenes stuff and other run and gun scenarios where the final product is intended for behind the scenes it's ok. I've been using the 1d x ii in 2019 and now the EOS R. If 1d x iii has no DPAF in 4k60/50 then there's no reason to upgrade.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It depends on what you consider ok. I wouldn't use S1H's autofocus for weddings or for filming an interview, but but behind the scenes stuff and other run and gun scenarios where the final product is intended for behind the scenes it's ok. I've been using the 1d x ii in 2019 and now the EOS R. If 1d x iii has no DPAF in 4k60/50 then there's no reason to upgrade.
Hm okay, what lenses do you use on the S1H?

Oh, realy, you moved from the 1DXII to the EOS R? I found the EOS R to be quite nice for photos, but for videos the rolling shutter was pretty insane... didnt you find that to be a huge problem?

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Jan 3, 2020

Oh, realy, you moved from the 1DXII to the EOS R? I found the EOS R to be quite nice for photos, but for videos the rolling shutter was pretty insane... didnt you find that to be a huge problem?

I didn't move from 1dx ii to the EOS R. I just need to have multiple cameras for jobs that require multi-camera shooting and I rely on autofocus because I film a lot of dancing videos and musical concerts, and believe me, DPAF is your best friend in these case scenarios. I do use two additional GH5's in MF when I know there's going to be a lot of action in a fixed position of the stage, but for tracking shots, Canon is the best. So I use the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0

pauloancarvalho

Jan 3, 2020

Sorry, I forgot that last question. I don't find the rolling shutter a problem at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I didn't move from 1dx ii to the EOS R. I just need to have multiple cameras for jobs that require multi-camera shooting and I rely on autofocus because I film a lot of dancing videos and musical concerts, and believe me, DPAF is your best friend in these case scenarios. I do use two additional GH5's in MF when I know there's going to be a lot of action in a fixed position of the stage, but for tracking shots, Canon is the best. So I use the best of both worlds.
Ah okay, I see, that makes sense.
We too use the GH5 alongside the 1DX II and I must say, the colors match realy great. The colors of the GH5 are realy beautiful (especialy compared to the sony, which is still a mess :-D) I am already excited for the next projects with the S1H :) The DPAF indeed is an incredible great tool, thats why I am so shocked that the new 1DX III is said to not have it... still hard to belive for me an a dealbreaker.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
20MP was never enough. We wanted more 3 years ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0