Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

Jan 27, 2020
The best part of having those wonderfully light, capable, and small EOS M cameras was not having to also cart around heavy glass. The Fuji X-H2 is looking better all the time. Thanks for leaving all your customers who invested in EOS M withering in the wind, Canon. That's right out of Microsoft's playbook.
If you have invested in the M system, just keep using it. It does exactly what is meant to do, offer a small, simple system that is compact and easy to take with you wherever you go.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
With front page posts Craig tends to slip in "EOS M is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED" remarks whenever he can. You'll get used to it :)
Somehow I don't see anything with a worse sensor being a replacement for the M6 Mark II. The R7 is the only APS-C camera that Canon makes that is as good as an M6 Mark II, but still doesn't have any fast, wide primes available. Canon doesn't make a fast, wide prime that can keep up with the 16mm 1.4 from Sigma on the M6 II yet. So, really, the M6 II is still the best Canon APS-C for indoor talking head video, still.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
This is an entry level or slightly higher product designed for a $750 price level. The FX30 is $1800. And Canon would never ever eat into dedicated cinema product lines, especially at this price level.
I was not comparing this to the FX30. I said that if it was something that compared I would buy it. You need to breathe kid.
Canon, for some unknown reason continues to not innovate in the direction that it's customers want or need.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon, for some unknown reason continues to not innovate in the direction that it's customers want or need.
So you believe that you know better than Canon what the majority of their customers want and need? Have you aggregated data from millions of product registrations over several decades? Conducted dozens of global market surveys?

You need to stop making an ass of yourself, kid. If Canon isn’t innovating in a direction that you want or need, it’s fine to say so but really, that’s a you problem.

Don’t presume to speak for the majority of Canon’s customers. The fact that they have led the ILC market for two decades and that currently about half of all ILCs sold every year are made by Canon (more than their major competitors combined) strongly suggests they have accurate knowledge of how to innovate in the direction the majority of their customers want and need.

Upvote 0
Im normally a Canon fanboy but unless this camera can at least match the Sony FX 30 and come with a wide angle power zoom like Sony have anyone below 30 will opt for the Sony.

The R100 will obviously not match the ($2,200 with no lens) Sony FX 30, so put your money where your mouth is and buy the latter. There's no need to wait.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
More junk. The M6 mk 2 is 32.5mp. Sony released junk masquerading as a Cine camera. This is merely an RF Rebel. To replace all of the other junk that isnt selling. While Sony and Canon invest some of their resources to support smartphones and a few super high end cameras they throw all the rest of their trash sensors into the other cameras. Not buying anymore junk cameras with non stacked sensors. Fujifilm set the bar with the X-H2s. Even the GX 7 m3 has a 20mp stacked sensor. Heck, that sensor is 3 years old already. You're being screwed royally purchasing a non stacked sensor. Old hardware technology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
You dont get it. "Canon Rumors" has been "Discontinuing" the M series camera for nearly a decade now. Check the arquives. They've consistantly got it wrong. For their personal reasons. Canon has publicly stated that they are not discontinuing their popular M series. If the M6 is discontinued in small tiny markets it will be replaced by the M6 mk 3 in major markets soon

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
My guess is that the 3 digit name will indicate a budget APS-C model aimed squarely at vloggers and selfie takers. It would be nice to be proven wrong, but I don't expect anything innovative or remotely exciting, just a half-hearted gap-filler in the RF range. It might have a top-hinged tilting screen, but I think a swing-out reversible flippy screen is more likely, and it sure as hell won't have an EVF or even an option to add a shoe-mounted accessory EVF. It's unlikely to have IBIS as it will be primarily a vlogger device. It's almost guaranteed to come with a retractable zoom with a built-in shutter-style lens cap. It will sell in droves to people impressed by styling and the Canon name.
There are better options for vloggers

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Among other things, Canon have recently given us:

8K on R5
eye-controlled AF selection on R3
dual fish-eye lens
autofocusing tilt-shift lens
massively improved AF controller on 1dxiii
innovative combined thumbwheel and AF joystick on R7
class leading ergonomics
very fast roll out of RF lenses

They don't lead in every area (e.g. sensors or battery performance) but to say that they are "dragging their feet" or no longer being "true innovators" is

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This seems to be the R version of an EOS M200, you might not even get 'M' in movie mode, only 'A'! So this is not targeted at the Sigma FP/Sony FX30 crowd, but at the dual-lens-EOS-M-kit buyers.
This is no more than a EOS Rebel replacement. Nothing to do with the M series at. Canon Rumors has been recycling the same M series BS for nearly a decade.

Upvote 0
You dont get it. "Canon Rumors" has been "Discontinuing" the M series camera for nearly a decade now. Check the arquives. They've consistantly got it wrong. For their personal reasons. Canon has publicly stated that they are not discontinuing their popular M series. If the M6 is discontinued in small tiny markets it will be replaced by the M6 mk 3 in major markets soon
Inaction speaks louder than words. The M6 II was released in 2019, and I have seen no evidence that there will ever be a M6 III. The M-series is so unimportant to Canon that they don't even acknowledge its existence in their quarterly financial documents. CanonRumors was very premature in declaring M to be dead, but I believe that it has finally happened.

Upvote 0
How can a 599$-699$ camera match a 1800$ one?

I mean the whole Canon can't compete it's fun but at least choose the right price bracket
Its because people that post here are SUPER unrealistic and out of touch. Many of them want something for nothing. Its not unusual for folks here to think a $600 will have $2k camera features live IBIS ect. Its was the same stuff before the R7 came out people saying things like "oh well i hope it has this that the R3 has, and this that the R3 has" ect even after finding out its a $1500 body.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0