Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Absolutely no chance, take it from me ..a Canon user long term who still owns Canon prime lenses and 1DX II and EOS R and Sony A9II , the A9II leaves Canon and Nikon for dead and in complete silence. I can't imagine trying to take live view pics with any enthusiasm on the 1DXIII , get real :rolleyes:

The A9 II can only do 10fps with its mechanical shutter, the 1DX III can do 16fps mechanical shutter and 20fps mechanical in live view. The 1DX III will shoot over 1k RAW photos before it hits its buffer, the a9 II can only do 300. The 1DX III can also do 5.5k 60p RAW 12 bit video and 4Kp60 video at 4:2:2 10-bit in Log, the A9 II can’t do any of that. Shall I continue? This thing wipes the floor with the a9 II lol. Thanks for playing, buh bye now.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
From DPReview, this shot is at ISO 16000 (likely direct to JPEG), but looks pretty good in terms of noise.

DPReview sports pic

Same here for a concert photo at ISO 16000

Concert photo
Those are jpgs with noise reduction applied by the camera. I thought they looked good too, but then I took a closer look. There's a fair amount of smearing in the details from the noise reduction. I'm waiting to see some raw files to see if the lower noise is real or just noise reduction software.

Upvote 0
Does the energy sipping properties of the new body negate the need for a backup battery on most occasions? On the 1DXii I always carry a backup, but have only used if when shooting a lot of shots over a very long day. I understand it is always nice to have redundancy, but if someone had a 1DXii and 1DXiii then seems like one backup battery would be sufficient.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I will admit I am not a technical guy, but if I have two files with the same aspect one is 20mp and the other is 24mp are you saying I cannot print 20% larger at 300dpi with the 24mp file?
I will admit I am not a technical guy, but if I have two files with the same aspect one is 20mp and the other is 24mp are you saying I cannot print 20% larger at 300dpi with the 24mp file?
In landscape the 20 MP file is 5373 pixels wide, the 24 MP file is 6000 pixels wide. Divide them both by 300 and you get 17.91 inches vs 20 inches wide print. Not a lot of difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In landscape the 20 MP file is 5373 pixels wide, the 24 MP file is 6000 pixels wide. Divide them both by 300 and you get 17.91 inches vs 20 inches wide print. Not a lot of difference.
Or another way to look at it is that on 19" paper, allowing an 18.75" image width, you can print the 20MP shot at 286dpi and the 24MP photo at 320dpi (or crop a bit and still print at 300).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If this is true, Canon has clearly shut down their DSLR development dept.
Just a very dissapointing update on the mark II.

I have spoken to resellers and the numbers are shocking. 90% less pre-order sales on this mark III compared to the mark II.
So either everybody is waiting for what 2020 will bring on the mirrorless Pro side, or most of Canon Pro users are gone to Sony.

Who on earth is willing to pay 6,5k for this? Not me for sure and lots of colleagues with me..

Or most of the pro users that pre-ordered 1D X Mark II bodies in 2016 are no longer able to afford upgrading in the business climate of 2020? They've either moved on to other careers/specialties or are now working as freelancers for pennies on the dollar compared to what they were making as staff photographers.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Meh, I am not buying a Nikon. They have their own issues. I don't think the camera is crippled. I just dislike their decision on resolution, but I suspect it was based off of measured decisions and not due to tech issues or crippling the camera. Overall is sounds like an excellent upgrade. It could have been perfect (for me).

I love my 5d4 but objectively the D850 was / is a better camera. It didn't move the needle for Nikon. Their D5 probably won't either.

I think you mean their D6. The D5 came out in 2016 around the same time as the 1D X Mark II.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I presume if Sony was willing to sell them the A9II sensor, then Nikon would be offering 24Mp, 20 fps in live view.

Sony's sensor design division and Sony's sensor fabrication division are separate entities with separate costs involved. Nikon has not bought any Sony *designed* sensors for several years. All of Nikon's latest sensors are designed by Nikon and fabricated by Sony (or other sensor fabs). They're not "Sony" sensors.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Being professional was not the point. The point was that if you have a DSLR you are kind of stuck with it untill the newer version comes out. With mirrorless bodies, firmware updates can add new functions and not only bugfixes.

Hmmm. When firmware ver. 2.x was released for the original 7D, it gave several new functions, including in-camera raw → jpeg conversion (after the fact) as well as in-camera cropping to go along with shooting improvements.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Sony's sensor design division and Sony's sensor fabrication division are separate entities with separate costs involved. Nikon has not bought any Sony *designed* sensors for several years. All of Nikon's latest sensors are designed by Nikon and fabricated by Sony (or other sensor fabs). They're not "Sony" sensors.

As I understand it, they (in this case, Nikon) are given the specs of the Sony sensor architecture and they then decide what 'bells and whistles' they want, and what priorites/compromises they want to make on features and performance. I don't think they as Sony to develop/make a sensor from the ground up. If I am correct, then they are using Sony technology and are limited by what Sony offers to them.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. When firmware ver. 2.x was released for the original 7D, it gave several new functions, including in-camera raw → jpeg conversion (after the fact) as well as in-camera cropping to go along with shooting improvements.
Thanks, did not know that. I do not own a 7d body. Seems that my assumption is not 100% correct.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
As I understand it, they (in this case, Nikon) are given the specs of the Sony sensor architecture and they then decide what 'bells and whistles' they want, and what priorites/compromises they want to make on features and performance. I don't think they as Sony to develop/make a sensor from the ground up. If I am correct, then they are using Sony technology and are limited by what Sony offers to them.

The point is, no Nikon camera is getting the same sensor that Sony cameras are getting, and none have since around 2012. My original comment was in response to a suggestion that the Nikon D6 would have the same sensor as the Sony α9II. That's not going to happen.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Being professional was not the point. The point was that if you have a DSLR you are kind of stuck with it untill the newer version comes out. With mirrorless bodies, firmware updates can add new functions and not only bugfixes.
An early firmware update for the 1D X added the ability to autofocus at f/8.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
1-series bodies have not had AI Focus AF, just One Shot and Servo. I suspect Canon knows how well AI Focus works, and thus omitted it from the 1-series.

Who said anything about AI Focus AF in the 1-Series? It's Canon's only previous stab at an AF system that auto-selects AF mode based on information collected by the AF sensor. My guess is that Canon left it out of the 1-Series because 1-Series buyers/users knew how well it does not work. Hopefully the increased processing power available in contemporary cameras will allow the new AF case auto-select to work as intended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Eye Detect AF requires dual-pixel AF which is only available in Live View with the mirror up. (That's also why mirrorless cameras can do eye-detect AF all the time. No mirror, DPAF 100% of the time.)

With the mirror down and using the optical viewfinder, the more traditional D-SLR style (not DPAF) AF system is used. Apparently that non-DPAF system has been updated to allow face and head tracking, but it's still not DPAF and won't be able to do eye-detect AF. Though as stated, eye-detect AF is of course available in Live View with the mirror up.

@Michael Clark

This was just some background for those not as familiar with the difference between how AF works in mirrored vs mirrorless cameras. (I'm just posting because I saw your "haha" icon and I wasn't sure if my original post came off as trying to be funny?) I think it's an important distinction for those that are interested in Eye AF to know that it only works in Live View, and not through the OVF.

Upvote 0