Canon EOS R body with more than 75mp on the horizon [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I used your own formula, i.e. when we double the number of pixels, the resolution gets multiplied by the square root of 2. So the factor is sqrt(2)/2.
If you used my formula, you misapplied it. I wrote that "The 21 mpx sensor has 6.4 µ pixels, the 50.6 has 4.14 and so the expected increase in spatial resolution is 6.4/4.14 = 1.54."
My formula, which is simply that spatial resolution scales as the sqrt of the pixels per same size sensor, gives the same result within rounding errors: the expected increase is sqrt(50.6/21) = 1.55.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The best "bridge" camera by a country mile, or maybe 10, is the Sony RX10IV. Its 24-600mm equivalent lens is simply incredible - it resolves at 600mm as well as does my 100-400mm II on my 5DIV and is really, really sharp at 24mm. And, it has the A9's AF system and can AF and AE at 24 fps in continuous AF mode. It is also about the same size as a 5D and is nice to hold.
Just looked at the specs... WOW!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If you used my formula, you misapplied it. I wrote that "The 21 mpx sensor has 6.4 µ pixels, the 50.6 has 4.14 and so the expected increase in spatial resolution is 6.4/4.14 = 1.54."
My formula, which is simply that spatial resolution scales as the sqrt of the pixels per same size sensor, gives the same result within rounding errors: the expected increase is sqrt(50.6/21) = 1.55.

Yeah I probably misread it. Yes given pixel sizes p1 and p2, and corresponding megapixel counts M1 and M2, pixel size ratio p1/p2 = sqrt(M2/M1)

Upvote 0
I just love the extra reach and detail the 5DSR gives me with my lenses. I have just downloaded and processed this pair taken with the 100-400mm II on the 5DSR of a yellow-billed kite on our safari. The 5DSR focusses very quickly in AI Servo as you track. The bare 400mm lens on the 5DIV gives similar reach to a 560mm on the 5DIV but the wider field of view makes BIF easier to track frame.

I AM VERY VERY IMPRESSED by these Raptor photos....This is TRULY what photography is all about!

Reduce your highlights by 20% to get your blue sky and clouds back, boost shadows by 20% to show more detail on and under the wings, and add a tad more saturation and contrast and then print out at 24 by 24 inches on your Canon or Epson wide-printer using the 2400 dpi setting using Error Diffusion and set the colour rendering to Perceptural-based Colour Render (to make your image resemble what's in the monitor -- Make sure you have the proper colour-matching drivers for your wide printer installed on your computer). Use a EITHER a high-clay content glossy photo paper OR use a matte/semi-gloss PHOTO-PAPER and watch just how good this print will look when framed! If you print on actual Canvas at 48 by 48 inches, the error diffusion will make it look like a photo-realist painting AND in my opinion, is actually very sellable at an art show for some premium prices.

KUDOS and GOOD JOB on these SPECTACULAR photos!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I AM VERY VERY IMPRESSED by these Raptor photos....This is TRULY what photography is all about!

Reduce your highlights by 20% to get your blue sky and clouds back, boost shadows by 20% to show more detail on and under the wings, and add a tad more saturation and contrast and then print out at 24 by 24 inches on your Canon or Epson wide-printer using the 2400 dpi setting using Error Diffusion and set the colour rendering to Perceptural-based Colour Render (to make your image resemble what's in the monitor -- Make sure you have the proper colour-matching drivers for your wide printer installed on your computer). Use a EITHER a high-clay content glossy photo paper OR use a matte/semi-gloss PHOTO-PAPER and watch just how good this print will look when framed! If you print on actual Canvas at 48 by 48 inches, the error diffusion will make it look like a photo-realist painting AND in my opinion, is actually very sellable at an art show for some premium prices.

KUDOS and GOOD JOB on these SPECTACULAR photos!
Thanks Harry and your advice on processing.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
RTARD would suit the"wishers" who need soooooo much more than whats on offer and will 'tell' Canon that they "need" moreof what 'Nikon' are doing - so right" because their cat pictures have crappy dynamic range
Please be nice and not call people names, or we will be forced to send the kitty of Christmas Cheer to visit you. :)

Attachments

• 092B1343-9DE1-4FB8-85AD-44CCC3368BD5.jpeg
    092B1343-9DE1-4FB8-85AD-44CCC3368BD5.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm sure this camera will be nice for some people but Sony 16 bit sensor is calling for me. No more bracketing would be a game changer for me
More bit depth does not in itself produce a wider dynamic range. Cutting the pie into more pieces does not make the pie bigger.

Upvote 0
"....More bit depth does not in itself produce a wider dynamic range. Cutting the pie into more pieces does not make the pie bigger....."

---

YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON IT'S GLARING HEAD !!!!!

It's almost all about PHOTOSITE SIZE IN MICRONS!!!

The Canon 1DxMk2 is about 6.3 or 6.4 microns so it's image quality in terms of noise and low light capability is going to be pretty darn good! The Sony A7s2 has about an 11 to 12 micron photosite size, so IT'S low light ability is and DOES BLOW AWAY the 1DxMk2's! Now what SHOULD BE DONE in the camera industry, is that that manufacturers need to start getting into Medium Format sensor sizes STARTING at 56mm by 42mm at a MINIMUM of 30 megapixels (13.9 microns per photosite) up to 50 megapixels (6.8 microns per photosite) so you KEEP the high end low-light gathering power of the Canon 1DxMk1 and Sony A7s2 BUT get the increased resolution we so very much want these days. Lenses would be easier AND CHEAPER to manufacture AND we would get that beautiful Bokeh inherent to large image sensors!

IDEALLY, we should be moving into aspect ratio agnostic 70mm by 55mm sensors at 8192 by 6144 pixel image size (50.3 megapixels) which would give us an 8.5 micron photosite size which is probably what 99.9997 percent of us will find perfect-enough for BOTH day and night photography! That 70mm x 55mm and 4:3 aspect ratio can be cropped on just the vertical axis to ANY other aspect ratio we need for stills (3:2 and 4:3) and video (16:9 broadcast video or Cinema DCI 1.89:1). With that 50 megapixel we can EASILY use it for almost any stills and video purpose we want with enough LOW-NOISE and HIGH-END LIGHT GATHERING POWER that our imagery will be good for DECADES to come!

Soooooo, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One, etc how about getting 70mm by 55mm sensors at 8092 x 6144 pixels (4:3) onto YOUR cameras !!!!!

BRING IT ON BAAAAAABBEEEEEEEE !!!!!

Upvote 0
"....More bit depth does not in itself produce a wider dynamic range. Cutting the pie into more pieces does not make the pie bigger....."

---

YOU HAVE HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON IT'S GLARING HEAD !!!!!

It's almost all about PHOTOSITE SIZE IN MICRONS!!!

The Canon 1DxMk2 is about 6.3 or 6.4 microns so it's image quality in terms of noise and low light capability is going to be pretty darn good! The Sony A7s2 has about an 11 to 12 micron photosite size, so IT'S low light ability is and DOES BLOW AWAY the 1DxMk2's! Now what SHOULD BE DONE in the camera industry, is that that manufacturers need to start getting into Medium Format sensor sizes STARTING at 56mm by 42mm at a MINIMUM of 30 megapixels (13.9 microns per photosite) up to 50 megapixels (6.8 microns per photosite) so you KEEP the high end low-light gathering power of the Canon 1DxMk1 and Sony A7s2 BUT get the increased resolution we so very much want these days. Lenses would be easier AND CHEAPER to manufacture AND we would get that beautiful Bokeh inherent to large image sensors!

IDEALLY, we should be moving into aspect ratio agnostic 70mm by 55mm sensors at 8192 by 6144 pixel image size (50.3 megapixels) which would give us an 8.5 micron photosite size which is probably what 99.9997 percent of us will find perfect-enough for BOTH day and night photography! That 70mm x 55mm and 4:3 aspect ratio can be cropped on just the vertical axis to ANY other aspect ratio we need for stills (3:2 and 4:3) and video (16:9 broadcast video or Cinema DCI 1.89:1). With that 50 megapixel we can EASILY use it for almost any stills and video purpose we want with enough LOW-NOISE and HIGH-END LIGHT GATHERING POWER that our imagery will be good for DECADES to come!

Soooooo, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Leica, Hasselblad, Phase One, etc how about getting 70mm by 55mm sensors at 8092 x 6144 pixels (4:3) onto YOUR cameras !!!!!

BRING IT ON BAAAAAABBEEEEEEEE !!!!!

And right now, Pentax is the only manufacturer (brand) with a wide range of existing lenses that would work. They even have the camera body. Just need a sensor... :)

As far as "cheaper to manufacture" lenses, look at the current DA Pentax lenses- which are NOT cheap, nor are they made in Japan even.

Upvote 0
And right now, Pentax is the only manufacturer (brand) with a wide range of existing lenses that would work. They even have the camera body. Just need a sensor... :)

As far as "cheaper to manufacture" lenses, look at the current DA Pentax lenses- which are NOT cheap, nor are they made in Japan even.
And....... a doubling of body and lens prices = a fairly small market.

Upvote 0