Canon EOS M200 coming soon

And if that turns out to be the case...then Canon will discontinue it at that time. In the meantime, though, they will have made a good deal of money off of it filling a need that a cheapass smartphone doesn't--yet--fill.
In the meantime Canon will make a good deal of money off of milking camera snobs for profit using cheap-ass tech that provides nothing that a phone can't do better, faster, and cheaper.
Camera snobs are always the last people to get it. I watched as camera snobs claimed that AF would never replace manual focus pros in the film era. I was there there as camera snobs claimed that digital cameras would never beat analog (and these dingbats are still out there), I was there as the video world claimed that AF would never replace a focus puller (now they are couching all their words in fear of the future). Camera snobs are always the LAST people to get it. They will be there clinging to their egos as the power company shuts down the lights and no one in the world cares what they think.
Smartphones have already replaced the overwhelming majority of what these small cameras are used for. And they often do it better. Canon won't stop releasing incremental updates, not because the new cameras offer valuable functions, but because camera snobs believe they are valuable. Canon will happily separate suckers from their money. And I do not blame them. But they are not getting my money for nothing.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
In the meantime Canon will make a good deal of money off of milking camera snobs for profit using cheap-ass tech that provides nothing that a phone can't do better, faster, and cheaper.
Camera snobs are always the last people to get it. I watched as camera snobs claimed that AF would never replace manual focus pros in the film era. I was there there as camera snobs claimed that digital cameras would never beat analog (and these dingbats are still out there), I was there as the video world claimed that AF would never replace a focus puller (now they are couching all their words in fear of the future). Camera snobs are always the LAST people to get it. They will be there clinging to their egos as the power company shuts down the lights and no one in the world cares what they think.
Smartphones have already replaced the overwhelming majority of what these small cameras are used for. And they often do it better. Canon won't stop releasing incremental updates, not because the new cameras offer valuable functions, but because camera snobs believe they are valuable. Canon will happily separate suckers from their money. And I do not blame them. But they are not getting my money for nothing.

I have a phone and love it and would be happy to have better phone cameras with multiple focal lengths and hope one day they will be good enough to replace and 1 inch compact.

But compared to APS-C the IQ is still night and day difference, except for the best of lighting conditions.
Let's not talk about low light performance, interchangeable lenses, flashes, ergonomics, speed etc, etc.
So i will keep buying and using dedicated cameras and lenses for a long time.

Of course, camera companies could and should offer more and there is no excuse for example why a phone JPEG looks more pleasant than an out of camera jpeg in many cases. Canon could have released at least 2-3 more primes for the M and 1-2 F4 zooms at least. Or added even a cheap EVF to the $1000 M6. But adding more features won't save the low end market from phones.

Phones are eating the market not because they are better - they are much worse in most ways - but because of convenience and they are good enough for casual situations.

Camera companies cannot do anything if someone is happy with the IQ of a phone and images resized to web use. Those users won't care if everything is a mush on the picture when viewed at 100%, they just want to record a memory. And they won't buy a separate camera even if it's a Nikon D850 in a pocketable size.

So probably enthusiast and PRO market will survive, they rest will go to the phones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You keep using the word 'snob', but the snobbiest attitude here seems to be your own. The idea that people are buying M series cameras for reasons other than that they suit them best is pretty snobbish for a start. The idea that people who don't find smartphone image quality to be as good as APS-C are doing so because of an attitude problem rather than because sensor and lens size make a difference to IQ is also a form of sobbery - essentially you think you know best, that your opinion is the truth, and anyone dissenting is stupid. That's as pure an evocation of snobbery as I can think of.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
You keep using the word 'snob', but the snobbiest attitude here seems to be your own. The idea that people are buying M series cameras for reasons other than that they suit them best is pretty snobbish for a start. The idea that people who don't find smartphone image quality to be as good as APS-C are doing so because of an attitude problem rather than because sensor and lens size make a difference to IQ is also a form of sobbery - essentially you think you know best, that your opinion is the truth, and anyone dissenting is stupid. That's as pure an evocation of snobbery as I can think of.

Very well said and totally agree.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
"using cheap-ass tech that provides nothing that a phone can't do better, faster, and cheaper "

What does a phone better? Image details, high ISO, wide angle, macro or telephoto shooting? Ergonomics? AF tracking?
Changeable lenses? Should i say more?
A: it is always on you and ready to shoot. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"wide angle, macro or telephoto shooting?
Changeable lenses?
Covered.
iphone-slr-mount-1982.jpg

:p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Really happy that Canon is continuing to improve Canon M bodies. I wish they would add more high quality native lenses for the system. At the present time there is only the 50mm 1.4 comes close to professional level quality. The rest with the exception of the 3mm f2 pancake lens are cheap kit l lenses that do not do justice to the quality of the Canon M's new sensors and chips.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Really happy that Canon is continuing to improve Canon M bodies. I wish they would add more high quality native lenses for the system. At the present time there is only the 50mm 1.4 comes close to professional level quality. The rest with the exception of the 3mm f2 pancake lens are cheap kit l lenses that do not do justice to the quality of the Canon M's new sensors and chips.

Unless there's a whole raft of M lenses I am unaware of (possible but unlikely), there is no 50mm prime for the M series. Nor is there a 3mm prime. Could you have meant the 32mm (which is probably the best M prime lens) and the 22mm (a pancake)?

Aside from that, I tend to agree, it'd be nice if there were more lenses, even some higher-end ones. (I suspect in order for that to happen Canon will have to break with their prior pattern and create lenses with a larger diameter.) This is true especially if all APS-C is going to be M-mount somewhere down the road (maybe, maybe not, who outside of Canon knows?).

Mitigating this, of course, is the fact that you can use your EF and EF-S lenses with an adapter. You don't get much size savings, but you do get the new sensor, etc.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Looks like it still has the M5 / 80D sensor... Or at least they make no mention of it being new or giving uncropped 4K as they did with the M6 II / 90D. Funny enough, the M200 has 4k 24p (And nothing else for non-timelapse 4k). Superior trolling right there. Maybe Canon isn't run by the out of touch old folks like many say, but by S rank meme gods?

Specs: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...s/mirrorless/eos-m200-ef-m-15-45mm-is-stm-kit

Upvote 0